Our first Mega Event

We will be attending our first event, and there will be 50 new caches to find.

My question is whether or not I should empty my gps so that I know which ones are the one I want to be searching?

I live in the town of the event so I have many caches loaded for the area.

How would you distinguish between the old ones in the area and the new ones?

Hope you have fun. There are several ways to do what you want. 1. As a premium member you could run a pocket query and filter by date placed. You also might filter out what you have already found. 2. Run a pocket query of all the caches in the area and load into GSAK, then filter out the ones you don't want to search for. I empty my gps and load new information for each adventure I am planning.

We will be attending our first event, and there will be 50 new caches to find.

My question is whether or not I should empty my gps so that I know which ones are the one I want to be searching?

I live in the town of the event so I have many caches loaded for the area.

How would you distinguish between the old ones in the area and the new ones?

New ones have new GC #s.

That being said, every cache that I haven't found is new, to me. Therefore, I simply load my GPSr with unfound caches and don't much care about whether they were placed yesterday or last month (or five years ago).

Hope you have fun. There are several ways to do what you want. 1. As a premium member you could run a pocket query and filter by date placed. You also might filter out what you have already found. 2. Run a pocket query of all the caches in the area and load into GSAK, then filter out the ones you don't want to search for. I empty my gps and load new information for each adventure I am planning.

It should be a good time...Although, I am a bit nervous, too.

I was considering emptying out my gps so that when I reload it I will have updated information. Some of them have been loaded for a few months and may or may not even be there anymore.

New ones have new GC #s.

That being said, every cache that I haven't found is new, to me. Therefore, I simply load my GPSr with unfound caches and don't much care about whether they were placed yesterday or last month (or five years ago).

The new ones posted just for this event come with little stampers. you stamp your card and with every ten that you find you get a raffle ticket entered for some prizes. So I don't think I want to waste any time searching through a whole list of GC #'s

Just a thought

Edited by Nuts-n-boelts

My personal guideline for mega-events is: "take last year's caches", or even better... "the year before last year". Why? Because you can go geocaching, instead of standing in line for writing down your name. The situation you describe (log new caches to qualify for prizes) would probably lead to a short evaluation: "fun vs winning a prize". Fun would most likely be the winner :-)

Some of them have been loaded for a few months and may or may not even be there anymore.

GET RID OF THEM!!!

Load a fresh lot -NOW!

Never cache with old data. The cache may have been archived. :)

For the local 10 years! event I loaded all the local caches. Even the ones I'd found.

It's nice to cache in a group. They may even help you with those caches you struggle with!

(Although the only cache I did 'find' again was the Wherigo that I'd got FTF on the previous evening. -But it was fun doing it again, with another local using my GPS, whilst we were going around finding the new caches placed for the event.)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Always cache with fresh data in your GPS.

Always mark a waypoint for the car.

Are you attending the event to meet new people and have fun, and get a nifty new icon too?

Or are you attending the event because you really want one of the big bonus prizes that you need the stamp for?

Probably a little bit of both? Perhaps you can run 2 PQ's, one for all nearby caches that you are interested in, one for just those fifty and modify the names of those that are special for the event so that they will stand out in your GPS display a bit for you? Before I swapped my 60 CSx for an Oregon, I used to add a + to the end of any puzzle cache that had been adjusted for the correct coords. This made it easier to differentiate them in the field.

Edited by wimseyguy

New ones have new GC #s.

The new ones posted just for this event come with little stampers. you stamp your card and with every ten that you find you get a raffle ticket entered for some prizes. So I don't think I want to waste any time searching through a whole list of GC #'s

Just a thought

You don't have to sort through them because your GPSr can order them by cache id. All of teh newest caches will have the largest GC# (currently something like GC2D999).