replacing full or wet logs

TEEBEE&JAY

I did some caching last nite and 2 of the caches had wet logs ,more than damp they were soggy. when I logged the finds I let the CO know that the logs needed replacing. Today He disabled 5 of his caches saying he did not have the time to either check the Caches each tine they were logged DNF or needed replacement logs. he also said that cachers used to replace full or damaged logs. is there any proticol for this ?

I did some caching last nite and 2 of the caches had wet logs ,more than damp they were soggy. when I logged the finds I let the CO know that the logs needed replacing. Today He disabled 5 of his caches saying he did not have the time to either check the Caches each tine they were logged DNF or needed replacement logs. he also said that cachers used to replace full or damaged logs. is there any proticol for this ?

If the cache owner can't maintain his caches he shouldn't be hiding them. It is not up to finders to maintain caches for cache owners. Some finders will help out and repair a cache, add a new logbook if one is full and do other minor maintenance, but for an owner to expect it, that's chutzpah.

I carry some paper or spare logs with me. If a log can't be signed even by my felt tip pen I'll drop a new one in and send an email to the cache owner to let them know. Sometimes they prefer to have a certain type of log sheet or something like that so I like to be courteous. No one has of yet gotten upset (to me anyhow) about this practice and I have gotten thank you notes from COs.

If the owner can't maintain a magnetic micro that is in town, then he probably shouldn't be in the cache ownership business. The cache that I looked at seems to get wet within a week. Does he expect each finder to bring their own replacement log?

Personally, I will not maintain someone elses cache in the city. If the cache is an extended hike and I can offer a little TLC to save the owner a trip, I'm more than happy to do so. A leaky Altoids behind Walmart. You're on your own.

I carry some paper or spare logs with me. If a log can't be signed even by my felt tip pen I'll drop a new one in and send an email to the cache owner to let them know. Sometimes they prefer to have a certain type of log sheet or something like that so I like to be courteous. No one has of yet gotten upset (to me anyhow) about this practice and I have gotten thank you notes from COs.

Very helpful of you. But for a CO to expect this is rude beyond belief. The maintenance of a cache is the responsibility of the cache owner, not the finders. If the CO in question doesn't wish to, or can't, perform the maintenance on his caches he should archive them, not disable them.

Very helpful of you. But for a CO to expect this is rude beyond belief. The maintenance of a cache is the responsibility of the cache owner, not the finders. If the CO in question doesn't wish to, or can't, perform the maintenance on his caches he should archive them, not disable them.

I agree with you a co should not expect others to maintain their cache for them.

I had someone replace the log for me and offered to mail it to me if I wanted it. Since it was a micro, I am sure there aren't any real goods logs, so I told them thank you and to not worry about sending it to me. However, I don't expect anyone to maintain my caches any more than I would expect others to check the oil in my jeep.

The wife and I only eat a full breakfast on weekends. When we first started dating I would cook it when at my house and she would when at her house.

After about 6 years of dating we got marred married and I sold my home and moved into her home.

I enjoyed her making breakfast every weekend. Until she decided that me expecting breakfast cooked for me every weekend was not cool.

This relates because when you have the house (cache), you do the cooking (maintenance).

Or maybe I am just hungry and thinking of bacon...

I like most of you believe that the maintenance of the cache is the owners responsibility. That being said, we always have several sizes of ziploc bags, several sizes of log strips and a paper towel or two. If we get to a site and it's wet, we clean it up, dry out the container, put a new log in a new bag close it up and re-hide it. I make a note in a small notebook I carry about the cache and what maintenance was performed. When I get home from caching I log my finds and what if any maintenance I performed on a cache. I send a note to the owner letting him/her know that I replaced the log and will send it to them if they want it. I have received a lot of thank you notes from the owners. I have not had one owner complain and have not had any request the log be returned.

I guess that I'm just trying to make sure the person that comes after me has a dry log to sign. I don't think that caches need to be treated as P&G's even if they are P&G's. This is a game, it is supposed to be fun for everyone.

I carry ziplocs and place the logbook in a bag. If the container is wet, I dry it with a towel I carry. If the cache has some issues, and the owner posted a note asking a finder to perform maintenance until he'll be able to revisit, I do the maintenance (replace a wet logbook, or replace a broken container). If the owner is unwilling to perform maintenance (or at least interested enough to post a note on the cache page), then I don't replace anything. One thing is to ask for a little help, while expecting it is a completely different thing.

Yes. Go back and log NA on the caches that you found. If the owner isn't interested in maintaining his caches, he shouldn't be hiding them.

Here's a log from a cache we found last week.

We snuck in to San Diego for an afternoon fishing trip with one of the grandsons, and just had to do a couple of caches in our old stomping grounds.

When we saw this one we just had to do it as we were one of the recruits that went through her more years ago then I care to remember, anyway when we found the cache the logs were soaking wet and the O ring was missing from the container we replaced the O ring and dried out the inside as best as we could and placed a new log inside,

We placed the wet logs inside another container and placed it with the original

yeah I know a little above and beyond but what the heck :unsure:

Bottomline, its not your responsibility to maintain someone else's caches. You can give some TLC if you are so inclined.

The most honest thing you can do is let the CO know there is an issue with the cache. Look at it from another point of view, some COs don't want people messing with the cache and prefer to do it on their own. If you did something, you may have come to the forums with a different issue, like I just got flamed by a CO for trying to help!

This particular CO seems to be tetchy, and prob shouldn't have any caches that they do not want to maintain.

Forget about it and go on your way to have more fun

A couple months ago near a lake I found a Decon container with a soaked log inside. It appeared as though someone had let it rain into the container while they signed the log, then failed to dump the water before replacing the lid. I had a spare bison-tube with a blank log inside, so I marked them as "Auxilliary Log" and dropped into the Decon container. I dropped a note to the CO to let him know what I'd done. It made me feel pretty good to learn he'd been down and out for a while with an injury and was grateful. Sure there are a few bad examples out there, but me and Pollyanna and Anne Frank believe most cachers who enjoy playing the game also like to look out for each other's game pieces.

If he's disabled them rather than just emailing you back and leaving them be, then that says to me that he's *really* not interested in keeping them up. I agree with GeoBeeGee, time for a NA log.

However, normally, I carry things in my car like replacement logsheets, ziplocks, etc. If a cache has a really wet log that is getting everything else wet in the cache sometimes I will put the wet log in a ziploc and add some new paper. Or, I will take the old log out and take it home... BUT I always tell the cache owner. Some cache owners prefer to do their own maintenance, and some may even want to have the soggy log after it's been removed; you'd be surprised.

Over time I've kind of gotten to know the preferences and habits of cache hiders in our area, which helps me make good decisions about caches needing maintenance.

And pick up and dispose of what's left of them so they don't become geolitter, but that's probably not going to happen.