Am I crazy?

johnnyiroc

I started this 2 months or so ago, Found 90 caches. During that time I decided I was going to hide

one cache for every one I find up to the first 100. I have hid about 60 so far. I do know where not to hide, how far apart, and all that stuff. They are scattered at about a 30 mile radius of my home, at places I routinely go.

I just feel the area was stagnant and needed some fresh finds. I have gone ball out with this...

Micro aluminum pill bottle caches, small caches, caches inside magnetic bolts, caches inside bolts mounted to sign posts, small tiny vials in holes, hidden tobacco cans with magnets, waterproof match containers, the blank outlet box cover trick, Im getting just downright evil with some of my placements.

Am I nuts?

I just feel like giving back to the sport in appreciation for my new obsession.

Edited by johnnyiroc

I don't recommend setting some arbitrary goal on hiding caches. I have seen folks try to keep hiding one for every ten they find. In the long run they usually end up hiding a bunch of crappy caches trying to keep up with their goal. I'm not saying that you are doing this, just that it often turns out baldy. Rather I usually recommend hiding when the muse strikes. In the end only those who find your caches can say if you are giving back or just giving headaches. Have the finders been enjoying your hides?

I don't recommend setting some arbitrary goal on hiding caches. I have seen folks try to keep hiding one for every ten they find. In the long run they usually end up hiding a bunch of crappy caches trying to keep up with their goal. I'm not saying that you are doing this, just that it often turns out baldy. Rather I usually recommend hiding when the muse strikes. In the end only those who find your caches can say if you are giving back or just giving headaches. Have the finders been enjoying your hides?

And are you still having fun with the goal?

edited to make clear that I was asking the OP and not the puppet.

Edited by Printess Caroline

I understood. And I didn't mean to suggest that the OP wasn't enjoying the goal. I only wanted to point out that it can get out of control real easy. If someone chooses to go this rout they need to be careful that they don't let it become an onerous task. Concentrate on having fun and don't worry about any silly numbers.

I understood. And I didn't mean to suggest that the OP wasn't enjoying the goal. I only wanted to point out that it can get out of control real easy. If someone chooses to go this rout they need to be careful that they don't let it become an onerous task. Concentrate on having fun and don't worry about any silly numbers.

I agreed with everything you said and just wanted to add that such a goal could get tiresome for the one trying to accomplish it. I know that it wouldn't be fun for me!

I started this 2 months or so ago, Found 90 caches. During that time I decided I was going to hide

one cache for every one I find up to the first 100. I have hid about 60 so far. I do know where not to hide, how far apart, and all that stuff. They are scattered at about a 30 mile radius of my home, at places I routinely go.

I just feel the area was stagnant and needed some fresh finds. I have gone ball out with this...

Micro aluminum pill bottle caches, small caches, caches inside magnetic bolts, caches inside bolts mounted to sign posts, small tiny vials in holes, hidden tobacco cans with magnets, waterproof match containers, the blank outlet box cover trick, Im getting just downright evil with some of my placements.

Am I nuts?

You are completely nuts.

Keep it up!!! :)

Am I nuts?

Just clean after yourself if you ever stop caching. :unsure:

Am I nuts?

Yes. Stark raving bonkers. Sorry. There is no cure. But at least you'll have company! :unsure:

Yes people enjoy them as I have a knack for this and what to call them. I bring people to places they didnt know was there. No complaints yet. I am enjoying this but once I reach 100 caches hid, im stopping the hiding!

maintaining 100 is plenty of work.

here is one of my funniest hides.. Elk Crossing

Its a bolt cache on a sign at an Elk's lodge. Their sign was about to fall off, so I fixed it with one of my sneaky bolt caches.

Tobacco cans? Ew, can you change those for something that isn't disgusting and won't get all nasty in the rain?

They are plastic, I wash them out, paint them, and the log is in a zip loc bag inside. They seem to be water resistant, and the magnets will work thru the lids. Stick great.

I prefer the plastic lids...but

lcwg.jpg

...and the log is in a zip loc bag inside...

One of my favorite rants:

"If you must use a ziplock to keep your log dry, your container has already failed at a very basic level" :D

ive seen ammo cans where the logbook is in a ziplock baggie :blink:

Most of my hides are ammo cans. All use ziplocks as a secondary layer of protection.

The key word to my earlier rant is "must". :D:P

"If you must use a ziplock to keep your log dry, your container has already failed at a very basic level" :laughing:

ive seen ammo cans where the logbook is in a ziplock baggie :(

Most of my hides are ammo cans. All use ziplocks as a secondary layer of protection.

The key word to my earlier rant is "must". :laughing::laughing:

Yes its a secondard protection method. I wouldnt put one where it would be under water or something nuts like that. Yes I have 2 ammo cans, havent used them yet..I am more of the urban cacher than the woods guy. I do not like poison ivy. But I brave it, and try o stay out of it.

About the zip loc bags...hasn't anyone heard of condensation? it happens to waterproof cans too!

Nothing wrong with keeping a log as dry as possible.

"If you must use a ziplock to keep your log dry, your container has already failed at a very basic level" :laughing:

I see it worse, I once saw a brand name Lock N Lock inside a ziplock baggie!! I never laugh so hard in my life!

I have been geocacheing for about 2 years and I have found about 115 caches and hide only 2 due to not having the right kind of GPS. Now that I got a new GPS I am on the road to making a few good hidden cache for other fellow geocachers to find. I don't agree to making "x" amount hides for the amount of caches you find. As long as you make quality hidden caches you are doing a great job it not the number of hides it the quality of the hide that the way I think it should be....

I have been geocacheing for about 2 years and I have found about 115 caches and hide only 2 due to not having the right kind of GPS. Now that I got a new GPS I am on the road to making a few good hidden cache for other fellow geocachers to find. I don't agree to making "x" amount hides for the amount of caches you find. As long as you make quality hidden caches you are doing a great job it not the number of hides it the quality of the hide that the way I think it should be....

There are also other ways to give back to caching. Clean and restock caches. Replace logs. Write good logs. Host an event. Scratch a fellow cachers back. You know, that spot right between the shoulder blades where you just can't quite reach by yourself.

I see it worse, I once saw a brand name Lock N Lock inside a ziplock baggie!! I never laugh so hard in my life!

I don't use plastic bags inside my lock'n'locks or ammo can hides, but other cachers usually will supply them anyhow even if the log is dry. It's a nice gesture, but I had one lock'n'lock leak because of it. Cacher #1 adds the bag, cacher #2 closes the lid on the bag accidentally, cacher #3 then reports the contents are soaked after the next rain as a result ...

I don't use plastic bags inside my lock'n'locks or ammo can hides, but other cachers usually will supply them anyhow even if the log is dry. It's a nice gesture, but I had one lock'n'lock leak because of it. Cacher #1 adds the bag, cacher #2 closes the lid on the bag accidentally, cacher #3 then reports the contents are soaked after the next rain as a result ...

Anything can be left hanging out with the same results.

Anything can be left hanging out with the same results.

That's true especially if it is overfilled, however baggies in the small caches seem to be the biggest culprits.

I use a ziplock bag to hold both the logbook and geocoins, to keep them from falling to the bottom of the cache.

I'm not sure if you are missing the point or artfully dodging it. The point of my rant is to not use crappy containers. Ever. Crappy containers are the ones that require the use of a ziplock to protect the log. If you are going through a container selection process, and you start leaning toward "It'll be OK. I'll use a ziplock to keep the log dry", your container most likely fits firmly in the crappy column. If, during that same selection process, your thoughts are more along the lines of, "I could drive over this cache with an M-1 tank, then sink it to the bottom of the ocean, and the log will be fine, but I'll put it in a ziplock just in case", then you probably have a good cache container.

Ziplocs, even the heavier ones, will break down. Sometimes fairly quickly. They get folded, squished, pens are stuck in them and poke holes, etc. They should never be "counted on" to keep water out. They are a nice extra precaution, but as has already been mentioned, they're not going to be perfect.

I have a cache near Seattle, that is a lock-n-lock. There's lots of rain there, and it's in landscaping so it gets watered. It always seems to be slightly (or more) moist inside. Even with an intact ziploc, the logbook stay barely damp as well. I've never been able to change that (short of an ammo can, which wouldn't be able to fit there). So even the best laid plans don't always work. So if you start out with a container that isn't very good, you don't have much hope.

Ziplocs, even the heavier ones, will break down. Sometimes fairly quickly. They get folded, squished, pens are stuck in them and poke holes, etc. They should never be "counted on" to keep water out. They are a nice extra precaution, but as has already been mentioned, they're not going to be perfect.

I have a cache near Seattle, that is a lock-n-lock. There's lots of rain there, and it's in landscaping so it gets watered. It always seems to be slightly (or more) moist inside. Even with an intact ziploc, the logbook stay barely damp as well. I've never been able to change that (short of an ammo can, which wouldn't be able to fit there). So even the best laid plans don't always work. So if you start out with a container that isn't very good, you don't have much hope.

Have you tried placing the log inside one of those match containers and placing that inside the LnL?

Have you tried placing the log inside one of those match containers and placing that inside the LnL?

No. I wouldn't want to do that, because this is a regular-small sized cache with a notebook for a pad. Perhaps if I could find a teeny lock-n-lock. :)

No. I wouldn't want to do that, because this is a regular-small sized cache with a notebook for a pad. Perhaps if I could find a teeny lock-n-lock. :P

Probably just as well. Sure as Shinola someone would complain. "The log is in a micro container. Why would you list the size as a regular?" :)

No. I wouldn't want to do that, because this is a regular-small sized cache with a notebook for a pad. Perhaps if I could find a teeny lock-n-lock. ;)

Probably just as well. Sure as Shinola someone would complain. "The log is in a micro container. Why would you list the size as a regular?" :P

So true. :)

I'm not sure if you are missing the point or artfully dodging it. The point of my rant is to not use crappy containers. Ever. Crappy containers are the ones that require the use of a ziplock to protect the log. If you are going through a container selection process, and you start leaning toward "It'll be OK. I'll use a ziplock to keep the log dry", your container most likely fits firmly in the crappy column. If, during that same selection process, your thoughts are more along the lines of, "I could drive over this cache with an M-1 tank, then sink it to the bottom of the ocean, and the log will be fine, but I'll put it in a ziplock just in case", then you probably have a good cache container.

incase u havent noticed,,,most caches fit your crappy description. here we have had 80+ humidity, easily attained due point. even the local pros have damp stuff in water tight containers. I found 4 today in waterproof match containers, with water in them, no zip loc on the log...THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH OVER PROTECTION.Unless you like to do a lot of maintenance.

incase u havent noticed,,,most caches fit your crappy description.

While that may certainly be true in your home town, Oglesby IL, (can't say, as I haven't cached there), I can tell you that this is not true in Florida, where the humidity is simply brutal, or Georgia, where it's almost as bad. Finding moisture in a quality container, in these states, is actually pretty rare. As such, while a ziplock is almost always a real good idea, both as a secondary layer of protection from general moisture, and as a layer of protection against wet stuff intentionally left in caches, (Gaia save us from obliviots who leave bubble liquid in caches), the key word to my rant, once again, is "must". With my hides, I leave the log in a freezer quality ziplock because I want to, not because I "need" to. A difference that may be too subtle for some. If I "had" to leave the logs in a ziplock, that would demonstrate, to me, that my container choice really sucked.

incase u havent noticed,,,most caches fit your crappy description.

, (Gaia save us from obliviots who leave bubble liquid in caches), the key word to my rant, once again, is "must". With my hides, I leave the log in a freezer quality ziplock because I want to, not because I "need" to. A difference that may be too subtle for some. If I "had" to leave the logs in a ziplock, that would demonstrate, to me, that my container choice really sucked.

Someone put a small bottle of hand sanitizer in one of my caches, and it blew the bottle apart from the heat. At least the contents were "sanitary".

To the OP: As long as you are enjoying what you are doing, and others are enjoying your hides, all is good (even if it does seem a bit crazy to me!).

What can be a problem is when cachers feel pressured to hide a certain number. There was a thread recently about number of hides vs finds, where I was told I was not giving back enough as I didn't have enough hides compared to my finds. I think it is great to "give back", and there are some very prolific hiders out there. But people should not feel pressured to hide a certain amount or percentage.

Am I nuts?

Yeah...but why don't you focus more on quality...like something that can fit trade items and travelers. I don't usually say so, but goin hog wild with micros is the ruination of the game. Thanks for the help. I just love it when I visit an area abd I can't find a regular Ccahe within 2 moles of where I am. My mom was visiting from TN and I couldn't even take her when we went to visit her mom, bacause all there were was Micros. Great Job.

ive seen ammo cans where the logbook is in a ziplock baggie <_<

I use a ziplock bag to hold both the logbook and geocoins, to keep them from falling to the bottom of the cache.

Right. I've seen quite a few ammo cans where ziplock bags are used to separate the content. One bags for the log and another for swag, and perhaps one to hold trackable items.

Am I nuts?

Yeah...but why don't you focus more on quality...like something that can fit trade items and travelers. I don't usually say so, but goin hog wild with micros is the ruination of the game. Thanks for the help. I just love it when I visit an area abd I can't find a regular Ccahe within 2 moles of where I am. My mom was visiting from TN and I couldn't even take her when we went to visit her mom, bacause all there were was Micros. Great Job.

I plan to change my first geocache to a giant cache, a 5 gallon bucket! loaded with goodies.

Am I nuts?

I plan to change my first geocache to a giant cache, a 5 gallon bucket! loaded with goodies.

Put a can of beans and a book in there :D

Am I nuts?

Put a can of beans and a book in there :D

That would be a nice homage to the original. Has anybody made a container that looked like a can of beans?