Oregon x50 software version 3.74 Beta

allory

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743

Changes made from version 3.71 to 3.74:

* Added multicaching support.

* Added display color to track gpx files.

* Added ability to set user declination direction.

* Improved accuracy of trip odometer.

* Fixed occasional shutdowns.

* Fixed issue with stuck route button.

* Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User grid.

* Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

* Further Instructions for units with 3.71:

The unit must be held in boot block to apply the update.

1. Unplug all Garmin devices from the computer at this time.

2. Run Oregonx50_371_to_374.exe.

3. Select 'USB Device' from the following menu.

4. Shut down the Oregon if it is running.

5. Press and hold the power button.

6. Attach the USB Cable.

7. When the text box next to 'USB Device' shows your unit information, press OK.

8. Once the device screen flashes, release the power button, but do not unplug unit.

9. Wait for the update to complete.

Given the fact that even for Windows users a special upgrade, which includes another Windows tool, from 3.71 to 3.74 is needed, how can I upgrade my Oregon 550 from 3.71 to 3.74 with a Mac? The gupdate.gcd trick will probably not do here...

Try downgrading to something lower like 3.51 Beta then upgrading to the new one.

If it helps any, I just did the upgrade from 3.71 to 3.74, and everything went fine. Can't wait to try the new multi-cache feature!

worked for me on the second try. at first i didn't interpret the "when the screen flashes" correctly and was holding the power button for too long, which turned off the unit during the upgrade. the installer was spitting a nice error message and when booting the oregon it told me "system software missing". argh!

second try using the same method worked fine though. it ate most of my waypoints, more precisely the PQ GPX files (they went to size zero), so i had to delete them and put a fresh set. the filesystem check also reported lost clusters, probably from the corrupted GPX files.

other than that [sic] it works fine.

I installed the new version and it seems to boot fine.

I found a bug.

Can someone check their unit to verify if it works?

Go to Setup, about.

On mine I the space where it is supposed to show text with the version numbers and stuff is blank and the unit ends up shutting off.

Anyone else with this problem?

the map display seems to be different now. my maps don't support shaded relief, i still had it set to "show if available" though, and the map background was beige. now the map background is white, as if i had disabled shaded relief. it helps readability and contrast, but makes some topo features invisible (power lines) as they're the same color, which is why i had kept shaded relief enabled. not complaining, just wondering.

6. Attach the USB Cable.

7. When the text box next to 'USB Device' shows your unit information, press OK.

8. Once the device screen flashes, release the power button, but do not unplug unit.

I have an Oregon 450 which has Beta software 3.52 and Software version 4.46. Can I upgrade directly to 3.74 or do I have to update the individual Beta releases.

Thanks for the help.

OldA's Fan

Go to Setup, about.

On mine I the space where it is supposed to show text with the version numbers and stuff is blank and the unit ends up shutting off.

nope, works fine for me.

Edited by dfx
I have an Oregon 450 which has Beta software 3.52 and Software version 4.46. Can I upgrade directly to 3.74 or do I have to update the individual Beta releases.

you can directly upgrade to the newest one using the regular upgrade method.

Go to Setup, about.

nope, works fine for me.

+1

No problems found here. No "field testing" so far, but the unit isn't exhibiting any weirdness here at home so far. I've downloaded and transferred about 1,250 geocaches (from two pocket queries) via GSAK since doing the update, and everything seems normal. So far...

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230
the map display seems to be different now. my maps don't support shaded relief, i still had it set to "show if available" though, and the map background was beige. now the map background is white, as if i had disabled shaded relief. it helps readability and contrast, but makes some topo features invisible (power lines) as they're the same color, which is why i had kept shaded relief enabled. not complaining, just wondering.

I just checked this out on my unit. I have TOPO 24K maps on the unit, and have shaded relief as "show if available." It looks the same as before the update, with the shaded background and shaded relief as expected.

--Larry

There is shaded relief on the basemap.

6. Attach the USB Cable.

I just upgraded my Oregon 450 from 3.52 to 3.74 with no problems. Everything seems to be working ok. Now I just need to get out and do some caching and try some of these new features out.

Old A'sFan

Bricked mine.

Followed directions exactly, received the “Update Successful” then got the Garmin triangle screen. Try to restart and only get the Garmin screen.

Tried:

1) Redoing update and get Successful message then only Garmin screen

2) Hard reset – get Garmin screen

3) Tried the Wiki 2.50 ver. Recovery #2 and get error message.

4) Remove batteries, hold power button and plug in USB. After 30 seconds the GPS connects in mass storage mode. Release power button and GPS stays in mass storage mode. Tried a couple different GCD based upgrades at this point but still only get Garmin screen.

Any ideas before I call Garmin tomorrow?

if you have an older software version (GCD file), place it in the Garmin Directory. Then do a hard reset. On my 62s, it was hold page,enter and power button. When the Garmin screen appears, release just the power button. When it asks to delete user data, click yes. Mine worked after, but all my settings were gone. Hope it helps.

Nope. No hard reset, only get the Garmin screen.

Yep - same here.

Mine's back with Garmin at the moment. It worked fine for a week, then crashed. When I turn on now I get Garmin screen, then blank, then back to Garmin screen over and over.

Hard reset doesn't work, and holding on the power button just gives me the above....but with a longer period between screens :blink:

the text entry dialogs are broken, for example when changing the name of a waypoint of a geocache filter. the left/right buttons will suddenly make the map appear in the background, and the text entry cursor jumps all the way to the right (?). this makes it impossible enter numbers, and after cancelling you're in the map screen for some reason.

Garmin posted 3.15 for the Dakota later last night. It fixes the BirdsEye issue.

Strange, because I just downloaded it a couple minutes before my post, from official Garmin website.

P.S. - You are right, I followed a link to the 3.14, tks.

Edited by Torgut

Ok, I'm a brand new Oregon owner and would love to upgrade to this version to get the multicache support, but the problems people are having are freaking me out a bit. I've had this thing for about 3 days now and would hate to brick it before I even get a chance to use it. I'm on version 3.70 (from the factory) right now, should I wait until this becomes an official update?

This is a beta version. One uses it at their own risk. Be aware that many people are having problems. Don't do the upgrade if you plan on using your oregon soon, and don't have a backup gps. But also be aware that on forums like these one is much more likely to hear the horror stories than the successful stories, and that there are probably a lot more successful upgraders than not. I have a backup gps, and am an intrepid beta testing sort of guy, so I went ahead and did it, despite some initial trepidation-

I was able to upgrade mine from 3.71 to 3.74 without problems. My method -

1. First, I removed my sd card. (contains City Navigator and Birdseye maps)

2. Deleted all the extraneous gpx files - geocaches, etc.

3. Reset tracks (probably not important, but what the heck)

4. Booted into windows 7 on the boot camp partition on my macbook. Yes, I did this on a mac.

5. Downloaded the updater, and followed the instructions to the letter. The first time i did it, it never recognized my gps, so I clicked cancel, but the second time it did almost immediately, the screen flashed very soon after pressing OK, and the update happened. No problems.

After the update, before reinserting the sd card, started up the gps, which started normally; checked the about box - it reported the new version, and the copyright info for the topo basemap (this is a 550t). After reinstalling the sd card, which has a ton of birdseye maps and City Navigator North America 2011.20, ran the about box again, and it still worked, displaying all the copyright info like it should.

So from my experience, it seems like it's probably a good idea to remove the sd card before doing this upgrade.

Ok, I took the plunge, and it worked fine for me, I too had some hangups on step 7. I didn't have updater on the computer I was using, so I d/l it, and then tried again. It worked flawlessly, and my 550t seems to be working fine. In fact, none of the small issues I have had in the past. I can't wait to try out the multi caching feature!

Thanks for the response everyone. While I wouldn't call myself a computer engineer, I usually have to problem getting things done such as these. But that being said I think I'm going to hold off until at least there seems to be a more stable beta. I have a rally coming up this weekend, and my only backup is my iphone. I'll keep an eye on this thread though, or others discussing the beta versions, and see how it goes.

@rsaxvc we know the betahelp :):P;)

The LAST who is going to help you will be the Garmin helpdesk, your real only help are sites like this and the wiki

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/message/list/home

Garmin does not communicate, they launch a new update fast when real problems occur.

My 550 update works, only the about screen crashes, remains one question.

Is this 3.74 really bad, or is it some users making errors?

Just bit the bullet and updated my 550. I followed the instruction VERY carefully and had no issues. The waypoint name edit dialogue boxes work and so far I've not had any problems.

thanks, this post prompted me to try something: run the regular upgrade routine, even though i already upgraded my 450 to 3.74 using the special installer they provide (it had 3.71 before). it copied the GCD file, but the oregon didn't do anything special on next boot. however, now the name edit dialogs work!

To all that have bricked their 550. Mine is recovered. I tried to recover mine using Method #2 in the Oregon Wiki and it didn’t work because I tried the 2.50_Updater.zip which is for the x00 models. Use the rgn firmware for x50 in the next paragraph down and it should work.

Here's the link to the recovery.

Here's the x50 recovery software.

Not sure that would've worked with mine - my 550 just cycled between Garmin splash screen and blank, continuously, without ever going to mass storage mode.

Brand new 550 arrived on friday though - thank you Garmin Europe <_<:laughing::laughing:

With all the people posting problems, I will say I upgraded my 550T and it worked great.

+1

I upgraded my 550T as soon as it came out. I've been out caching with it twice so far and haven't noticed any glitches at all. I've also found two caches using the new multi feature. Very nice!

In case it makes any difference, I have just the TOPO map that came with the unit in internal memory, plus City Navigator NT 2011.2 and TOPO U.S. 24K maps (about 2.7GB worth) on the SD card. I don't have any third-party maps or BirdsEye images on the unit.

--Larry

mines going back to R.E.I same problem <_<

Well I'm glad I took mine back to R.E.I, they ran my sales slip then scanned the new 450 and surprise it was listed at $349.99, $50.00 less then it was back in May :wacko::wacko:

If you go back to REI this Friday you may be able to save another $100 - the 450 will be on sale for $250 over Labor Day.

Edited by Elk Grove Treasure Hunters