Getting info from GSAK into SD card?

uxorious

My laptop with Windows XP just died. Now I need to use my desk top with Window Vista to load the caches into my m500 palm.

I know you can us an SD card to do that, but I can't figure out how to move the information from GSAK onto the card.

I think I have seen it discussed here in the forums before, but I can't find it. ( the search on this forum is really bad.)

If the laptop is beyond repair, (I think it's the motherboard.) I will be buying a new one. That means Windows 7. Will the process be the same for that system?

Using GSAK you can "EXPORT" a GPX file. Do you have a card reader? If so put the card in it and it should show up as a removable drive. Filter what results you want in GSAK and then under "FILE" menu choose "EXPORT" and "GPX" and then select the card as the destination to save the file.

OK I tried this, but the Palm doesn't recognize the card. I can't tell if the information got onto the card, as the palm won't read it. It just says it doesn't recognize this card.

Are there different types of SD cards, and is it possible I might need a different kind?

Man I sure hope they can fix my laptop. I really like windows XP and I hate my Windows Vista. No way do I want to get a new laptop and learn everything again on Windows 7. :):wub:

From a previous post. I have a Win 7 computer and this works like a champ for me. A update to that procedure I now have a cachemate directory on my SD card and that is the one I use to copy database files back and forth on.

If you have problems or questions give a shout or drop a PM.

Jim

Thank you for those links, those were the ones I had hoped to find with search. :)

At that time I had thought my laptop was toast, and in fact it was, but I managed to get another one with Windows XP. Now my new (used) is down, and I may have to replace it. However, I may be able to get this one fixed.

However, someday I will have to give up on Windows XP, just hope it isn't too soon. :wub:

OK I tried this, but the Palm doesn't recognize the card. I can't tell if the information got onto the card, as the palm won't read it. It just says it doesn't recognize this card.

Are there different types of SD cards, and is it possible I might need a different kind?

Man I sure hope they can fix my laptop. I really like windows XP and I hate my Windows Vista. No way do I want to get a new laptop and learn everything again on Windows 7. :)B)

I know this is late, but yes, there are different types of SD card. The newer high capacity (2 gb and above) are SDHD. Most older devices cannot read these cards. For any device that doesn't specify that it can read SDHD cards, you will have to stick to 1 GB or smaller SD cards.