New attributes

dfx

Ha, hätteste ins deutsche Forum geschaut :laughing: da gibts schon einen :sad:

(in the German speaking forum there is already a thread)

i know, i replied there, that's what prompted me to create a thread here :laughing:

... and the ones that tell you about the distance to go! :laughing:

i wonder how the americans will cope with those. "km? what's that?" :(

Ha, hätteste ins deutsche Forum geschaut :laughing: da gibts schon einen :(

(in the German speaking forum there is already a thread)

i know, i replied there, that's what prompted me to create a thread here :sad:

Oops, I forgot :laughing:

... and the ones that tell you about the distance to go! :mad:

i wonder how the americans will cope with those. "km? what's that?" :laughing:

At least they didn't call it "Lost Place" or even "LPC" - funny how different the meanings are in Germany and in America :( Edited by Mezgrman

Very cool! :P I just wish that we could post more than 10.

I'm not sure how to use the park and grab one. Park and grab has a negative connotation to it, but I guess any cache that didn't require more than a few feet to walk would technically be a park and grab. For instance, I have a cache that you park, walk a few feet, have an incredible view of our whole town, and an ammo can. I don't really want to use one of the hike/walk attributes on that, because there really isn't one. But if I put the park and grab attribute on it, then people may filter it out. :)

For instance, I have a cache that you park, walk a few feet, have an incredible view of our whole town, and an ammo can. I don't really want to use one of the hike/walk attributes on that, because there really isn't one. But if I put the park and grab attribute on it, then people may filter it out.
What if you use both the Park and Grab attribute and the Scenic view attribute?

scenic-yes.gifparkngrab-yes.gif

Then, those who are looking for a hike could filter it out because it's a Park and Grab, but those who are looking for scenic views could find it. And of course, the size would be listed as Regular, so those who filter out micros could find it too.

Very cool! :P I just wish that we could post more than 10.

I'm not sure how to use the park and grab one. Park and grab has a negative connotation to it, but I guess any cache that didn't require more than a few feet to walk would technically be a park and grab. For instance, I have a cache that you park, walk a few feet, have an incredible view of our whole town, and an ammo can. I don't really want to use one of the hike/walk attributes on that, because there really isn't one. But if I put the park and grab attribute on it, then people may filter it out. :)

I say it's their loss then. If people put a lot of restriction on what they search for, they're going to miss some good caches. Remember there are people who may be passing through that just want to find P&G's because of time constraints.

I don't see P&Gs as a negative connotation. I just look at it as an easier find.

It seems that the "Significant Hike" attribute has been eliminated and has been automatically replaced with "Medium hike (1km-10km)".

I'm glad that they kept the image of the snake, but to use it to denote all dangerous animals seems a bit strange. I'd hate to be attacked by a Chupacabra because I was too busy watching for snakes.

:)

Very cool! ;) I just wish that we could post more than 10.

I say it's their loss then. If people put a lot of restriction on what they search for, they're going to miss some good caches. Remember there are people who may be passing through that just want to find P&G's because of time constraints.

I don't see P&Gs as a negative connotation. I just look at it as an easier find.

Thanks, good advice. :P

How about if you use the P&G attribute in conjunction with the scenic view attribute?

I'd happily live with missing a few good caches to bypass all the clutter but those few good ones that can be classified as P&G will usually end up back on my list from peoples bookmarks or by word of mouth.

It seems that the "Significant Hike" attribute has been eliminated and has been automatically replaced with "Medium hike (1km-10km)".

I'm glad that they kept the image of the snake, but to use it to denote all dangerous animals seems a bit strange. I'd hate to be attacked by a Chupacabra because I was too busy watching for snakes.

:)

Thanks for pointing it out Don. I'm a little ticked by this. I'd prefer not to use attributes to show distance on the hike. I generally put the actual distance in the description if I think it's it important. A lot of my caches, as you know, have a significant elevation component. Many are rather steep up and down to get to the cache. I'd had to have to put moderate hike because they are less than 10km when they are really a strenuous hike. I'd also hate to leave off the attributes because they become so specific that they don't really apply to my cache anymore. I don't mind that snakes has become dangerous animals. Around here that generally means snakes, but I've heard that people sometimes run across coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and have even had to turn back because of sheep blocking their path :P

Very cool! ;) I just wish that we could post more than 10.

Thanks, good advice. :P

How about if you use the P&G attribute in conjunction with the scenic view attribute?

I'd happily live with missing a few good caches to bypass all the clutter but those few good ones that can be classified as P&G will usually end up back on my list from peoples bookmarks or by word of mouth.

Yeah, that's what I'll do. The scenic attribute is already on there. I guess people just have to figure it out, if it's important to them!

the hiking distance attributes strike me as somewhat odd... with the old "signifikant hike" attribute, it was clear: either it is one, or it isn't, or you don't say anything about it. now there's three different attributes, each of which can be individually set or even negated.

now if there's 500 meters to walk, what should i do? i can set "not a medium hike", which is the old "not significant hike" attribute converted. or i can set the "short hike" attribute. if i do that, should i then also set the "not a medium hike" attribute, and maybe even the "not a long hike" attribute?

what if it's >10 km hike? i can set that attribute, but should i then also set the "not a short hike" and "not a medium hike" attributes?

PS: those are rhethorical questions.

Edited by dfx
For the hike distances, does the "No" option make any sense?

The hike length has to fall into one of the three categories, so saying it is "Not Less than 10km" could mean it's 1km or less or more than 10km. Can we just eliminate the "No" option for those Attributes.

+1.

For the hike distances, does the "No" option make any sense?

The hike length has to fall into one of the three categories,

Actually, I have a cache on a through trail. It's three miles from one trail head and 600' from another. I used both the <1km and <10km attributes.

Can we just eliminate the "No" option for those Attributes.

Agree, the option just confuses the issue.

So, to summarize - since they didn't consider this important enough to add it to the "release notes"...

New in the past few weeks:

Truck Driver/RVrv-yes.gif

Field Puzzlefield_puzzle-yes.gif

UV Light RequiredUV-yes.gif

Snowshoessnowshoes-yes.gif

Cross Country Skisskiis-yes.gif

Special Tool Requireds-tool-yes.gif

Night Cachenightcache-yes.gif

Park and Grabparkngrab-yes.gif

Abandoned StructureAbandonedBuilding-yes.gif

Short hike (less than 1km)hike_short-yes.gif

Medium hike (1km-10km)hike_med-yes.gif

Long Hike (+10km)hike_long-yes.gif

Fuel Nearbyfuel-yes.gif

Food Nearbyfood-yes.gif

Lost And Found Tour (Unselectable) landf-yes.gif

Plus "Snakes" has been turned into "Dangerous Animals" and the "Significant Hike" was automatically converted to "Medium Hike".

hiking-no.gif

Now if we can just get them to add Mud, Magnets, fishing and BYOP we'll be onto something!

Is Field Puzzle not an attribute option when creating a pocket query? I don't see it there.

What about a oneway hike of 0.8km? Is it <1 or <10 (as you may want to get back to your car)?

Hmmm...

I personaly would mention it in the listing description anyway.

I'd go with the round trip hike myself. But I'm sure this is an example of something different COs will handle differently.

Edited by rob3k

The Significant Height attribute should have just been removed completely since we now have attributes that indicate the distance.

It was.

What's shocking is that for the first time in 49 years, I have to deal with kilometers. :laughing:

(Edit:punctuation)

Edited by Don_J

I just happened to notice the hover text for the Abandoned Structure says "IN ABANDONED STRUCTURE". I love finding caches out in the middle of the woods neared abandoned buildings but I would never put one INSIDE! That's downright unsafe and probably historic sacrilege. They should either change the text to just "Abandoned Structure" or move it down to the Hazards section.

I just happened to notice the hover text for the Abandoned Structure says "IN ABANDONED STRUCTURE". I love finding caches out in the middle of the woods neared abandoned buildings but I would never put one INSIDE! That's downright unsafe and probably historic sacrilege. They should either change the text to just "Abandoned Structure" or move it down to the Hazards section.
Oh, that's a good point to see the differences between German caches and American ones - in Germany we have many caches IN abandoned buildings such as industrial buildings or old, unused areas - we call them "Lost Places". :laughing:
Oh, that's a good point to see the differences between German caches and American ones - in Germany we have many caches IN abandoned buildings such as industrial buildings or old, unused areas - we call them "Lost Places". :laughing:

The Significant Height attribute should have just been removed completely since we now have attributes that indicate the distance.

Significant hike was removed completely. However caches that had the significant hike attribute were automatically changed to medium hike (between 1 and 10 km). The problem with that is now I have to go and check my caches because some are more than 10 km and they now have an attribute saying they are less than 10 km. :)

On top of that, I think the distances aren't particularly useful for my caches. I have a lot that are less than 10 km, but they have a lot of elevation gain and loss. I think these are more difficult hikes than a relatively level hike of more than 10 km. On top of that, some may have alternate trail heads that can be used. One way may be more than 10 km. while the other is less. Yet the longer route may be the one more likely to be used and in some cases the longer route may actually be the easier hike. I guess I could be like Don and use both medium and long hike icons :huh:

I really wish there had been some discussion before these changes were made. This is the major complaint I have about the feedback site. It doesn't really encourage discussion. Not only is there no "I don't like this idea button", but the way that site works makes discussion of fine points of proposal difficult to follow. This is probably good in that it encourages people to put forth ideas that they would be reluctant to here because they fear getting flamed. But if TPTB are implementing ideas from that site that haven't been thuroughly thought out then it's not such a good thing. :laughing:

Oh, that's a good point to see the differences between German caches and American ones - in Germany we have many caches IN abandoned buildings such as industrial buildings or old, unused areas - we call them "Lost Places". :huh:

Sounds like fun caching - if your GPS receiver can see the satellites from inside the building! :laughing: The icon doesn't look like a cool Lost Place - it looks like it is about to fall over. New icon suggestion: Hard-Hat Needed!

AbandonedBuilding-yes.gif

Oh, that's a good point to see the differences between German caches and American ones - in Germany we have many caches IN abandoned buildings such as industrial buildings or old, unused areas - we call them "Lost Places". :D

Sounds like fun caching - if your GPS receiver can see the satellites from inside the building! :huh: The icon doesn't look like a cool Lost Place - it looks like it is about to fall over. New icon suggestion: Hard-Hat Needed!

AbandonedBuilding-yes.gif

Oh, it's almost always so that you don't need your GPSr inside :P

But they are often funny, interesting (especially in industrial buildings with electronic parts lying around :D) and also a bit scary - it's often dark and you hear noises... :laughing: )

The "Hard-Hat" attribute would be fine for cave caches I think! :)

Edited by Mezgrman
I'm not sure how to use the park and grab one. Park and grab has a negative connotation to it, but I guess any cache that didn't require more than a few feet to walk would technically be a park and grab. For instance, I have a cache that you park, walk a few feet, have an incredible view of our whole town, and an ammo can. I don't really want to use one of the hike/walk attributes on that, because there really isn't one. But if I put the park and grab attribute on it, then people may filter it out. :D

I'm kind of in the same boat. We have done a LOT of park and grabs that take you to great places that people would miss if they filtered them out.

Here's a photo of a park and grab at Lake Champlain in Vermont that you can park right next to. Gorgeous views and a very quick cache.

Also, what designates a park and grab? Generally, I consider anything less than maybe 250 feet a park and grab, even if it's in the woods. I might even consider 500 feet away a park and grab if you can get out of the car, run there quickly and grab it, but I imagine most folks think of them being closer and on pavement or just a short distance off?

700032366_z7Wbz-M.jpg

Also, what designates a park and grab? Generally, I consider anything less than maybe 250 feet a park and grab, even if it's in the woods. I might even consider 500 feet away a park and grab if you can get out of the car, run there quickly and grab it, but I imagine most folks think of them being closer and on pavement or just a short distance off?

I was talking about this yesterday with my main caching partner. My thought was a cache where you can park within 20 feet (or at least clear view) of GZ. I have one where you can park at a trail head a few hundred feet walk along a wooded trail to the cache, but I decided that isn't P&G enough for me to use the attribute.

http://geolex.locusprime.net/ defines it as:

"A easy-to-find cache that you can get very close to by car."

Could we have a Parking Lot/Parking Garage attribute? I like 'small or larger' park & grabs especially on sweltering hot days or really cold days or when my time is limited. But parking lot (or parking garage) caches don't interest me. If I filter out P&Gs to get rid of parking lot hides, I'd be filtering out quite a few that I actually enjoy finding.

Hiking length - I assume that means a round trip, to the cache and back to the car. So if the cache is 900m from the parking area it would be a medium hike (1-10km) not a short hike (<1km). Correct?

that's how i interpret it too, unless you decide to stay in the woods :D

I was talking about this yesterday with my main caching partner. My thought was a cache where you can park within 20 feet (or at least clear view) of GZ. I have one where you can park at a trail head a few hundred feet walk along a wooded trail to the cache, but I decided that isn't P&G enough for me to use the attribute.

This is basically how I see it. If you need to walk/hike up a dirt trail, it is not a Park n' grab.

Park and grab has a negative connotation to it,

Only in these forums and between some people that think that all caches should be buried deep in the woods.

If I'm heading down a US Hwy and have a time limit, and also need to stop and stretch my legs, a PnG guardrail cache may be just what I need at that moment.