Charter Membership

I realize that is a distinction reserved for people who have been caching since the early days, but I'm curious if there is anything more to it. Does a charter member have premium member privileges, for instance?

Charter & Platinum membership is by invitation only and is reserved for the uber-stratum geocacher.

A charter member is a PM that has been paying every year, without lapse, since PM was available.

They were first available in 2002. Maybe sometime in 2001 until sometime in 2002. This is the last serious response. All other responses will be jokes about the non-existant platinum membership. Unless of course I just ruined it, and kill the thread with this post. :unsure:

A charter member is a PM that has been paying every year, without lapse, since PM was available.

They were first available in 2002. Maybe sometime in 2001 until sometime in 2002. This is the last serious response. All other responses will be jokes about the non-existant platinum membership. Unless of course I just ruined it, and kill the thread with this post. :unsure:

Started in the beginning of March 2002 for those that signed up as PM thru Feb of 2003 and have paid it continously since.

There is some oddness to the whole thing. I was a Charter Member, starting in September of 2002. After a couple years, I let my membership lapse. However, I still had Charter Member status in the forums and was still able to read Off Topic. A few years ago, I renewed my membership again, and I lost my Charter Member status.

However, I still had Charter Member status in the forums and was still able to read Off Topic.

maybe because most aspects of the forum account are updated only when you follow the "forums" link from gc.com, and not when you enter the forums directly?

However, I still had Charter Member status in the forums and was still able to read Off Topic.

maybe because most aspects of the forum account are updated only when you follow the "forums" link from gc.com, and not when you enter the forums directly?

Possibly. I was a non-PM for several years, though. I don't know, but I imagine I logged out and entered from the main site at least once during that time.

I came to rely on the yearly e-mail reminding me that my membership is about to expire. That notice is no longer offered. I've lost my Charter membership status. Sad; but guess I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I got an email 2 weeks ago as a reminder to pay - just did.

Sorry you missed your email....

I came to rely on the yearly e-mail reminding me that my membership is about to expire. That notice is no longer offered. I've lost my Charter membership status. Sad; but guess I'll spend my money elsewhere.

It says differently under your forum avatar...

I've lost my Charter membership status. Sad; but guess I'll spend my money elsewhere.

So the only reason you were continuing your membership was because of that "charter" moniker? None of the other benefits mattered to you?

Perhaps the email got filtered by your mail program as spam?

I've heard in the past that Groundspeak has reinstated the Charter Membership if the lapse was a short time. Go ahead and renew, then email Groundspeak, explain the problem, and ask them to reinstate your Charter status.

Well aside from all the "Perks" (Flavor of the Month, Picking members for the Platium Group, Inside trader info, etc.etc.) Just watching / experiencing the evolution of the sport / game, over the years......has been well worth the price! .....And In The Day it was this way..

Stay Well, Enjoy, "GIDEON-X" (Yuma, AZ)

Started in the beginning of March 2002 for those that signed up as PM thru Feb of 2003 and have paid it continously since.

I was about a year late so I have been a happily paying premium member since early 2004. I joined at the end of 2003 and became a PM in March 2004. My auto renewal has recently been set up under the new system. Still enjoying the game and happily paying my $12.95 per year! B)

And free coffee!

Yes, I'm a charter member, and still as active as I ever was. And I get my moneys worth of pocket queries, I can assure you. And being a charter member, I can also assure that I'm as old and wise as they come. Or something. What was the question?

Edited by sduck
It would be interesting to see how many people who did geocache in 2000/2001 are still in the game.

Anyone know of a way to chart these people or know where the list is?

Well, I tried clicking on Members in the forums :

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?app=members

And it tells me I don't have permission to view the list. Maybe I need to be Charter, Platinum, Carbonite, or something before I can see it :ph34r:

Alternatively you can check the profile of all 34,379 users who registered before Jan 1 2002.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=XXXX

where XXXX = 1 to 34379 and see their last visit date.

Edit to add : yes I know it is easy to write a script to do this, but doing so will very likely get you on Groundspeak's doo doo list, so I highly recommend not doing so.

Edited by Chrysalides

Does anybody know if there are any Unobtanium Members still caching? I have heard rumors of a few Eludium Memberships, but the person that told me that has since dropped out of sight.

They didnt drop out, they just got promoted to Cloakabullisium Membership level. We are only seen if we want to be and as Charter members.

The newest membership level, the Livermorium level, is the most valuable and exclusive yet. Only as many members as atoms of the element that have been observed.

Naturally, I am the charter Livermorium member, as (AFAIK) I am the oldest surviving Livermoron cacher.

WTH! I was sold a Flerovium level membership for $100,000 and now I find out it's the penultimate membership level! :o I'll be sending some guys with bats to get my money back. <_<

The newest membership level, the Livermorium level, is the most valuable and exclusive yet. Only as many members as atoms of the element that have been observed.

Naturally, I am the charter Livermorium member, as (AFAIK) I am the oldest surviving Livermoron cacher.

WTH! I was sold a Flerovium level membership for $100,000 and now I find out it's the penultimate membership level! :o I'll be sending some guys with bats to get my money back. <_<

Dont get caught like OJ. :ph34r: