New GC'er with Lowrance GM100..

FickFam

Greetings forum posters! First time poster here. Me and my kiddos have very recently became interested in GC. We are inheriting a used Lowrance Globalmap 100. We would like to use it immediately! Can any of you wonderful forum members recommend a workflow to get the cache waypoints from www.geocaching.com website onto the Globalmap 100? I realize we can manually input them with the UI on the unit but, is there any free software that can setup and transfer routes or waypoints onto it?

Thanks in advance,

-Fickfamily

Being an older Lowrance I assume it only accepts waypoints in the Lowrance USR format. I had an iFinder some time ago. It's been a while, so my recollection might be faulty, but I think I used GSAK or GPS Babel to convert the GPX files to USR files, then uploaded them to the unit using a card reader.

Being an older Lowrance I assume it only accepts waypoints in the Lowrance USR format. I had an iFinder some time ago. It's been a while, so my recollection might be faulty, but I think I used GSAK or GPS Babel to convert the GPX files to USR files, then uploaded them to the unit using a card reader.

I think his unit dates back farther then USR files. I had an Eagle MapGuide Pro which was made by Lowrance and was very similar to the unit he has. Mine had internal memory and came with, I think was MapCreate 4 and also had a serial port. It's been so long ago I can't remember if I could use the MapCreate software to load caches or if I was doing it by hand. If I was the OP I would try doing an internet search for the GPS and see if maybe I'd get lucky and find a manual or some software for it.

I have a GM100. Bought it in '98, I think. Forget about geocaching with that brick of a dinosaur. It is not accurate enough. Those came out before selective availability was turned off and, therefore, not designed to take advantage of the increased accuracy that was available beginning in 2000. Also, the antenna is NOT a high sensitivity one by any means. You WILL lose satellite signal in the thinnest of tree cover. It's a tired, old unit. Ditch it and get something better.

I have a GM100. Bought it in '98, I think. Forget about geocaching with that brick of a dinosaur. It is not accurate enough. Those came out before selective availability was turned off and, therefore, not designed to take advantage of the increased accuracy that was available beginning in 2000. Also, the antenna is NOT a high sensitivity one by any means. You WILL lose satellite signal in the thinnest of tree cover. It's a tired, old unit. Ditch it and get something better.

My research hinted that they might have manufactured them into 2003 or so. I was not aware that SA was 'turned off' by the Gov't or somebody! The manual I downloaded vaguely states accuracy to within 15 meters. That's not as close to GZ as I was hoping for.

Most reviews are in favor of the GM100 as a good starting unit. I am being given this unit so I have to try it at least with my kids first. Then, dependent on how fun it is or interesting for my kids and family, I will look into buying something new.