My Lost Bugs

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite

It's pretty frustrating when they get lost. My latest one was taken from a cache and no cacher will say they taken it. It's just lost. Two others have been idle for months now. Now my 4th and final TB is going to be placed into a montly Pizza event. Whoever picks that bug up will be able to select the site of the next pizza event.

But I'm done with sending regular TB's out there. It was fun when they were moving but now like others mine have either be lulled to sleep or they have been stolen.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

LB...

Don't get discouraged. I haven't yet placed a bug, but I'd like to. I read about all the folks and their missing bugs, so I'm doing research to find out what type of bugs go missing.

According to Markwell, the most successful bugs are characters that are already in American culture. Star Wars, Scooby, Superfriends, Smurfs... things that already exist. Markwell says that it seems that people like to move those along.

On the other hand, bugs with ill-planned goals, or bugs that don't generate some sort of excitement (relatively speaking, of course... it's a bug we're talking about) probably won't do as well.

Maybe we can turn this into a dialogue about how to create bugs that don't end up in the hands of a person who doesn't move it along.

Jamie

I know how you feel LB&MM. I have also released 4 TB's and have 3 more here that I just haven't been motivated to set loose yet.

Of my original 4... the first that I released in Oct made the most ground... up until 3 months ago she had made steady ground between NY and her goal of Los Alamos New Mexico... she made it all the way to Austin Tx and now it seems the cacher that picked up poor Old Bet just isn't into caching anymore. At first he wrote me.. then when he still didn't place her he responded to my emails.. now not even that *sigh*

The second disappeared in November, less then a month after release.

The third I asked a fellow enthusiastic cacher that was moving west if she would be interested in helping out. My nephews from NM while visiting named a bug and helped me stash it so in trying to get them psyched for Old Bet's arrival I thought it would help to have the bug they stashed arrive quickly. She was very enthusiastic but dropped off the face of the earth since her arrival in AZ (I worry about her)

The last one I sent out was Gilbert.. who also carried along his own traveling cache.. he is self contained and does not need to placed in a cache(I thought that would make it easier for people to place him), he can also be treated as a regular cache and not moved...he's out of service for 2 months now.

I keep trying to tell myself that I am expecting too much and I just need to be patient. Travel Bugs don't live a human timeline... more a recreation timeline which is not nearly as steady as any of us want. But I have to admit my patience is wearing thin.. probably because none of them is moving... maybe if I put a few more out there probability will be more in my favor. I don't know.

Jamie I wish that I felt dialogue would help. I released Old Bet within the first month of TB creation... I sent out a laminated card with her back then (yeah ok too wordy but hey..what can I do ;-) I've been in contact with most everyone that's moved her along... but basically the gist of it is it's out of our control. I think patience is definitely underrated with TB's.

On my next laminated card I will add in there something to the affect of "If you find me, no matter where or when you find me, go to the computer and try logging me in...you might be surprised to find I have a life and loved ones that are anxious to hear of my adventures and whereabouts no matter how far astray I've wandered."

Good Luck LB&MM

For our first two travel bugs, we sent out a pair of mini beanie babies-- a sheep and a giraffe. The sheep has made it through about 5 caches so far, but the giraffe went missing after the second cache. icon_frown.gif

In hindsight, we now suspect that both of them were too cute to be travel bugs. I'm imagining a scenario where someone just took off those pesky tags around his neck (including the laminated card with detailed instructions) and gave it to their kid to keep. Poor Twigs, he didn't even come close to reaching his destination (England).

Dralasites: biological, not geological.

For our first two travel bugs, we sent out a pair of mini beanie babies-- a sheep and a giraffe. The sheep has made it through about 5 caches so far, but the giraffe went missing after the second cache. icon_frown.gif

In hindsight, we now suspect that both of them were too cute to be travel bugs. I'm imagining a scenario where someone just took off those pesky tags around his neck (including the laminated card with detailed instructions) and gave it to their kid to keep. Poor Twigs, he didn't even come close to reaching his destination (England).

Dralasites: biological, not geological.

After nine months of waiting for a geocacher to release my geomoney travel bug, I had finally admitted that there are bad geocachers out there that should be dragged into the street and kicked hard up the arse!

I finally decided to replace my lost bugs with a replica. I eventually tracked down a toystore and my geomonkey, Gus the Gorilla has been resurrected. I had to do the same thing with E.T

463_200.jpg

Good Old Gus!!!

9929_1400.gif

This idea won't stop thieves from stealing them, but it might stop people from holding them for ever.

Proposed rule: If you take a travel bug, you must log it on the net within 24 hours. If you take the bug, you must place it again within a week.

Second proposed rule: All bugs should be placed in high-traffic caches or specifically designated bug hotels. (Too many bugs are placed in caches that just don't get the traffic to move them or are in areas that are too isolated not to be tempting targets for the "honesty-challenged".)

Perhaps a central place to mail a collected TB if you find you can't place it within a reasonable time (and that time would be-- ?)?

Perhaps if it was easier to-- no. If you can find out about a cache, you can log a TB.

When I release a TB (which is inevitable), I think I'll *sew* the dog tag to it. That'll make it harder for others to blithely remove the evidence of their theiving actions! icon_wink.gif

Perhaps a central place to mail a collected TB if you find you can't place it within a reasonable time (and that time would be-- ?)?

Perhaps if it was easier to-- no. If you can find out about a cache, you can log a TB.

When I release a TB (which is inevitable), I think I'll *sew* the dog tag to it. That'll make it harder for others to blithely remove the evidence of their theiving actions! icon_wink.gif

I'm against turning this hobby into something where you'll need a rulebook. Maybe the golden rule is enough.

Probably the biggest thing that happens to bugs is they get picked up by someone new who doesn't really know what it's about or they are too darn cute and temptation overwhelms a person and they just keep it for themselves. I still have two out there in the hands of cachers that just haven't placed it yet and one that has disappeared bewteen cacher visits.

I'm pretty much done with the TB thing now. I'll circulate the Pizza Bug to add a little fun for our monthly Pizza gatherings but that's it.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Wow. Such pessimism.

I've had moderate success with my bugs. Six now and one set of travellers (pre-bug) that just made it home after just over a year of travelling and 4,184.57 miles (all in the continental US).

With that in mind, I'll be re-releasing the Pre-Bug Travellers after a sufficient rest and sending them out again. I'm also buying at least two more travel bugs - one to add to the Challenge of the Superfriends and another one because I just got the coolest little magnetic monkey man thingy.

I have had some bugs held much longer than necessary, but I try to e-mail those cachers on a 30 day cycle to make sure they're still involved and going to place my bug. I've been tempted to contact every cache owner that picks up my travellers and thank them.

I know, I know - some people don't LOG that they took them. The additional info card seems to help, though. Now at least they've been warned that they need to think twice before taking the bug.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Of my original 4... the first that I released in Oct made the most ground... up until 3 months ago she had made steady ground between NY and her goal of Los Alamos New Mexico... she made it all the way to Austin Tx and now it seems the cacher that picked up poor Old Bet just isn't into caching anymore. At first he wrote me.. then when he still didn't place her he responded to my emails.. now not even that *sigh*

One thought I had, was to ask help from other local cachers if you know where the TB went missing, such as in this case. I think if a cacher for some reason or other has trouble placing the TB in a new cache such as being too busy or just not interested in caching anymore, I'm sure there would be some active local cachers willing to pick up the TB from the person and get him going again.

That being said, Ttepee, let me know if you would like me to help you to try to get your bug from the local cacher and get it going on its way.

For other cities, searching the local cache logs and especially event cache logs should show you who the active cachers in the area are. You can also browse the forums for people posting from the area you are needing help in. Or someone could start a web site with a TB SWAT team of cachers willing to help out in these situations. Anybody out there with a good GC web site willing to add this to their info?

Being new to geocaching should not be an excuse. We are fairly new to the game, and took two travelbugs. I promptly logged the bugs, then emailed the owners to let them know what I was planning to do with them, because it was going to take awhile.

one of them was Markwell's Wonderwoman travel bug she's going to Iowa with us next weekend.

So there is no excuse for not logging the bugs and getting in touch with the owners right away to let them know what's up.

I so far, have had good luck with all my travel bugs. The only ones not moving are the two in a cache that hasnt yet been found http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25272

However, I grabbed up a travel bug that was super cute, and we made a big point of moving it to the FURTHEST cache we found on a geocache spree weekend, to get some miles. Well, I don't know if I complained too much about the stinging nettles around the cache, or the bugs, but the cache owner archived the cache right after I logged it. POOF! GONE! along with the travel bug! I contacted the bug owner and we have BOTH tried to contact the cache owner to no avail. Sad to see a travel bug get so far to just disappear! Or, maybe something happened to the owner? Check out the cache page (now archived) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14840 I don't know how someone with a few hundred finds would ever knowingly take a travel bug out of service! It has only been a few months so maybe he is still out there. icon_rolleyes.gif

I so far, have had good luck with all my travel bugs. The only ones not moving are the two in a cache that hasnt yet been found http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25272

However, I grabbed up a travel bug that was super cute, and we made a big point of moving it to the FURTHEST cache we found on a geocache spree weekend, to get some miles. Well, I don't know if I complained too much about the stinging nettles around the cache, or the bugs, but the cache owner archived the cache right after I logged it. POOF! GONE! along with the travel bug! I contacted the bug owner and we have BOTH tried to contact the cache owner to no avail. Sad to see a travel bug get so far to just disappear! Or, maybe something happened to the owner? Check out the cache page (now archived) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14840 I don't know how someone with a few hundred finds would ever knowingly take a travel bug out of service! It has only been a few months so maybe he is still out there. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

The last one I sent out was Gilbert.. who also carried along his own traveling cache.....he's out of service for 2 months now.

Just thought I'd update my last post here. Gilbert was hidden and picked up again in less then 24 hours. Another happy Travel Bug icon_smile.gif

quote:

The last one I sent out was Gilbert.. who also carried along his own traveling cache.....he's out of service for 2 months now.

Just thought I'd update my last post here. Gilbert was hidden and picked up again in less then 24 hours. Another happy Travel Bug icon_smile.gif

I have no idea if this travel bug is yours, but my husband found one on his first cache find and brought it home to me. I don't know what cache he found it in, but it's Hot Wheel travel bug found in the Lake Elsinore area. he has aquired a voice "blah, blah, blah" and music from Maui via Mammoth Mountain Mine cache. Now that I know what he is and how to track him he's going back on the road. Look for him along 395 in the big pine area near the tubs within a month. Sorry about the delay. cache away icon_confused.gif

I have no idea if this travel bug is yours, but my husband found one on his first cache find and brought it home to me. I don't know what cache he found it in, but it's Hot Wheel travel bug found in the Lake Elsinore area. he has aquired a voice "blah, blah, blah" and music from Maui via Mammoth Mountain Mine cache. Now that I know what he is and how to track him he's going back on the road. Look for him along 395 in the big pine area near the tubs within a month. Sorry about the delay. cache away icon_confused.gif

If we impose various rules on the bugs and say geocaches become so numerous that traffic just diminishes, then a week is not a viable time limit. Maybe 21 days or some such or if the owner of the cache sees he has a bug in his cache for a long time perhaps he can be permitted to move it on himself regardless of who out it there. Just chill guys and I feel bad for your missing bugs but there has to be a solution.

Maybe we need a Groundspeak panel to make a ruling, a supreme geocacher team if you will. I'll volunterr.

Yiha! Old Bet has now been released too! Austin cachers alert! If anyone can help out an old elephant with way itchy feet we'd be much appreciative.

I wonder what the chances are of her making it to New Mexico in a month. I'll be out there in August... it'd be neat to meet up with her to change her laminated tag with her new goals. I think I'll make it in hopes that she gets there by then.

Hi,

I am just repeating what others have said, but

I've used both e-mail and the forums to help

my travel bugs along. I had one bug that sat

in a cache for a very long time... so I posted

a topic to the appropriate area (New Zealand)

and it was picked up with in a week... after

sitting idle for months!

I've also sent e-mail to people to make sure

things are well with my travel bugs. Most people

get back to me right away.

As far as rules, I don't think I could replace

a bug in a week's time. I try not to hold them

too long, but sometimes a bug's goal will require

a little bit of planning.

I think people need to be patient when it comes

to travel bugs. I'm happy as long as mine are

not missing, and the holder responds to e-mail.

I know that all is well, and when they get the

chance, they will drop the bug.

This is much better than not knowing...

/AlienPuppy

I'm not throwing away any more money on bugs. My biggest concerns:

1. Bugs get left in remote caches or seldom visited caches.

2. Bugs getting left in the last cache of a challenging multi-cache.

3. Bugs that just vanish off the face of the earth. I've found that in my own caches that for every 3 logs in the book, only two of those get logged on the website.

4. Well intentioned cachers who claim to be going on some far-flung globe-trotting vacation who hold onto the bug for several months only to release it in a cache 6 miles from where they grabbed it.

5. Cachers who grab bugs but don't respond to e-mail inquiries. I wait at least a month before sending my first note. I'm always very polite but it's 50/50 if the person will respond.

I like the idea of the bugs and will help the ones I find move along but I'm not buying any more.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

Dont think rules will help. Common courtesy would though. Ive been to several caches that had bugs and ive picked up 3 only because i figured i was going to be caching again soon. Took me about 3 weeks to get my first TB find, Blue back out. Work and other family problems got in the way, however i did find time to email his owner and let him know what was going on.. Of course he appreciated that, as i know all of us would. Again, i think common courtesy is what we should all practice!