Waypoint "001" - shows up in Basecamp, not on gps, won't stay deleted.

lalittle

Using Basecamp and a 62st, I can't seem to get rid of a waypoint labeled "001." I deleted "all" waypoints on the gps, but when I connect it to the computer, "001" still shows up in the "All Data" folder of the gps. I also tried deleting this waypoint in Basecamp, and it went away until I disconnected and reconnected the gps to the system. Again, it shows up on BC but not on the gps.

Is there some special meaning to this "001" waypoint -- i.e. is it supposed to always show up in Basecamp in the gps's "All Data" folder? I'm wondering if it represents my current position or something. It appears that this waypoint is constantly re-created by either Basecamp or the gps, but that it does not show up on the actual unit.

I just want to make sure that I don't have some sort of corrupt file on the unit.

Thanks,

Larry

no there's no special meaning. any waypoints you create will be numbered consecutively 001, 002, 003 etc, unless you rename them after you created them. 001 is just the first one of those, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to delete it.

I believe that the "001" waypoint you are seeing is simply a placeholder waypoint that gets automatically created by the GPSr (Oregon, Dakota, etc.) whenever you pan the map and the little red thumb tack/pin appears. It doesn't appear on the GPSr unit itself (because the GPSr knows that it's just a placeholder), but it does indeed appear in BaseCamp. I delete it all the time from within BaseCamp without any problems whatsoever.

Edited by TheOfficeMaven

no there's no special meaning. any waypoints you create will be numbered consecutively 001, 002, 003 etc, unless you rename them after you created them. 001 is just the first one of those, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to delete it.

I'm pretty sure that what I'm seeing is by design, and that this waypoint does indeed have a specific meaning. Did you check for it on your gps in the "All Data" folder? I realize that new waypoints are automatically named consecutively starting with 001, but the one I'm seeing is NOT a waypoint that I've created. As far as I can tell, it is an inidcator of the current position of the gps as of the moment I connect the unit to the computer.

I did an experiment and created a new waypoint named "001" on the gps. This waypoint appears as "0011" in Basecamp, and "001" is once again my approximate current position. Note that "001" changes position just a bit every time I connect the gps to the computer -- it's always in the same general area, but it's not at the exact same spot. This would seem to indicate that it is indeed being created every time I connect the gps to the computer, and not some sort of corrupt file that won't stay deleted.

Thanks for the feedback,

Larry

I believe that the "001" waypoint you are seeing is simply a placeholder waypoint that gets automatically created by the GPSr (Oregon, Dakota, etc.) whenever you pan the map and the little red thumb tack/pin appears. It doesn't appear on the GPSr unit itself (because the GPSr knows that it's just a placeholder), but it does indeed appear in BaseCamp. I delete it all the time from within BaseCamp without any problems whatsoever.

I agree that it seems like a "placeholder." As I mentioned above, it always appears at my approximate current position, so what might be happening is that when you plug the gps in, it takes the current position and creates this waypoint as if you had just scrolled a bit.

Thanks for the feedback on this,

Larry

Did you check for it on your gps in the "All Data" folder? I realize that new waypoints are automatically named consecutively starting with 001, but the one I'm seeing is NOT a waypoint that I've created. As far as I can tell, it is an inidcator of the current position of the gps as of the moment I connect the unit to the computer.

yeah i did check. it's not there. oregon 450.

Did you check for it on your gps in the "All Data" folder? I realize that new waypoints are automatically named consecutively starting with 001, but the one I'm seeing is NOT a waypoint that I've created. As far as I can tell, it is an inidcator of the current position of the gps as of the moment I connect the unit to the computer.

yeah i did check. it's not there. oregon 450.

It sounds like it may be a trait of the 62 series, or possibly the latest firmware, which may not have been applied to the Oregon yet. All I know is that a NEW "001" waypoint is created EVERY time I reconnect the gps to the system. It's always in the same general area, but it's never in the exact same spot.

TheOfficeMaven -- you said you saw this "001" waypoint. What gps do you have?

Larry