GPSMAP 62/78 software version 2.44 Beta

allory

GPSMAP 62/78 software version 2.44 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5071

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.44:

* Added multicaching support.

* Added display color to track gpx files.

* Added periodic track archiving (See http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/20...-archiving.html for more information).

* Added Automatic Shaded Relief option.

* Added import indicator for gpx files.

* Added track review page improvements.

* Improved accuracy of trip odometer.

* Fixed occasional shutdowns.

* Fixed calendar to display all geocache finds and attempts on the correct day.

* Fixed paging after logging a geocache.

* Fixed issues with inconsistent altimeter readings.

* Problems with the software may be reported to 67-78Beta@garmin.com.

Trying it now. When it rebooted, it got stuck on a garmin screen after going through the update. Nothing worked, had to pull the batteries. Re installed the batteries and started working, shut down once on me, but not sure if batteries are low. Put new batteries, one thing I've noticed is when you zoom in or out on map page, it all changes colors and then goes back. Will post more if need be.

I had a problem after the upgrade (the unit hung) but a battery pull seemed to revive it. I dont' have any problems Entering the Next Stage, etc.

Interestingly the altimeter problem appears like it might be addressed. I can squeeze and push on buttons, the case, etc and the altitude doesn't seem to move at all. Before it would jump all over the place.

back at 2.40 after Garmin support helped me. Gonna wait for the proper release. I'm leaving tomorrow and thought I was gonna have to use my old 60CSX. Had to reboot everything now I'm loading the maps right to the GPS memory, instead of my card. Hopefully no more problems. Did like some of the new features, the brief time it was working with 2.44.

I was SO relieved to see this thread. I was stuck on the Garmin screen for 20 minutes and afraid to do anything. Haven't even used the thing to find a cache yet, going to a mega event for 3 days starting tomorrow, and I'm dead in the water! OH NO! How could this happen???

Fortunately, the battery pull seems to have done the trick.

Getting too old for this drama!

Installed smoothly on a 62st. No hangs or battery pulls required, the update went flawlessly.

The new firmware seems to have significantly improved the altitude issue being discussed in the main 62 thread. More discussion there.

Took the plunge and did the install. It went flawlessly. So far, so good.

my updated went ok or at least it appears to have gone ok.

** anyone having problems uploading maps to their GPS ** mine says "unable to unlock maps" on the GPS, even though all my maps are UNLOCKED on MAPSOURCE (ibycus, topo and city navigator) seems to be the CITY NAVIGATOR it doesn't like, but i also notice my IBYCUS doesn't show up in the SETUP MAP section and the TOPO MAPS don't show all the sections i uploaded. weired.

Edited by brucered

I registered the Unit and then went to "My Dashboard" where I was told there was an Update. Click on that , the SW was downloaded and then they told my to disconnect and start up the unit which I did. Well, I got the opening Garmin screen but it faded to nothing. I remembered from a previous unit that if you press the power button and the PAGE button simultaneously to get a diagnostic screen. It indicates that I still have v2.40 which makes some sense because the LOADER program never appeared. But, then why didn't it stay with 2.40 as if the BETA SW didn't exist. I now have a $450 hand grenade.

BTW my batteries were fine plus swapping out batteries didn't help.

Edited by Kit'n'Kaboodle

Ok folks. Here's an update. If you read my previous posts you know that I was pretty unhappy with this unit and with Garmin.

I installed the Beta update and did a bit of geocaching. It seems that Garmin has FIXED the problems.

The lock up issue I had when switching from "off road" to "on road" or from "on road" to "off road" is GONE. -- This was a huge issue for me and it seems to be fixed. I tried it a LOT of times and had no problems at all.

The problem I had when I logged a cache as found and hit "done" and was sent to a page full of menu choices that didn't work is GONE. (It now returns me to the list of geocaches and the list works properly -- which is absolutely fine with me.)

I haven't found a cache in the late afternoon to verify the calendar issue but that's listed specifically as one of the items fixed and I'd bet it has been fixed.

At this point I'm a pretty happy guy. If things keep working the way they are at this time I'd have to say that I TOTALLY LOVE THIS 78s.

Many thanks to Garmin for listening to folks who complained. It's sad they didn't have this stuff working properly upon release but at least the seem to have fixed it pretty quickly.

NOTE: I did have one reboot when I went from battery power to cigarette lighter power but only one and I can't say for certain I didn't have the thing pressed against my leg so that it was pushing the button. Hopefully that was the case. Even if this problem does actually remain the improvement is huge and I'm still extremely happy with the 78s.

Well, as if by magic, I went back to My Dashboard (after I learned how to force the unit into Mass Storage mode) and updated again. IT WORKED! I cannot explain how. But Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care! :laughing:

I already had 2.40 which I had installed last week. <_<

I don't think My Dashboard will install a beta version, but it would have installed 2.40 if you didn't have it before.

So who all has this working for them. Trying to find positive feedback, but is yours still working good with new firmware..

I have it working for me. Cached with it Sunday finding about 27 with it and it seemed very solid. I found a few very minor bugs but that is to be expected with a beta.

How long does your gpsmap 62s work with only 3 bars of batterielevel? (Eneloop or any other rechargeable batterie)

My unit works a lot of hours with 4 bars - but after changing to 3 bars, it only takes about 90 minutes until the unit powers off.

(i already tried all types of batterie in the settings)

Well was hoping for a public release , but with all the caching I've been doing lately, I'm anxious to try out the new firmware. So last night i cleared all GPS info, reset all settings, pulled out the memory card with all my maps and reloaded the Beta firmware. rebooted and let it complete. Checked it out a bit to see if all was ok, then replaced my card, worked OK, and then loaded caches to it. tried playing with it a bit again and tried it again this morning. So far, so good.

I have a copy of the 2.40 just in case, but so far not needed.

here is a chart, how long the gpsmap 62s works with 3 bars :)

1. line: time of operation in minutes with 4 bars of batteryindicator (15 h = 900 min)

2. line: time of operation in minutes with 3 bars of batteryindicator (45 min)

3. line: time of operation in minutes with 2 bars of batteryindicator (30 min)

4. line: time of operation in minutes with 1 bars of batteryindicator (10 min)

5. line: time of operation in minutes with 1 bars of batteryindicator ("low batt message" 10 minutes before shutdown of gpsmap62s)

So the 1 bar batteryindicator is shown for 20 minutes.

8274e9e852.jpg

Edited by freeday
here is a chart, how long the gpsmap 62s works with 3 bars :)

8274e9e852.jpg

My question here is whether the unit has a problem with poor battery performance or if it shows 4 bars far too long before dropping to 3 bars. Granted, that would still be a problem but only in how it displays the remaining power bars. If it lasts a long time at 4 bars and then drops to 3 bars with very little power actually remaining that's a problem with the way the power bars are displayed. If it lasts a "suitably normal" (whatever that may mean) time on 4 bars and then rapidly dies that's a different problem.

I haven't used my 78s in the field enough yet to weigh in on this issue. EITHER way it seems that it's an issue that needs to be addressed but I'd be very interested to know which issue it is.

in other words:

15 hours with 4 bars

and if it changes from 4 bars to 3 bars the unit has only 95 minutes until power down.

so if you see 3 bars it works maximal 95 minutes.

the battery indicator of the gpsmap 62s has a big bug

this behaviour was tested on several gpsmap62s with different eneloop-batteries

Edited by freeday

in other words:

15 hours with 4 bars

and if it changes from 4 bars to 3 bars the unit has only 95 minutes until power down.

so if you see 3 bars it works maximal 95 minutes.

the battery indicator of the gpsmap 62s has a big bug

this behaviour was tested on several gpsmap62s with different eneloop-batteries

I experience the same behavior, if your battery indicator isn't on full its about time to change the batteries.

The curious thing on using ENELOOP is:

ENELOOP (after used for some hours) in GARMIN VISTA HCX:

Setup Alkaline: 2 bars XX

Setp Nimh: 1 bars X

The same ENELOOP in GARMIN GPSMAP 62s:

Setup Alkaline: 4 bars XXXX

Setup Nimh: 4 bars XXXX

Garmin changed the batteryindicator levels compared to the vista hcx.

Edited by freeday

I updated from 2.40 to 2.40 via the MyGarmin Dashboard. It said I needed and update, which it performed, but the version didn't change. The Garmin Updater Utility program said last night I was up-to-date. So I am not sure what is going on with the update via dashboard.

It did work fine after that "update".

Then, I installed 2.44 beta, which froze on reboot at the "Garmin" screen, apparently just like others on this forum. I pulled the battery and powered up again. It booted normally, and I have the new firmware. Took it out for a quick lunchtime find, and it froze up while entering a note on a cache. I had to pull the batteries again, then it rebooted fine. But I did notice that in bright sun, the map screen flickers quite noticeably now, especially the boundaries around the text boxes of the dashboard.

Love the improvements, but possibly not quite ready for primetime. Anybody know how to roll back to 2.40?

I applied the beta to my 62ST and it worked without a hitch. The only thing, as was mentioned before, you have to be patient when the unit re-initializes on re-boot as it can take a while - it's not hung!!

If you pull the batteries while it's doing this, there is a strong chance you could corrupt some files.

Not really sure if this is related to the beta, or I have a bad unit:

- accuracy problems under trees, inside car, or nearby buildings (2-4 stories are enough!). Drops from 3m to 20m once I enter the car. Drops from 3m to 23m when going onto a street with houses. WAAS/EGNOS is on

- crashes at different times. simply freezes when I am opening a cache description (not always, like once per 20 caches) or when simply scrolling through logs