Is There a Requirement to Sign the Log on a Traditional Cache?

Thot

It seems like I read somewhere that to claim a find on gc.com it's necessary to sign the log, but I can't find it now. I assume there are exceptions for unusual situations, but is there some kind of rule about signing the log?

From the guidelines ....

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

If it is appropriate for your cache location or theme, you may ask the cache seeker to accomplish an optional and simple task, either close to the cache site (normally within 0.1 miles or 161 meters) or when writing their online log. For example, wear the goofy hat inside the cache container and upload a photograph. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish optional tasks. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

I have always wondered. If you get to a cache, and the log paper was soaked and literally had turned into paper mache, can you log it as found, if you log a maintenance log stating that log's current state.

I do, especially if previous logs have mentioned wet or soaked log.

I have always wondered. If you get to a cache, and the log paper was soaked and literally had turned into paper mache . . .

I assume that's one of the 'unusual situations' I mentioned. But, as many wet & soaked logs I've run into, only a very few were totally unsignable mush. I carry replacement logs with me, so in those cases I can usually sign one of my replacements and include it in the cache.

Another such situation is a rusted shut container.

Edited by Thot

I have always wondered. If you get to a cache, and the log paper was soaked and literally had turned into paper mache, can you log it as found, if you log a maintenance log stating that log's current state.

I do, especially if previous logs have mentioned wet or soaked log.

It is realy between you and the CO. Technicaly, the CO can delete your Found log if you have not signed the log book. However, usualy, if you send a massage to the CO explaining the situation that resulted in the no signature, the CO will be cool. I have never had a CO ask me to delete the log.

PS. If you don't sign the log, just make super sure that you found the actualy cache.

Never mind. I found it

The quoted section of the guidelines refers only to what were known as Additional Logging Requirements. Prior to April 2009, cache owners could put requirements for using the online Found log on their caches. They might ask cachers to post a picture or to write the log in a certain style. Some cachers complained when they found a cache and later discovered there was an additional requirement so they could not log a Found online. The guidelines were first changed so that caches that had this sort of requirement had to be listed as mystery/unknown type caches. That way, cachers would read the cache page and know about the requirement before hunting the cache. Unfortunately, cache owners began posting requirements simply to see what people were willing to do to get a smiley. There was no easy way to have a guideline to allow requirements that were fun or made sense for a particular situation and not allow those that were unnecessary and too onerous. So instead, the idea of allowing cache owners to place requirements on when you could use a Found log online was rescinded. Cache owners were no longer allowed to delete Found logs based on failure to meet these requirments. Cache finders were told that geocaches could be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed despite any ohter requirements that were given by the cache owner on the cache page.

There is no guideline anywhere that says you may not use an online Found log unless you have sign the log. Cache owners are told to delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements. So cache owners can still delete online Found logs. Some owners have chosen to interpret bogus to mean that the physical log must be signed. Sometimes, a cache owner will hide a cache that has an additional challenge to retrieve the cache, open it, and sign the log. These cache owners are more likely to insist that the log be signed. Most cache owners will accept reasonable explanations of why the log wasn't signed. Cachers should not feel they have to sign a physical log in order to use the Found log, but they should be aware that some cache owners may require it.

I usually avoid given advice in the Getting Started forum other than you should sign the log. However, the misrepresentation by a small number of geoachers that signing the log is an absolute requirement for using the Found log on a cache is just wrong. The Found Log is not a reward given by the cache owner. It is not a score (though some people view this way). The Found Log is a way for a geocacher to share their experience searching for a cache with the cache owner and the rest of the geocaching community. If a cacher found the cache but didn't sign the log for some reason, they can still log a Found It online if that best represents their experience. Cache owners may delete these logs but in my opinion they are being draconian (I had fun with the thesaurus in order to avoid the word I would generally use here).

Note: Thanks Motorcycle Mama for moving this from getting started. It caused an error when I went to post may reply. :)

Now I can use the word I wanted to use: puritanical.

Happened to me three times and all three times I logged a find. I found the caches, what am I going to do log a didn't find it? That would be inaccurate.

In one case I left a business card with my sig on the back, in another I signed a dry piece of paper and slipped it inside. In the third the log couldn't even be removed without disintegrating and there was no room to add anything so I photographed the container and included it in my log.

I usually avoid given advice in the Getting Started forum other than you should sign the log. However, the misrepresentation by a small number of geoachers that signing the log is an absolute requirement for using the Found log on a cache is just wrong. The Found Log is not a reward given by the cache owner. It is not a score (though some people view this way). The Found Log is a way for a geocacher to share their experience searching for a cache with the cache owner and the rest of the geocaching community. If a cacher found the cache but didn't sign the log for some reason, they can still log a Found It online if that best represents their experience. Cache owners may delete these logs but in my opinion they are being draconian (I had fun with the thesaurus in order to avoid the word I would generally use here).

Well said. Unless getting at the log involves some sort of puzzle, there really is no reason to delete found it logs on legit finds because the log wasn't signed. I recall a cacher who found one of my caches and the ammo box was frozen shut. He logged a DNF. I told him to log a find, because he found the cache.

The way I see it, this is geoCACHING, not geoLOGGING. The point of the sport is to find caches. The log is only there as proof you made the find. If someone can provide another form of proof, that should be good enough. As a cache owner, someone's word is proof enough for me (unless there is enough evidence that his word is no good).

Why wouldn't you sign the log? Soggy logs are the exception not the rule.

Some excuses I've seen:

Forgot to bring a pencil

just plain forgot to

Container was frozen shut

soggy log

missing log

attacked by bees (this happened on one of my caches. The finder dropped the cache and ran. I went there and could see the direction he ran in by following his trail. Cache, swag, baggie, logbook and pencil spread out over 20 yards. pretty funny - well not for him I guess).

Well said. Unless getting at the log involves some sort of puzzle, there really is no reason to delete found it logs on legit finds because the log wasn't signed. I recall a cacher who found one of my caches and the ammo box was frozen shut. He logged a DNF. I told him to log a find, because he found the cache.

The way I see it, this is geoCACHING, not geoLOGGING. The point of the sport is to find caches. The log is only there as proof you made the find. If someone can provide another form of proof, that should be good enough. As a cache owner, someone's word is proof enough for me (unless there is enough evidence that his word is no good).

The caveat being that the 4 star terrain cache up in a tree that you see but can't reach is an exception to your rule. I contend, that unless it's a puzzle, you should at least have the cache container in your hands.

If a cacher found the cache but didn't sign the log for some reason, they can still log a Found It online if that best represents their experience. Cache owners may delete these logs but in my opinion they are being draconian (I had fun with the thesaurus in order to avoid the word I would generally use here).

hmmz... and what about those found logs where the person says "seen the cache up in the tree but couldn't climb to get it" and variations of this kind, you get my point, you saying those found logs are valid? :)

However, the misrepresentation by a small number of geoachers that signing the log is an absolute requirement for using the Found log on a cache is just wrong.

Um, gosh, NO!NO! NO! NOT "wrong". Nobody is misrepresenting anything but you. Signing the log IS an absolute requirement for claiming an online find on a regular cache. It's all nouns and verbs, plain English and one-syllable words. "sign the Log". I don't know why the forum lawyers find this concept so difficult to understand. Putting a conflicting idea in italics doesn't make it so. It's so easy!

"Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location. :)

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online."

Well said. Unless getting at the log involves some sort of puzzle, there really is no reason to delete found it logs on legit finds because the log wasn't signed.

What if it's a 4+ terrain cache that's 30 feet up in a tree and the cacher's find log says, "I saw it but didn't want to climb the tree.

What if the cacher's find log says "I could see the cache, but I was on the wrong side of the creek."

However, the misrepresentation by a small number of geoachers that signing the log is an absolute requirement for using the Found log on a cache is just wrong.

Um, gosh, NO!NO! NO! NOT "wrong". Nobody is misrepresenting anything but you. Signing the log IS an absolute requirement for claiming an online find on a regular cache. It's all nouns and verbs, plain English and one-syllable words. "sign the Log". I don't know why the forum lawyers find this concept so difficult to understand. Putting a conflicting idea in italics doesn't make it so. It's so easy!

So all those Found logs I posted with a premium membership, and that I didn't upload photos for, and for which I got coordinates using something other than a postal code -- those are all invalid?

Sorry, I don't see anything there that says you MUST do step 7 (or any other previous step) before you're allowed to do step 8.

Edited by Dinoprophet

It makes me wonder about some of you. If you read the logs prior to going to the cache site and know that the cache log might be wet why don't you carry a spare log with you? It seems ignorant to me to look for a cache that may have a wet log and have no way to repair it.

It also makes me wonder if some of you read the logs and see that previous logs have reported a wet log actually go to the cache site. Maybe when you see these types of logs you log a Found It. If you do, you are only cheating yourself.

If you see that there is a potential maintenance issue, take a few paper towels, a spare ziploc and a spare log with you when you go for the cache. Keep it fun for everyone else.

It seems like I read somewhere that to claim a find on gc.com it's necessary to sign the log, but I can't find it now. I assume there are exceptions for unusual situations, but is there some kind of rule about signing the log?
If you haven't already realized it, you are getting a whole bunch of opinions, some of which are stated as fact. The fact is, the powers that be have never given their stance on this issue, thereby causing many long-winded debates on the matter.

I think the majority would say that you *should* sign the physical log whenever you can, and that if you can't, there should be a better reason than simply that you did not dare to climb a tree or rappel down a cliff. But in any case, it is between you and the cache owner. Nobody else is going to delete your log.

Well said. Unless getting at the log involves some sort of puzzle, there really is no reason to delete found it logs on legit finds because the log wasn't signed.

What if it's a 4+ terrain cache that's 30 feet up in a tree and the cacher's find log says, "I saw it but didn't want to climb the tree.

What if the cacher's find log says "I could see the cache, but I was on the wrong side of the creek."

Those aren't legit finds in my book, nor in the books of most geocachers I know. In the geocaching world a find is generally defined by most as more than simply seeing the cache from a distance.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location. smile.gif

According to these "rules" if your get your info from a PQ you are breaking them. If you don't upload a photo you are breaking them. If you don't use a zipcode search you are breaking them. But they aren't rules, it is nothing more than a basic "how to" for new geocachers.

For the most part, for something to be counted as a find the only real rules are between the finder and the cache owner.

Edited by briansnat

I use an iPhone to find caches. A lot of times I am pulling up a cache on my lunch break. I dont have time to read the logs ahead of time. Maybe the owner should put it in the description that you need to bring your own log. I dont know why we should be expected to read all the logs before hunting a cache.

Never mind. I found it

The quoted section of the guidelines refers only to what were known as Additional Logging Requirements. Prior to April 2009, cache owners could put requirements for using the online Found log on their caches. They might ask cachers to post a picture or to write the log in a certain style. Some cachers complained when they found a cache and later discovered there was an additional requirement so they could not log a Found online. The guidelines were first changed so that caches that had this sort of requirement had to be listed as mystery/unknown type caches. That way, cachers would read the cache page and know about the requirement before hunting the cache. Unfortunately, cache owners began posting requirements simply to see what people were willing to do to get a smiley. There was no easy way to have a guideline to allow requirements that were fun or made sense for a particular situation and not allow those that were unnecessary and too onerous. So instead, the idea of allowing cache owners to place requirements on when you could use a Found log online was rescinded. Cache owners were no longer allowed to delete Found logs based on failure to meet these requirments. Cache finders were told that geocaches could be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed despite any ohter requirements that were given by the cache owner on the cache page.

There is no guideline anywhere that says you may not use an online Found log unless you have sign the log. Cache owners are told to delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements. So cache owners can still delete online Found logs. Some owners have chosen to interpret bogus to mean that the physical log must be signed. Sometimes, a cache owner will hide a cache that has an additional challenge to retrieve the cache, open it, and sign the log. These cache owners are more likely to insist that the log be signed. Most cache owners will accept reasonable explanations of why the log wasn't signed. Cachers should not feel they have to sign a physical log in order to use the Found log, but they should be aware that some cache owners may require it.

Note: Thanks Motorcycle Mama for moving this from getting started. It caused an error when I went to post may reply. :)

Now I can use the word I wanted to use: puritanical.

Why is it that your long winded explanations just seem to confuse more than they help?

The meat of your post could have been simply state with this one line.

Cachers should not feel they have to sign a physical log in order to use the Found log, but they should be aware that some cache owners may require it.

I think the majority would say that you *should* sign the physical log whenever you can, and that if you can't, there should be a better reason than simply that you did not dare to climb a tree or rappel down a cliff. But in any case, it is between you and the cache owner. Nobody else is going to delete your log.

Exactly right.

attacked by bees (this happened on one of my caches. The finder dropped the cache and ran. I went there and could see the direction he ran in by following his trail. Cache, swag, baggie, logbook and pencil spread out over 20 yards. pretty funny - well not for him I guess).

Now that IS a good excuse! LOL

I personally like "rule" number 6. Ok, anyone who ever found a hidden geocache without using a GPS device to assist them is a cheater.

And all the people who dont enter coordinates into their GPS device (rule number 5) and instead just wander around till the device reads the coordinates of the cache are cheaters as well.

And I think I'll delete all the TFTC logs I get because those people aren't sharing geocaching stories and photos.

Sorry, you'll have to do better than this to prove a signed log is a requirement.

I think the converse is true in regards to Additional Logging Requirements, and that is where the confusion lies:

That does not necessarily mean that you HAVE to sign the log book to be able to claim a find. I would agree that there is no hard and fast rule and that it is between the cache owner and the finder.

If you haven't already realized it, you are getting a whole bunch of opinions, some of which are stated as fact. The fact is, the powers that be have never given their stance on this issue, thereby causing many long-winded debates on the matter.

I couldn't say this any better.

It's times like these when I wonder "why isn't there a FAQ stickied to the top of this forum?"

I use an iPhone to find caches. A lot of times I am pulling up a cache on my lunch break. I dont have time to read the logs ahead of time. Maybe the owner should put it in the description that you need to bring your own log. I dont know why we should be expected to read all the logs before hunting a cache.

Maybe you should carry a few blank logs with you so you can do a little repair work while on your lunch break.

It makes me wonder about some of you. If you read the logs prior to going to the cache site and know that the cache log might be wet why don't you carry a spare log with you? It seems ignorant to me to look for a cache that may have a wet log and have no way to repair it.

I paperless cache and get alerts on my GPS and will sometimes stop on my way home impromptu. Sometimes I dont have my cache bag with spare logs.

It also makes me wonder if some of you read the logs and see that previous logs have reported a wet log actually go to the cache site. Maybe when you see these types of logs you log a Found It. If you do, you are only cheating yourself.

Maybe in your world, but not mine. For me its the thrill of finding the cache, not the happy face or a number added to my low total. I dont see how I am cheating myself when my entire goal is just to find the cache. If I find a glob of papermache and I dont have spare logs to replace them, im hardly cheating myself of anything.

Maybe you should carry a few blank logs with you so you can do a little repair work while on your lunch break.

It is not a finders responsibility to perform cache maintaince. Since I have started I have add 3 or 4 replacement logs, but never felt like I had to.

And I would never put down a finder for not having a spare log. Some people dont have printers, some people are on thier lunch break. Some people just dont care. Im not going to give them guff for playing the game they want to.

Edited by EhFhQ

Pure and simple. Call me a purist. Anyone who cannot understand this is an atheist!

Wasps chased me away? That's a DNF. Expecting to log a find on that without first asking the CO for permission is entitement! That's between you, your conscience, and the cache owner.

Forgot your pencil? That's pretty dumb! Did you sign the log? Nope? DNF. If the CO allows you to log that, after asking, then that's his prerpgative. Don't assume that you're entitled.

Pure and simple. Call me a purist. Anyone who cannot understand this is an atheist!

Wasps chased me away? That's a DNF. Expecting to log a find on that without first asking the CO for permission is entitement! That's between you, your conscience, and the cache owner.

Forgot your pencil? That's pretty dumb! Did you sign the log? Nope? DNF. If the CO allows you to log that, after asking, then that's his prerpgative. Don't assume that you're entitled.

I think the converse is true in regards to Additional Logging Requirements, and that is where the confusion lies:

That does not necessarily mean that you HAVE to sign the log book to be able to claim a find. I would agree that there is no hard and fast rule and that it is between the cache owner and the finder.

I guess it's really inverse logic: "If it's raining, then Sam will meet Jack at the movies." ≠ "If it's not raining, then Sam will not meet Jack at the movies."

Just because you are allowed to log online after you sign the log book does not mean that you are only allowed to log online after you signed the logbook.

Groundspeak's statement says when people have the RIGHT to log online (once they sign the log book). The guidelines are mute on when someone does NOT have the right.

Edited by Markwell

Anyone who cannot understand this is an atheist!

Of course one may believe anything as a matter of faith, then the people who don't believe are atheists.

Nobody is forcing you to log a Found online without signing the physical log. So far as I know there is no way for a cache owner to go and log a Found It for you if you don't. The cache owner will read you DNF log where the wasps chased you or where you forgot a pencil and will know that you found his cache. But he can't force you to use the proper log. You are free to practice your faith on Geocaching.com no matter how much an atheist the cache owner is.

The converse is a bit more controversial. A "believer" cache owner can now delete the legitimate log of someone who found the cache because they failed to sign a log. Most cache owners are quite tolerant and won't delete Found It logs if the cacher really found the cache and simply was unable to sign the log. A cache owner who has placed the cache is such a way that retieving the cache or opening it to sign the log is a special challenge may want to use the signed log as proof that the challenge was met and the cacher isn't just claiming the find because they saw the cache high up in a tree. A signed log is a simple way to provide proof you actually found a cache and met any challenges the owner intended. I would hope that a reasonable cache owner would accept other proof. It is also possible for a cache owner to put a challenge out and not worry too much if a person uses the Found log when they didn't actually retrieve the cache. Those who want to meet the challenge can and will do it anyhow - either because their faith tells them to sign the log or because meeting the challenge is something they enjoy doing. People shouldn't be climbing trees just to get a smiley.

Genuinely bogus logs should be deleted. For this reason I would recommend that cachers routinely sign logs. Missing a log once in a while is OK, but routinely not signing would make it difficult to distiguish your finds from a truly bogus log. (Truly bogus loggers tend to log a bunch of caches they didn't even visit. When you see a group of caches logged online by someone who didn't sign a single log you can be pretty sure they are bogus).

Just because you are allowed to log online after you sign the log book does not mean that you are only allowed to log online after you signed the logbook.

In other words, it's "IF you sign the log, you may log online"; it is not "IF AND ONLY IF you sign the log, you may log online".

Can we all agree that the answer to "Is there a requirement to sign the log on a traditional cache?" is "There are for some caches and not for others"?

In other words, it's "IF you sign the log, you may log online"; it is not "IF AND ONLY IF you sign the log, you may log online".

Can we all agree that the answer to "Is there a requirement to sign the log on a traditional cache?" is "There are for some caches and not for others"?

Heck, we can't even agree to disagree around here.

Maybe in your world, but not mine. For me its the thrill of finding the cache, not the happy face or a number added to my low total. I dont see how I am cheating myself when my entire goal is just to find the cache. If I find a glob of papermache and I dont have spare logs to replace them, im hardly cheating myself of anything.

Bravo!

Heck, we can't even agree to disagree around here.

Yup. So true. How many times has this been hashed and rehashed and rehashed again? There IS no answer. The question is a koan.

creative-sleep.jpg

I can understand your interpretation. And I agree that generally the log should be signed. I also agree with asking the cache owner if you can not sign the log for some reason.

I just don't interpret this statement to say "under no circumstances can a cache be logged as a find online unless the physical log has been signed".

To me, it all comes down to how important the log signing is as part of the overall find. In the case where I was chased by wasps - I solved a complex puzzle, I made my way across difficult terrain, and I found the cache. It was at ground level, I touched it. Then the wasps came and I left. Sure I could log it as a DNF, but to me, I did find the cache, and "found it" is a better description of my experience than DNF. Before I logged anything I explained what happened to the cache owner, and they said "by all means, log it as a find". It the CO had said "no signature, no find", I would have been disappointed, but would have accepted that.

The caveat being that the 4 star terrain cache up in a tree that you see but can't reach is an exception to your rule. I contend, that unless it's a puzzle, you should at least have the cache container in your hands.

:unsure:

Sorry...just thought it was funny that it was stated twice...in relative short order...