GCJ7VH - The Bloated Festering Head of My First Victim

Adam and Lisa

A friend and I are thinking of attempting this classic, and apparently, challenging cache on Sunday, Aug 22nd.

I first tried to solicit this advice on Facebook and only got one helper (THANKS Margaret) so I thought I'd head on over to where the audience is a little more focused on Geocaching :blink:

So a change of clothes looks like a good idea, towels, rubber boots (should we even bother with these or just bring throw-away shoes?), zip-lock bags for the camera and GPS. What else should we arm ourselves with?

How about tips on the right place to start out from. Anyone willing to share that or is finding that part of the fun?

Thanks in advance for any hints, advice, or words of wisdom - oh, and - we'll be camping at Mt Rainer the two days leading up to Sunday but if anyone wants to try and meet up on Sunday and make the trek to the cache with us please contact me here!

A friend and I are thinking of attempting this classic, and apparently, challenging cache on Sunday, Aug 22nd.

I first tried to solicit this advice on Facebook and only got one helper (THANKS Margaret) so I thought I'd head on over to where the audience is a little more focused on Geocaching :blink:

So a change of clothes looks like a good idea, towels, rubber boots (should we even bother with these or just bring throw-away shoes?), zip-lock bags for the camera and GPS. What else should we arm ourselves with?

How about tips on the right place to start out from. Anyone willing to share that or is finding that part of the fun?

Thanks in advance for any hints, advice, or words of wisdom - oh, and - we'll be camping at Mt Rainer the two days leading up to Sunday but if anyone wants to try and meet up on Sunday and make the trek to the cache with us please contact me here!

As the FTF geodiver and I used chestwaders ..which I threw away after the find because they were complete destroyed. Have fun

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Enjoy.

I know where the starting point is at, it's at any point that you can get into the swamp and get wet. Actually, when I found this cache it was on a whim after work and I went with a friend and zero assistance and we found the prize. I'll tell you this, your going to get wet, your going to second guess your choice on attempting this cache every ten feet of distance you make it and your going to leave that swamp and not be welcome at any public place of business.

I know now, where the best place is to start, but I didn't find it until a couple years after I went after it and I'm not going to tell you where it is either. My friend and I entered where "as the crows fly" the GPS was at it's shortest distance. A mistake that may have been, but I have memories permanently burnt into my head from that excursion that I will never forget.

I will say this though, we spent a good chunk of time in the air. We climbed "trees" or rather large pieces of vegetation to their tops and then with our weight we would bend them over to other trees and continue this as far as we could. Eventually one of the tops broke off and I ended up in the wet stuff. it was gross, it was wet and it smelled really bad.

Enjoy! Be sure to take and post pics!

Otoh, when a bunch of us did it one Halloween night, we didn't get a single toe wet. No water at all. All depends on your entry point.... But we did get lost a couple times and had trouble retracing our route back out through the shrubbery. Got some great photos of Swamp-Thing and his victims, tho!

Otoh, when a bunch of us did it one Halloween night, we didn't get a single toe wet. No water at all. All depends on your entry point.... But we did get lost a couple times and had trouble retracing our route back out through the shrubbery. Got some great photos of Swamp-Thing and his victims, tho!

I can attest to all of that. Some of us were prepared to get wet, but it never happened. Be sure to follow your track log back out. Luckily for us, several of us had that going for us.

How much would I have to sweet talk you for your entry point in to the swamp that kept even your toes dry?

Common :(

You will most likely need clean pants, socks, and shoes. When I went with a bunch of friends a couple of years ago, we too the best way in, during the dry season, and everyone came out with mud up to their knees.

You absolutely need to use your track log. My GPS crapped out as we were signing the log, but as there were 20 or so of us, I didn't need to worry.

It's worth all the effort and work, but you're gonna be really tired, and a mess

How much would I have to sweet talk you for your entry point in to the swamp that kept even your toes dry?

You miserable sacks of snot. If you want a hint, here’s a hint: go find some lame parking lot or guardrail cache and then you don’t have to worry about getting your delicate feet wet. Maybe you’d like to just wait in your car and have me bring Mr. Thomas out to you? Or would you prefer I tear your arms and legs from your gelatinous torsos? Maybe the mixing of your blood with the clay will make a sweet fragrant mud that won’t offend you? The mighty Fen Dweller had no respect for cheaters and crybabies, so what do you think Swamp Thing will opine? You better pray he doesn’t get wind of your offer of ”sweet talk” or he may just decide to see how loudly he can make you scream, you disgusting pus bags.

I’m going to have to send Swampy a memo; he’s not killing enough of you.

All my love,

E

Edited by Ellylidan

You miserable sacks of snot. If you want a hint, here’s a hint: go find some lame parking lot or guardrail cache and then you don’t have to worry about getting your delicate feet wet. Maybe you’d like to just wait in your car and have me bring Mr. Thomas out to you? Or would you prefer I tear your arms and legs from your gelatinous torsos? Maybe the mixing of your blood with the clay will make a sweet fragrant mud that won’t offend you? The mighty Fen Dweller had no respect for cheaters and crybabies, so what do you think Swamp Thing will opine? You better pray he doesn’t get wind of your offer of ”sweet talk” or he may just decide to see how loudly he can make you scream, you disgusting pus bags.

All my love,

E

Dog peed on your pants leg again, eh?

All my love,

E

Awesome reply!

Let's see - Do you have a cell phone? I can text you when we arrive and if you would indeed bring Mr Thomas out to our car I would be very grateful. Such a sweet offer from such a cute and cuddly CO.

You absolutely need to use your track log. My GPS crapped out as we were signing the log, but as there were 20 or so of us, I didn't need to worry.

Yep. I was on this trek also and right behind Shop99er' who was one of our group leaders. I had three 9-year-old girls with me who absolutely loved the bushwhacking and they had a great time and were nearly the muddiest ones at the finish. A small part of our group, 6 or so, did get lost and ended up right back at the cache again. It took them some time to find their way out.

Two of the girls and I were in the center of the full group on the way out when it broke apart and left in small groups going at least three different directions. It was very eerie that within about 25 seconds it was total silence from all directions. It would be tough to get out of there without a gps. The girls didn't know I had a track log and I let them decide what direction we should go in. They picked a direction no one else had gone and it ended up being the shortest way to reconnect with our inbound path.

Great fun!

Lets see, Its been a few years since I went after this cache with a group of people. I do recall though, wearing calf high boots that day. I came out of there with dry socks. Of course, I would have drown if we had gone in the way we first looked at it. Thanks to some help via a phone call, we quickly made our way to one of the more popular starting points, and by watching where I placed each step, I kept fairly dry.

I missed your FB question, sorry. I did this cache in September a couple of years ago. Some people had chest waders, some had galoshes, some duct taped their rubber boots to their pants; I wore shorts and Tevas and was just fine. I just brought a couple of gallon jugs of water and some old towels to clean up a bit. I can't help with the route, though.

Depends on the weather before Halloween. When I did it Halloween Night (a couple of years later) it was wet but not super deep - though we did 'throw' mud up on most of our pants. I still think this is best as a night cache...

I just did this one recently with 2kds. Our postings were pretty accurate. I think if you go in with throw-away shoes that you will end up doing most of the trek in nothing but socks or barefoot. Unless you want to feed the beast, take boots and plan on emptying them at the car. Take clean under garments. I overlooked that and just took clean pants and a shirt. Should have realized that if the shirt was wet so was everything under it.

We took two 10 year olds with us, they survived. In fact, they were begging for more when we got back to the car.

There is a "trail" once you get in there, you just gotta pick a spot and commit to it.

And lastly, cover up as much skin as possible. If the swamp monster doesn't get you then the mosquitos will.

Have fun, I know that we did.

You might want to give the nearby multi a quick look while your in there.

I just did this one recently with 2kds. Our postings were pretty accurate. I think if you go in with throw-away shoes that you will end up doing most of the trek in nothing but socks or barefoot. Unless you want to feed the beast, take boots and plan on emptying them at the car. Take clean under garments. I overlooked that and just took clean pants and a shirt. Should have realized that if the shirt was wet so was everything under it.

We took two 10 year olds with us, they survived. In fact, they were begging for more when we got back to the car.

There is a "trail" once you get in there, you just gotta pick a spot and commit to it.

And lastly, cover up as much skin as possible. If the swamp monster doesn't get you then the mosquitos will. Have fun, I know that we did.

You might want to give the nearby multi a quick look while your in there.

Another reason to do it at night - NO mosquitos! <_<