Virtual caches

escomag

Do other cachers chase virtuals? I figure these are the caches that will go extinct(along of course with webcam, ape,etc.)

I plan whole trips around a cluster of virtuals, and try to grab ones on the way. Anyone can chuck a piece of tupperware into the woods, and call it a cache, but the virtuals can not be created. Nor passed. How long will the CO's be active in the game?

curious,

Escomag

I do... now. I didn't even consider virtuals and earths for the first 600 or so caches, and then thought I'd grab one and then got slightly hooked. I find that they take you to some really interesting locations. Great photo opportunities. I prefer to do an earth or a virtual over a more standard cache. We travelled about 300 miles last week and I did a route plot specifically for just virtuals and earths so we could grab them along the way. We really enjoyed it! :blink:

Just for the contrarian response, I tend to avoid virts and Earthcaches.

My PQs always exclude Earthcaches and the Stealth attribute.

Ironically, considering the timing of this thread, I'm planning a trip for tomorrow that includes :blink: a couple of virts! (each the oldest cache in the county) but my priority is for the oldest physical cache in the county.

Traveling, I look for multi-caches and favorite bookmark lists.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I had one on my list last weekend but didn't get around to it. I got interested enough to go over to that other site and got as far as logging a couple of things then rather quickly got bogged down in the morrass of multiple listings for the same place etc. It's too bad virtuals are gone from here because I think this place would have kept a tighter rein on them. I'd rather not waste my time finding the most interesting sidewalk crack in the city.

yeah we try to get them before they disappear. it's not a primary goal, but we will take a detour if there's a virtual somewhere around :blink:

Same here. I am trying to cross the 300 mark (273 right now). That's a lot of virtuals. I also do like Castle Mischief and somewhat divert to them and then find traditional caches around them.

Don't think I've found one in quite a while. I don't avoid them or seek them out. If there is one on my GPS nearby I'd certainly point my GPS to it.

IIRC the last time I found one was a year and a half ago in NYC. I was at MOMA and stepped outside and switched on my GPS to see if there were any caches nearby. To my surprise there was a cache like 30 feet away form where I was standing. Turned out to be a virtual.

yeah we try to get them before they disappear. it's not a primary goal, but we will take a detour if there's a virtual somewhere around :D

Same here. I am trying to cross the 300 mark (273 right now). That's a lot of virtuals. I also do like Castle Mischief and somewhat divert to them and then find traditional caches around them.

I'd add that sometimes it's more interesting for the whole family when I stop to find a Virtual. Often, in the case of Traditional caches, we'll stop and it's usually me and maybe one kid trying to find the cache. At most Virts and Earthcaches the whole family is out and about either because:

A) we were already there (ie Disney World)

B) there was something that was way cooler to see than just another ammo can off the trail

C) there was something for the whole family to learn- we homeschool away from home (the wife calls it Roamschool) and it's great when we learn together.

Edited by Castle Mischief
yeah we try to get them before they disappear. it's not a primary goal, but we will take a detour if there's a virtual somewhere around :(

I'd add that sometimes it's more interesting for the whole family when I stop to find a Virtual. Often, in the case of Traditional caches, we'll stop and it's usually me and maybe one kid trying to find the cache. At most Virts and Earthcaches the whole family is out and about either because:

A) we were already there (ie Disney World)

:laughing: there was something that was way cooler to see than just another ammo can off the trail

C) there was something for the whole family to learn- we homeschool away from home (the wife calls it Roamschool) and it's great when we learn together.

I pretty much agree with all of this, and when traveling with the family both Virts and Earthcaches can provide some good learning experiences.

I'd add "D". In many places, Virts and Earthcaches are the only option. That often includes places where permission to hide a cache isn't as much an issue as it is a remote or sensitive location, and allows a CO to "place" a cache without the physical maintenance requirements.

I don't plan my routing around them any more than any other type of cache. But if there is one near where I plan to be it usually ends up on the to do list. I'm lukewarm about EC's; if it takes me 30 minutes to read the page and I have to write a 16 answer dissertation to log it, I'll ignore it. If it seems interesting and has reasonable logging requirements it might make the cut. I ignore webcams and only do them if my traveling companions insist.

Virtuals and earthcaches are the first things I will mark when I am planning to visit any particular area. They have taken me to some of the best locations I have been while geocaching: One Giant step, a virtual at Toroweap, 3000 feet above the Grand Canyon, 60 miles from anywhere; the Tufas of Mono Lake; into the hoodoos of the Bryce Canyon; the narrows at Zion, Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics, or granite domes looking out over Yosemite.

If not for virtuals I never would have known about where Martinis were invented or seen giant sculptures of Trolls near the Olympic Peninsula. So they go to the top of the list. In part, because the virtuals are disappearing. In part, because they have enriched my caching experience in so many possible ways.

Strangely enough, I've recently become interested in finding as many as I can. I've always done them, but now that I live in the west and enjoy long road trips, they provide a good way to plot the route. I started with my home coords, and there are 496 within a 394 mile radius. So, then I started doing PQs by state. There may be a HUGE road trip when I retire in a few years :(

ps--also add in earthcaches.

Edited by GrateBear

I'm taking a road trip today and planning on going 5-10 miles out of my way just to get a virtual. We don't have many left around here (especially that I haven't found yet) and it's the only way I can even have a change at setting a new personal record for most cache types in one day.

Depending upon what the cacher owner has requested, here are two options.

If the cache owner has requested that a picture be emailed to them, they usually will have an email address posted in the cache description. You can't send a picture through the Geocaching.com user profile.

If the cache owner has requested that you post a picture in the found it log, then submit your log without the picture and AFTER the log is submitted, go back to the log, and you will find the link up to upload a picture.

My wife Kat6 and I always look for virtuals along routes when we travel. We also try to do the virtuals in and around the city we are visiting. Next month we go to Williamsburg VA and the Newport News area. We have many to pick up. We did Cream ME Up Scotty GCA238 the other day and had a great our of a dairy and has some great ice cream.

I am lucky to own 5 virts and have a Mystery Cache GC1V5MP Georgia Virtual Cache Challenge

where you are requested to find all remaining Virtuals in Ga now at 91 then find the cache. Of course the cache is available to all with out the ALR.

GA Cacher

Virtuals are great, and I normally enjoy doing them. My vote is to bring them back, but I don't want to open that can of worms except to use it as an example of my enjoyment of them.

Virtuals got me to see the Natural Bridge near Roanoke VA, and close by was Foam Henge (an artists re-creation of stone henge). I never would have seen that without virtuals.

I am not such a big fan of earth caches, mainly because I usually don't care about the "nature" aspects of it (how many "look, its a watershed! If you use your imagination and squint just so you can imagine the water flowing downhill to that river/lake/ocean do you really need? <_<

I am not a huge fan of the "heres 12 questions to answer" aspects of them either. I would much prefer the simple "take a pic in the location and post it". Sometimes the long question ones feel like school. The only time I have enjoyed the 10 question ones were in places like the Natural Bridge where each question took you to a different section of the park, and all of them were unique and interesting.

Having said all that the positive of virtuals and ECs far outweigh the negative in my mind.

Depending upon what the cacher owner has requested, here are two options.

If the cache owner has requested that a picture be emailed to them, they usually will have an email address posted in the cache description. You can't send a picture through the Geocaching.com user profile.

If the cache owner has requested that you post a picture in the found it log, then submit your log without the picture and AFTER the log is submitted, go back to the log, and you will find the link up to upload a picture.

Thank you!!

Virtuals are great, and I normally enjoy doing them. My vote is to bring them back, but I don't want to open that can of worms except to use it as an example of my enjoyment of them.

Virtuals got me to see the Natural Bridge near Roanoke VA, and close by was Foam Henge (an artists re-creation of stone henge). I never would have seen that without virtuals.

I am not such a big fan of earth caches, mainly because I usually don't care about the "nature" aspects of it (how many "look, its a watershed! If you use your imagination and squint just so you can imagine the water flowing downhill to that river/lake/ocean do you really need? <_<

I am not a huge fan of the "heres 12 questions to answer" aspects of them either. I would much prefer the simple "take a pic in the location and post it". Sometimes the long question ones feel like school. The only time I have enjoyed the 10 question ones were in places like the Natural Bridge where each question took you to a different section of the park, and all of them were unique and interesting.

Having said all that the positive of virtuals and ECs far outweigh the negative in my mind.

We love virtuals....We saw Foam Henge also!! We NEVER would have pulled off the road to see it...except for the cache! We just got back from Washington DC....Virtual Mecca! simply start on one end of the Mall and go to the other end...we picked up about 12 virtuals. Most of these caches do offer something interesting or fun to see....What was that guy making at Foam Henge?? LOL

Like any other cache type there are good ones and others not so good. Some of my favorite EC caches:

One that involves a mile walk into a gorge with 5-6 stops to identify several geological features. At the end of the walk you're at the base of a 203 waterfall. No physical cache would be allowed there (although there are a couple along the rim trail. It's about 10 miles from me.

One where you have to take a photo of a fossil and identify the type of fossil you found. It took me about 5 minutes of searching to find one. This one is about 1/2 a mile from where I live.

There is an EC on the dunes in Nags Head, NC where you have to find the highest point in the dunes, capture a waypoint and post the coordinates and, optionally, elevation in your log. The point is to show how much and how far the dunes are moving.