I need to filter out caches in a PQ

I know how to use PQs and how to use the filters they provide. However, I have an unusual requirement: I need a PQ that will give me 900 caches distributed more or less evenly over a given area. The filters I've tried either give me too many or too few. Just asking for 900 caches gives me a high density at the center and no caches at the extremes. How do I get just a random distribution?

I know how to use PQs and how to use the filters they provide. However, I have an unusual requirement: I need a PQ that will give me 900 caches distributed more or less evenly over a given area. The filters I've tried either give me too many or too few. Just asking for 900 caches gives me a high density at the center and no caches at the extremes. How do I get just a random distribution?

You could try a date range and adjust it until you get your 900 caches for a given area.

somegeek

try moving the center of your query on the map.. it could be that there is more cache density at the center of your PQ

move it over a few miles and i bet the dense spot stays there..

you could also ignore some cache sizes, or your finds or things like that.

the date is a good idea as well..

I guess the first question that comes to mind is why, that would be interesting to know.

Another issue is that he is not asking for random because random number generators do not produce even results.

You would have to export the data to a spreadsheet or DB file and then run an application that started with one you picked and then moved a certain radius outwards to a distance you would define then select those close to that line. Delete all those between the first one and all those selected. Then increase the radius again but even that wouldn't be even if the starting selection wasn't even.

Since the disbursement of caches isn't even you would have a hard time getting what you want.

The date range thing is a good idea. The other side benefit of using something like the oldest 900 is that they are more likely to have longevity after you initially identify them than ones that were just put out.

After typing that, I realized it's kind of circular thinking - they're more likely to be out there for a long time because they've been out there a long time.

To answer the "why" question: I live in Los Angeles. My job takes me all over the place. There's thousands of caches I haven't found. I want to give myself a chance of being able to find a cache within a few miles of anywhere I may happen to go. However, my GPS only holds 999 waypoints. So, I want 900 that are distributed all around.

Thinking about it, I suppose using the date restriction is probably the best bet. Thanks for that idea. However, what I may do is 2 PQs. One from the beginning of time to date X and one from date Y to today. I can adjust X and Y to deliver the right number of caches without cutting off any really old or any really new caches.

To answer the "why" question: I live in Los Angeles. My job takes me all over the place. There's thousands of caches I haven't found. I want to give myself a chance of being able to find a cache within a few miles of anywhere I may happen to go. However, my GPS only holds 999 waypoints. So, I want 900 that are distributed all around.

Thinking about it, I suppose using the date restriction is probably the best bet. Thanks for that idea. However, what I may do is 2 PQs. One from the beginning of time to date X and one from date Y to today. I can adjust X and Y to deliver the right number of caches without cutting off any really old or any really new caches.

Do you use GSAK?

I wonder if you posted your request in their forums, if one of the expert macro writers could come up with a way to take a random sampling of a database that covered a wide area?

I understand your dilemma. I'm just over the hill from you and usually have the closest 900 caches loaded. If I unexpectedly end up downtown, I will have no local caches loaded.

I do have an idea of how to do what you want manually with GSAK, but it's beyond the scope of this forum. If you are interested, drop me an email.

Do nine pocket queries for 100 caches each, instead of one query for 900 caches. Set the center of each PQ to minimize overlap. Then, wherever you go, there you are.