Nano

Team_Sandman

What about a option for picking a nano cache when hiding a cache since there is a option for a micro, reg ect.. but not anything smaller than a micro

There is already a designation. Micro is for 35 mm or less.

Herein lies the problem. TeamSandman, and just about everyone else in the world who ever hid a nano doesn't know that a micro is 35 mm or less, and that a nano is a micro. We can say it all day, but we're still going to see the overwhelming majority of nanos get published as "other" or "not listed". Such as the not listed that came into my inbox about an hour ago. :(

If they're not going to give us the size designation (and they probably aren't), I guess every reviewer in the world is going to have to start questioning every "other" and "not listed" that comes into their que, because practically no one is correctly listing nanos as micros.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

no, the problem is that selecting "micro" for a nano doesn't tell people what they need to know. they still need to put in the description that it's a nano, and because of that they might as well just select "other", as the subtitle for "other" says "see description".

What about a option for picking a nano cache when hiding a cache since there is a option for a micro, reg ect.. but not anything smaller than a micro

With a new cache size of nano, then 35mm cans and altoids tins will become the new small, what is small now will become regulars, what is now regulars will become large, and then we are stuck with what do we call larges?

The problem is already solved if one would actually read the guidelines for hiding a cache ....

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

Herein lies the problem. TeamSandman, and just about everyone else in the world who ever hid a nano doesn't know that a micro is 35 mm or less, and that a nano is a micro.

If they can't be bothered to read the guidelines and irresponsibly check the box that says they have, the problem lies in the integrity of the hide.

Being in one of the large metro areas, this does not seem to be that big a problem around here, as I doubt it is a significant issue in other areas. If it is, the local reviewer should consider questioning listings with Other and Not Listed.

With a new cache size of nano, then 35mm cans and altoids tins will become the new small, what is small now will become regulars, what is now regulars will become large, and then we are stuck with what do we call larges?

The problem is already solved if one would actually read the guidelines for hiding a cache ....

Not really a problem if they add the following to the dropdown menu. It even will clear things up for those who don't bother to read the guidelines before placement;

- Micro Micro (between nano and micro)

- Extra Small (between micro and small)

- Large Small (Between small and regular)

- Large Regular (Between Regular and large)

- Large Large (Between Large and Macro)

- Macro (Bigger than a Large)

- Large Macro (Much bigger than a Macro)

- Virtual Nano (A nano with nothing in it)

- Virtual Micro (Micro with a Nano in it)

- Virtual Small (A small with a micro in it)

- Virtual Regular (A regular with a small in it)

- Virtual Large (A large with a Regular in it)

- Virtual Macro (A macro with a large in it)

Edited by baloo&bd

no, the problem is that selecting "micro" for a nano doesn't tell people what they need to know. they still need to put in the description that it's a nano, and because of that they might as well just select "other", as the subtitle for "other" says "see description".

Nnno, I'd much more highly prefer if they put it as micro. If I'm geocaching on the go... which is virtually all of my geocaching... I don't get a chance to read the cache description typically. However, the icon name on my GPS is set to show the cache size and type (ie: T 23SD4 M, the middle part being the GC code without the GC). At least if it shows "M" instead of "O", I'll know to look for a small cache container, instead of 'possibly ANY size of cache container'.

I disagree. By selecting micro the cache owner is telling the cache is most likely too small to contain any swag and that I most likely will need to bring my own pen and pencil. This is true for a nano, a bison tube, a 35 mm film can, most hide-a-keys, or any other micro sized cache. Small will tell me the cache can hold small swag items and may or may not have a pencil. Regular and Large caches hold progressively large items, probably have a pen or pencil, and a full sized log book.

That's all the information I need to know when I go out to look for a cache. If you need to know that the caches is a black magnetic blinky attached to the back of the street sign five feet above the ground, then read the cache page or the hint. Don't ask for a different size for every container and attributes to tell you how it is hidden. Part of the game is to figure out what you are looking for and how it is hidden.

If nano became a size, where would a bison tube fall?
That depends on how the updated guidelines define "micro" and "nano". I haven't seen any proposed definitions though, just requests for a new size for nanos.

Personally, I consider Bison tubes to be nanos, until you get to the Scuba Tank (Micro-Cache Capsule) or Extra Large sizes, which I consider full micros. But that's because my personal definition of "nano" is that it is only big enough to hold a custom-fit log sheet.