GC Tidy – Greasemonkey script, Chrome extension, Safari extension

tenrapid

If you miss the good old times when Groundspeak had a rather professional approach to screen design or if you think that using geocaching.com could feel at least a tiny bit more like it's already 2010 then you should try out GC Tidy.

GC Tidy for Firefox, Chrome, Safari.

What GC Tidy will do:

- tidy up the core pages of geocaching.com

- let you post cache logs directly on the cache page

- enhance the map page including fullscreen mode, persistent filter settings, sortable cache list, resizable sidebar, name and gc-code labels

- some other things left for you to discover :blink:

Due to the nature of page-modifying Greasemonkey scripts/browser extensions it is likely that some scripts won't work together with GC Tidy. If this is the case with one of your favorite scripts please report it and I will see what I can do.

I don't mean this in any way as an attack on Groundspeak's development work and I hope it isn't taken that way, but I really like the look of this script. It's amazing how much of a difference moving a few things around can do.

One preference I have for the status quo is on the "Your Profile" page (not the public profile, but the one you reach at www.geocaching.com/my )...

In the "Your logs (Last 30 Days)" section, listing the state all by its lonesome on a second line for each cache/trackable, instead of leaving it in the same row, is creating a lot of unnecessary white space and doubling the real estate that this list takes up on my screen. I am only seeing about half as much information as I used to before having to scroll down. This might have been one area that was better left as is.

Overall, pretty neat script. Thanks for the contribution.

I wish I knew greasemonkey well enough to do this.

Any chance of getting it to add a search box to the left nav to enter in a GC code so you can always search for a GC code no matter what page you are on.

I personally created a search.xml file to add to firefox search engines so I can easily search for GC code from forum posts, select, right click and serch

Any chance of getting it to add a search box to the left nav to enter in a GC code so you can always search for a GC code no matter what page you are on.

There is a GM script that does exactly this. I forget where it is though.

I personally created a search.xml file to add to firefox search engines so I can easily search for GC code from forum posts, select, right click and serch
I created a bookmark that points to this:
http://coord.info/%s

and assigned it a keyword of "c". So in my Address bar, I just enter "c GC1234" and it takes me right there.

Wow - this is really nice. Thank you!

A bug report: on the Geocaching Maps page, when you check/uncheck the "Hide Disabled Caches" box it does not automatically update the display when auto-refresh is selected - you have to click Refresh Map. The other options above it are working as expected.

(I'm using the Chrome version.)

Edited by dstein766

As long as we're talking about GM scripts I wish something could be done to rearrange the default profile page (http://www.geocaching.com/my/). On the right side of the page there is a stack of boxes that I would like to reorder:

Starting at the top there is a "Hello, username" box which contains my avatar, some basic find count information, a link to my profile page, and a log out link. I like having it at the top.

Below that is a "Stat Bar". It's useless on this page as the box above it contains all the same information.

Below the Stat Bar is a "Your GPS" box. Since I'm the only one that can see *my* "my" page telling me what kind of GPS I have isn't all that useful. Perhaps I might want to add/change the information but that box could be moved to bottom of the page.

Below the Your GPS page is "Search Options". With my default browser font/screen size on the machine I use most often, I have to scroll the page to see all of it. It needs to be moved up on the page.

Next is "User Routes". I actually use this fairly often, but it can move down a bit on the page.

Next, "Field Notes". I never use them, but I might. Move it down the page.

Next, "Geocaching With Twitter". I've never used it. I suspect that most don't. Move it down.

Next, "Premium Features". I use links in this box a lot, especially the Pocket Queries. This box needs to be moved up below the "Search Options" box.

Next, "Account Options". I don't use the links here that often but definitely need them occasionally. It's in about the right spot.

Next, "Geocache Google Earth Viewer". I downloaded it a long time ago so never don't need to to see this again. It's in the right spot.

Finally, "Your Inventory". This doesn't change often but it's something that I imagine many want to see. It would be nice if it were integrated into the "Hello, username" and could be collapsed so that, when someone does have a lot of items in their inventory it doesn't take up a lot of room. Something like:

Your Inventory (3 items)

Click on the text and it'll expand to show all items, click again to collapse.

So, Here the order of the boxes on the right side of the page that I would like to see.

Hello, "username" (with your inventory included)

Search Options

Premium Features

User Routes

Account Options

Your GPS

Field Notes

Geocaching with Twitter (merge this with one with Field Notes into a "Logging Features" box)

Geocache Google Earth Viewer

I realize that this is only *my* preferred order, but after all it's "my" page, and could use a little personalization. Ideally, it wouldn't need a GM script to do this, but the "Account Settings" page should allow me to include/exclude specific boxes and specify the order on the page as well (i.e. like iGoogle)

I believe you are looking for "Add Waypoint Finder". More information about it can be found that the following link:

Add Waypoint Finder

Edited by mboensch

Hey this is pretty slick! I am going to give it a try for a little while. No offense to the wonderful work that the guys did putting this site together but I have always thought it could be organized a little better without all the wasted space.

One thing I think really needs added is a link to the pocket queries. It seems as though it takes an awful lot of clicks to get there. Yes I know I could just bookmark it and I did but I never remember to use bookmarks when I know how to get there.

So could you add a pocket query link under member features or someplace more accessible?

Never mind I just found out if I hover a half second instead of clicking on my name there it is wow!

Edited by jameyp

I LOVE the facility to post a log while still on the cache page.

How many times have I been typing up a log and want to see what the trackable is called that I picked up, or even remind myself what the cache is called, or refer back to a previous log, which meant opening a new window and finding the cache page again (to avoid losing my log text and having to start again).

None of this is accessible on the GS logging page. Now it is, thank you.

One question, with this script the logs are not the full width of the page anymore giving a white column down the right hand side of the page, is this correct or do I have a conflicting script running? I'm using Firefox.

One comment, on a cache with several additional waypoints, the waypoints take up a lot of space as they seem to run on to a lot more lines now.

Neither is a great problem and the benefits far outweigh these couple of niggles.

TFTS :(

Edited by Lovejoy & Tinker
In the "Your logs (Last 30 Days)" section, listing the state all by its lonesome on a second line for each cache/trackable, instead of leaving it in the same row, is creating a lot of unnecessary white space and doubling the real estate that this list takes up on my screen.
I put in on a second line because even without the script each entry in the list took two lines. Probably because my browser window is usually not wider than 1300px. But if you don't need the state info you can hide it or you can disable the processing of this page at all. Click on "GCTidy" in the grey header bar on top of the page and then check the "Hide state/country" item or uncheck "Your profile".

A bug report: on the Geocaching Maps page, when you check/uncheck the "Hide Disabled Caches" box it does not automatically update the display when auto-refresh is selected - you have to click Refresh Map.
Hmm, works for me. Are you using a dev build of Chrome?

As long as we're talking about GM scripts I wish something could be done to rearrange the default profile page (http://www.geocaching.com/my/). On the right side of the page there is a stack of boxes that I would like to reorder
Yes, that would be great. I'm using geocaching.com Your Profile cleanup which let's you at least hide some of the boxes.

This seems to be scrapping pages other than the one you're currently on, via numerous xmlHttpRequest calls. How does this meet the TOU?
There is only one xmlHttpRequest made to geocaching.com when loading all cache logs without page reload.

I tried downloading the Safari version on a MacBook, but all I get is a pale copy of the icon. Has anyone done this yet?
Ooops... The link should work now.

One question, with this script the logs are not the full width of the page anymore giving a white column down the right hand side of the page, is this correct or do I have a conflicting script running?
Yes, this is intended.

Many thanks for all the feedback :)!

I tried downloading the Safari version on a MacBook, but all I get is a pale copy of the icon. Has anyone done this yet?
Ooops... The link should work now.

I get the download, but then it won't install. Nothing happens, then when I click on it again, get an error message. I'll try on my pc and use it there. Thanks.

A bug report: on the Geocaching Maps page, when you check/uncheck the "Hide Disabled Caches" box it does not automatically update the display when auto-refresh is selected - you have to click Refresh Map.
Hmm, works for me. Are you using a dev build of Chrome?

No, I'm not. I'm on 5.0.375.126, which is the current stable build. I just tried disabling all other Extensions to see if perhaps I had an obvious client-side issue but no change. I also tried toggling various display options (such as alternate cache graphics, cache labels, etc) in hopes of finding a trigger condition, but no luck. In the grand scheme of things this is a really minor nit, and I'm content to assume the problem is on my side until there's independent confirmation that it might be happening elsewhere.

Again, many thanks for the script - I've only had it on the system for about 24 hours and I'm already hooked!

I get the download, but then it won't install. Nothing happens, then when I click on it again, get an error message.
Here is how it works for me (on a Mac and Safari 5.0.1): I click the link and the file is downloaded and ends up in the "Downloads" folder. I open it and get asked if I want to open the file and then if I want to install the extension. What does the error message say?

I'm on 5.0.375.126, which is the current stable build. I just tried disabling all other Extensions to see if perhaps I had an obvious client-side issue but no change. I also tried toggling various display options (such as alternate cache graphics, cache labels, etc) in hopes of finding a trigger condition, but no luck.
Does the "Hide unfound caches" checkbox show the same behavior as the "Hide disabled caches" checkbox. I'll look into the code and see if I can find something.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Does the "Hide unfound caches" checkbox show the same behavior as the "Hide disabled caches" checkbox. I'll look into the code and see if I can find something.
Indeed, it is showing the same behavior on my system - no autorefresh upon toggle of selection. I hadn't checked this earlier because I thought that the definition of unfound = unfound by ANYONE vs unfound by me...and given that there are few caches around here matching the former criteria I hadn't tried that option. I haven't yet hidden any caches of my own (soon, I hope :) ) so can't check that last option.
This seems to be scrapping pages other than the one you're currently on, via numerous xmlHttpRequest calls. How does this meet the TOU?
There is only one xmlHttpRequest made to geocaching.com when loading all cache logs without page reload.

So your argument is that just one TOU violation is okay?

Scripts are fine, AS LONG AS THEY DON'T INCREASE THE SERVER LOAD.

Edited by Prime Suspect
I get the download, but then it won't install. Nothing happens, then when I click on it again, get an error message.
Here is how it works for me (on a Mac and Safari 5.0.1): I click the link and the file is downloaded and ends up in the "Downloads" folder. I open it and get asked if I want to open the file and then if I want to install the extension. What does the error message say?

File downloads to the downloads folder, I click on it and am asked if I want to install. Click "install" and then it just sits there--nothing happens. If I click again, the message is "Safari can't install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension "GC Tidy".

Using the same version of Safari that you are.

Thanks.

File downloads to the downloads folder, I click on it and am asked if I want to install. Click "install" and then it just sits there--nothing happens. If I click again, the message is "Safari can't install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension "GC Tidy".

Using the same version of Safari that you are.

Thanks.

Have you installed Grease Monkey before trying to add the scripts?

Indeed, it is showing the same behavior on my system - no autorefresh upon toggle of selection.
Thanks, this is helpful information. I see what I can do.

File downloads to the downloads folder, I click on it and am asked if I want to install. Click "install" and then it just sits there--nothing happens. If I click again, the message is "Safari can't install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension "GC Tidy". Using the same version of Safari that you are.
This is strange, it works for me even on a second computer. Probably a dumb question, but can you install other extensions? Or an error on my side with the packaging of the extension. I'm on it...

I don't see any violation of the TOU. What happens if the user clicks on "View all logs" is the following: Instead of loading a complete new page with all its dependencies the script fetches only the HTML document and replaces the currently shown 5 logs with all logs. So there is even a tiny decrease in server load actually.
File downloads to the downloads folder, I click on it and am asked if I want to install. Click "install" and then it just sits there--nothing happens. If I click again, the message is "Safari can't install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension "GC Tidy". Using the same version of Safari that you are.
This is strange, it works for me even on a second computer. Probably a dumb question, but can you install other extensions? Or an error on my side with the packaging of the extension. I'm on it...

Well, perhaps I have succeeded, as the pages now have a GC Tidy link on them. I have no shame in admitting I am rather dense when it comes to computers. I do brag I can turn them on and off with little trouble :laughing:

Thanks!

I don't see any violation of the TOU. What happens if the user clicks on "View all logs" is the following: Instead of loading a complete new page with all its dependencies the script fetches only the HTML document and replaces the currently shown 5 logs with all logs. So there is even a tiny decrease in server load actually.

You're scraping a page other than the one currently loaded. That's a TOU violation. It doesn't matter what the user might or might not click on.

Well, perhaps I have succeeded, as the pages now have a GC Tidy link on them. I have no shame in admitting I am rather dense when it comes to computers. I do brag I can turn them on and off with little trouble :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Yes, if you see the link then everything is fine. Good to hear it works with Safari too.

Downloaded the Firefox version a while ago and have been using it happily. This is great - makes logging so much easier when I can do it from the cache page. I often refer to previous logs, refresh my memory on the CO, or check the name of a TB I picked up - this saves a whole lot of clicking. Thanks much!

You're scraping a page other than the one currently loaded. That's a TOU violation. It doesn't matter what the user might or might not click on.

Could we get an official Groundspeak ruling on this one? I love that feature but I won't use it if it is deemed a violation.

Have got problems using GC Tidy with my Firefox 3.6.13. The Personal Cache Note box disappears from time to time and when it does it erases anything previously put in there. A nuisance since I use the box to add mystery solutions and corrected coords. Anyone else with this problem? And yes, I'm using the latest Tidy version

I believe you are looking for "Add Waypoint Finder". More information about it can be found that the following link:

Add Waypoint Finder

I can't get Add Waypoint Finder to work on Chrome. It works on Firefox with no problems though. Has anyone else had trouble with that script on Chrome?

Add Waypoint Finder

I can't get Add Waypoint Finder to work on Chrome. It works on Firefox with no problems though. Has anyone else had trouble with that script on Chrome?

It's unlikely any of my newer scripts will work in Chrome, unless it understands how to handle Greasemonkey's @require instruction. All my newer/updated scripts use this for version checking and auto-updating.

Add Waypoint Finder

It's unlikely any of my newer scripts will work in Chrome, unless it understands how to handle Greasemonkey's @require instruction. All my newer/updated scripts use this for version checking and auto-updating.

That's too bad. It's one of my favorite scripts. However, I got tired of Firefox repeatedly consuming over 500MB of memory on my machine and making it virtually unusable. Chrome is much better on my machine.