Oregon software version 3.85 Beta

allory

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4741

Changes made from version 3.81 to 3.85:

* Added multicaching support.

* Added Automatic Shaded Relief option.

* Added ability to set user declination direction.

* Improved accuracy of trip odometer.

* Fixed occasional shutdowns.

* Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User grid.

* Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

Yay! We can do multi's without having to make a new Waypoint now! :unsure:

Hmmm,.....

I downloaded it, connected my 550t, run the update, it installed.

So after disconnecting the unit from the PC and turning on the unit it loaded up quickly without installing anything. Even the units software number still says BEAT 3.71.

Well, that is very stange!

Hmmm,.....

I downloaded it, connected my 550t, run the update, it installed.

So after disconnecting the unit from the PC and turning on the unit it loaded up quickly without installing anything. Even the units software number still says BEAT 3.71.

Well, that is very stange!

Did you try this update? This one is for the X00 series, not the X50 series GPS. You need to do the 3.74 update for the X50's.

Took the plunge to 3.85 beta this morning on my Oregon 300. This is the first upgrade that I pulled the sd card. Performed the usual update and everything went well until the validating and loading process was done. Hung up on the Garmin screen start screen and did not load the gpx files etc. I gave it about 5 minutes to see what was going to happen. Nothing. Pulled the batteries replaced them tried it again, bingo. Loaded right up as usual. Decided to delete my queries then ran fresh ones this morning. Everything went well there too.. Everything seems to work fine. Went out on a cache a little while ago, maps, compass and road navigation all worked great. Maybe tonight I'll head out and do a multi or two and check out that new feature. I'll post how all went with that endeavor.

Edited by mty55

Took the plunge to 3.85 beta this morning on my Oregon 300. This is the first upgrade that I pulled the sd card. Performed the usual update and everything went well until the validating and loading process was done. Hung up on the Garmin screen start screen and did not load the gpx files etc. I gave it about 5 minutes to see what was going to happen. Nothing. Pulled the batteries replaced them tried it again, bingo. Loaded right up as usual. Decided to delete my queries then ran fresh ones this morning. Everything went well there too.. Everything seems to work fine. Went out on a cache a little while ago, maps, compass and road navigation all worked great. Maybe tonight I'll head out and do a multi or two and check out that new feature. I'll post how all went with that endeavor.

I see how you are.. you're going to make me take the plunge too, huh? Can't have you be able to do multi's and not me on our next trip. :laughing:

Well I went out and did a three part multi tonight. The new multi next stage feature worked great. Its nice to change the coords on the fly without exiting the cache page and all its info. So far I haven't found any problems at all with 3.85 beta. All seems good right now. :laughing:

Yes Laxref93 give it a go buddy and we'll get out sometime this week and test it out.

Well I went out and did a three part multi tonight. The new multi next stage feature worked great. Its nice to change the coords on the fly without exiting the cache page and all its info. So far I haven't found any problems at all with 3.85 beta. All seems good right now. :D

Yes Laxref93 give it a go buddy and we'll get out sometime this week and test it out.

3.74 (i'm on an oregon 450) with multicache ability downloaded, installed, and ready to go!!!

Went out last night and did a three part puzzle cache. Worked great. Although I had a print out of the questions this new feature is great. Got to leg#1 did the required reading, figured out the new coords, then went to the Oregon tapped the "geocaching icon" scrolled down to "next stage" option, tapped it then entered the new coords. Got to leg #2 back to the "geocaching icon' then to "show description"read necesssary info to figure out the next set of coords. Back to "geocaching icon" scrolled to "next stage" put in the coords then finished off the cache.

Still sounds like a lot of button pushing but it sure beats, navigating in and out of the cache page to waypoints and back to the cache page. Nice to be able to navigate , read descriptions and change waypoints all within the original cache page

Another plus for this update. USB connection time. As of the last upgrade 3.82beta it seems the Oregon to the computer connection would take almost a minute to communicate. Since updating to 3.85beta. the connection time is down to around 10 seconds on both a Vista 32bit computer and a Windows 7 64bit computer.

Edited by mty55

Well I went out and did a three part multi tonight. The new multi next stage feature worked great. Its nice to change the coords on the fly without exiting the cache page and all its info. So far I haven't found any problems at all with 3.85 beta. All seems good right now. :D

Does the unit save the co-ords for each step?

Handy to mark/save the co-ords for knowing where stages are, when setting a cache of your own.

(Proximity issues and all that! :D )

Handy to mark/save the co-ords for knowing where stages are, when setting a cache of your own.

Unfortunately no or at least I haven't been able to locate them. I figured they would be in recent finds but nope

Well I went out and did a three part multi tonight. The new multi next stage feature worked great. Its nice to change the coords on the fly without exiting the cache page and all its info. So far I haven't found any problems at all with 3.85 beta. All seems good right now. :)

Unfortunately no or at least I haven't been able to locate them. I figured they would be in recent finds but nope

Still with paper and pen, to write them down then! :D

Who said 'paperless caching'?

Well I went out and did a three part multi tonight. The new multi next stage feature worked great. Its nice to change the coords on the fly without exiting the cache page and all its info. So far I haven't found any problems at all with 3.85 beta. All seems good right now. :)

Still with paper and pen, to write them down then! :D

Who said 'paperless caching'?

Totally paperless if you don't need to save the waypoints. Once I finish a stage or finish a cache don't need then anymore

(Proximity issues and all that! :( )

My 550t doesn't automatically save each stage as a waypoint, but I found a workaround the other day.

After selecting "Enter Next Stage" and entering the new coordinates, if you then go to the cache description, you'll see the little "create waypoint" flag-with-an-x button at the bottom of the screen. If you press that button now, a new waypoint named "Next Stage" is created. If you want to save each successive stage of the multi with a separate waypoint name, you'll need to change the name using the usual method.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

(Proximity issues and all that! :( )

My 550t doesn't automatically save each stage as a waypoint, but I found a workaround the other day.

After selecting "Enter Next Stage" and entering the new coordinates, if you then go to the cache description, you'll see the little "create waypoint" flag-with-an-x button at the bottom of the screen. If you press that button now, a new waypoint named "Next Stage" is created. If you want to save each successive stage of the multi with a separate waypoint name, you'll need to change the name using the usual method.

--Larry

Sems to work lke a charm Thanks Larry

On some profiles the 'go back to normal map' button now exits back to the menu :unsure:

I.e. if you've selected a new place on the map view that isn't your current position the bottom left button now takes you out to the menu.

Luckily for my sanity the bug doesn't effect my main profile :unsure:

Any one else had this?

The bug appeared in this beta release.

On some profiles the 'go back to normal map' button now exits back to the menu :unsure:

I.e. if you've selected a new place on the map view that isn't your current position the bottom left button now takes you out to the menu.

Any one else had this?

I'm not quite sure we are talking about the same thing here. After reading your post I marked a new waypoint by tapping a spot on the map screen. Then opted to navigate to it. Hit the X on the lower left of the map screen it did take me back to the main menu, then I tapped the map icon again and my home location and the new waypoint were still there. Seemed to work the same in all profiles on my Oregon 300. I believe thats it always exited to the menu.

I have had the same issue on my 400. It happens when the map goes to full screen and then comes back.

Any one else had this?

Having issues going from 3.74 to 3.85. It will not run the update on gps. On pc it says that it installed the software. Not sure if I am doing something incorrect.

Oregon 400T

I do not know if it is associated with this one or the last beta but I now have an accuracy issue. I will be close to the cache and walking towards it.. I can stop then move 15-20 feet and the GPS does not show that I moved at all. It also has not been as accurate as it once was. It used to point me directly at the cache (within reason) now it does not. I thought it was a fluke at first but it has now done this on numerous caches. It is not the fact that I am staying the same distance from the cache site in a circle either. I have eliminated that variable. Anyone else see this?

tarbaL

I have been running my 400t just as it came out of the box. I want to do the update, but can't figure it out. Any Help???

Try:

open the downloaded folder and double click the "copy to card" application file and away you go. restart the gps after it's complete.

i think that's right.