Fee Free Weekend

Right Wing Wacko

All national forests, national parks, national wildlife refuges, and many areas managed by the Bureau of Land Management will offer free admission August 14-15, 2010. To locate a recreational area by state, activity, or agency, visit the link in the FAQ at USA.gov.

Since the WSGA campout is fairly close to Mt Rainier NP I thought some of our members/campers would like to take advantage of this. I beleive (but have not confirmed) that this also means that the NW Forest Pass will not be required for parking at trailheads this weekend.

Oooh, if anyone knows for sure on the NW Forest Pass, I'd love to know - I'm doing a hike tomorrow that requires one and that would save me a stop at REI. Since I'm like a kid in a candy store at REI, I should try to avoid making that stop. :(

I have not been successfull at finding a National Forest website with this information, however several newspapers are reporting as follows:

Per the Wenatchee World:

WENATCHEE — The US Forest Service is offering fee waivers to national forests this weekend.

“The Forest Service is working to ensure as many visitors as possible have the opportunity to experience the great outdoors and take advantage of the many recreational activities national forests have to offer,” said Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell. “By waiving fees, everyone will have the opportunity to enjoy the wonder and rejuvenation of recreation on national forests.”

The Wenatchee World

Per a San Diego Newspaper (San Diego News)

Fee waivers for Saturday and Sunday apply at trail heads, parking areas, picnic spots and other places in the forests. Campground charges won't disappear.

San Diego News