Geocaching with kids

bwpilko

Hi -

I have two boys - ages 6 & 4 - and I think geocaching would be so much fun. But I have no idea where to start. I don't want to lay down hundreds of dollars to go treasure hunting with my kids. Maybe when they are teenagers that would be ok - but for now...I want to spend minimal dollars because they are young and what if they hate it? (i know they won't...it's treasure hunting!!!)

I want something basic - I don't need anything too high tech or paperless. Something cheap to find some of the local caches that I see are located in local parks & playgrounds... I'm not talking hour treks in the woods just yet. If, in a few years - we all love it and the boys are bigger and can last for an hour trek - I would buy something more powerful - but for now - something cheap that works would be just fine.

I would love feedback.

Thanks so much!

Bretany

i cached with a 5 & 3y old. mostly the 5y old, they love it. we do simple caches, drive up, or park caches or when camping along the drive.

buy a USED one, check the GARAGE SALE section on here. you can get a great unit for $100

what exactly would your budget be? you can probably get a great price on a garmin 60cx (under $200 up here in canada) or try for a used Legend HCx or Vista HCx.

don't get something too old. with garmin, you can get free legal maps from various sites.

Edited by brucered

I agree with the previous poster. I have had a Garmin eTrex Legend and now I own a Garmin 60CSx. I wanted a handheld the could give me driving directions to get to a cache site then allow me to go on foot or bike to the posted coordinates of the cache. I purchase the City Navigator Maps for my 60CSx. I has been a great combination.

If you can find an eTrex used I say go for it. New they are right around $100.

Be safe, have fun and enjoy geocaching.

i tried out a VENTUR HC from costco, that thing was sooooooo slow it wasn't even funny or fun to cache. waiting 15sec for screens to refresh etc.

i would go USED, if you are with kids it's going to get dropped and scratched anyway, they want to hold it and use it as well (even if they don't understand it), my 5y old can use the map portion and navigate to it no problem.

decide which one you want, then post a WANTED ADD on the garage link. i would say spend a bit more and try for a 60Cx or 60CSx, as a lot are getting dumped right now for the 62 series. should be able to grab a used 60cx for $125 or so. in fact, my brother got a 60cx in box, new off kijij last year up here in canada for $150, and that was before the 62 came out.

just googled and saw that basspro in the US had the 60csx for $200 back in may and there was an additional 20% off cpn, so that puts in at $160. sweet deal. wait it out, it's end of summer, see what comes up, don't rush it.

Thanks everyone for the input. I was looking to spend about $100 - not much more - so I will definitely use your advice. I don't want one that is super slow either...that would stink with two kids!! :)

My hubby downloaded a free GPS app on his iPhone - I think you get to use it three times for free and then you pay $10. for it. Anyone have any experience with this? I actually hate his iPhone - so I have little faith.

Next week is my bday- so this is what I'm gunning for.

Thanks again!

Bretany

Thanks everyone for the input. I was looking to spend about $100 - not much more - so I will definitely use your advice. I don't want one that is super slow either...that would stink with two kids!! :)

My hubby downloaded a free GPS app on his iPhone - I think you get to use it three times for free and then you pay $10. for it. Anyone have any experience with this? I actually hate his iPhone - so I have little faith.

Thanks again!

Bretany

A very nice BD present would be the eTrex Legend.

Happy Birthday in advance... My BD is on Wednesday of next week. Hooray for us. :P;)

Thanks everyone for the input. I was looking to spend about $100 - not much more - so I will definitely use your advice. I don't want one that is super slow either...that would stink with two kids!! :laughing:

Thanks again!

Bretany

If all you want is something simple to use and straightforward you should really think about the Geomate Jr.

The Groundspeak store has them for $69. It's a real GPS stripped down to basics, and more importantly your six year old can probably use it by himself. There's an arrow which tell them which way to walk and how far they are from the cache.

It's cheap, kid friendly and easy to use.

CLICK HERE FOR THE GEOMATE JR. AT THE Groundspeak SHOP

We geocache with our kids all the time. We have a Garmin and had been using it in conjunction with my Palm Pre, which was ok, but sometimes frustrating. I just got a new phone, a Sprint EVO, and use it exclusively. The GPS on my phone is much more accurate than the Garmin was and faster than the Pre was. So I would suggest trying to IPhone app first. There are a few free apps for most of the smartphones out there and you can see what works best for you without spending any money.

Hi -

I have two boys - ages 6 & 4 - and I think geocaching would be so much fun. But I have no idea where to start. I don't want to lay down hundreds of dollars to go treasure hunting with my kids. Maybe when they are teenagers that would be ok - but for now...I want to spend minimal dollars because they are young and what if they hate it? (i know they won't...it's treasure hunting!!!)

I want something basic - I don't need anything too high tech or paperless. Something cheap to find some of the local caches that I see are located in local parks & playgrounds... I'm not talking hour treks in the woods just yet. If, in a few years - we all love it and the boys are bigger and can last for an hour trek - I would buy something more powerful - but for now - something cheap that works would be just fine.

I would love feedback.

Thanks so much!

Bretany

Thanks everyone for the input. I was looking to spend about $100 - not much more . . . My hubby downloaded a free GPS app on his iPhone - I think you get to use it three times for free and then you pay $10. for it. Anyone have any experience with this? I actually hate his iPhone

Bretany

Before buying a gpsr check the user reviews on the geocaching web site. In general I would recommend something a little more flexible than geomate, jr. But I started out with a very simple gpsr - a old Magellan meridian that I bought used - and found over a thousand caches with it before upgrading. You don't need all the bells and whistles to have a good time.

In general you might be happier if the unit has a sensitive receiver and mapping. Both can come in handy.

As far as the iPhone, I have found several caches with it. While I prefer geosphere to the Groundspeak app, it works best with premium membership and pocket queries. The iPhone has its issues (what model does your husband use?), accuracy may be an issue under many conditions, but it has introduced a lot of people to caching. It can be a good companion to a handheld since it has paperless features - access to the title, description, hint, and past logs can make caching a lot less frustrating.

In addition to the for sale listings on these forums, many local caching groups have web sites with classifieds. Check the usual sources, see what is available and look at the reviews.

Edited by mulvaney