We're Going To Disneyland!

J the Goat

I'm freakin' jazzed that we were able to throw together a semi-impromptu trip to Disneyland with my parents, my brother and his family, and my uncle who just got back from a couple of years in Italy. We're going in the middle of next month.

I'm planning on hitting all the virts in the park and surrounding Disney properties, and have started looking at the nearby caches to see which ones I want to tackle. Anyone have any musts in the area? Say a 10 mile radius?

This is gonna be a sweet trip....

I'm freakin' jazzed that we were able to throw together a semi-impromptu trip to Disneyland with my parents, my brother and his family, and my uncle who just got back from a couple of years in Italy. We're going in the middle of next month.

I'm planning on hitting all the virts in the park and surrounding Disney properties, and have started looking at the nearby caches to see which ones I want to tackle. Anyone have any musts in the area? Say a 10 mile radius?

Well if you are the Adventurous type and like a challenge you could try my series

Swallowed By Darkness - They are not puzzles in the sense of a puzzle, you just need to follow the directions given on the cache page to find the cache...

http://coord.info/GC1RYJY

http://coord.info/GC1RYKC

http://coord.info/GC1RYKM

and there is one extra not placed by me...

http://coord.info/GC1ZXAX

The virtuals in Disneyland gave me something to do when the rest of my family wanted to do some rides that were not my type. I thought it was too bad that there was not a traditional on Tom Sawyer's Island, but surprisingly, Disney has not gone along with the program. Perhaps the Matterhorn could at least be made into an earthcache. In any event, enjoy!

[A friend of mine recently moved to the house where the woman who was voice of Snow White used to live. I thought that was an interesting Disney connection which got me thinking about going back. But now that the virtuals are done, what would I do?]

I thought it was too bad that there was not a traditional on Tom Sawyer's Island, but surprisingly, Disney has not gone along with the program.
The traditional caches on Disney property were archived years ago.

Yup. They did not last long. Not surprisingly with all the cameras, security, and landscaping crews about. In general, my experience with Disney people indicates that they are very protective and have no sense of humor about some things. Although people still continue to try to push the limits of the park in some ways.

But its probably for the best. Maintenance would be a problem with a traditional. I wouldn't want to pay the entry fee every time I needed to change the logs on a nano. Still, I can't help thinking that an ammo can on top of the Matterhorn would give the place a little more adventure,

Edited by mulvaney
I thought it was too bad that there was not a traditional on Tom Sawyer's Island, but surprisingly, Disney has not gone along with the program.
The traditional caches on Disney property were archived years ago.

Yup. They did not last long. Not surprisingly with all the cameras and security in place. And maintenance would be a problem with a traditional. I wouldn't want to pay the entry fee every time I needed to change the logs on a nano. But wouldn't an ammo can on top of the Matterhorn give the place a little more adventure?

At 82.00 a pop now I wouldn't want to do maintenance either!

Well if you are the Adventurous type and like a challenge you could try my series

Swallowed By Darkness - They are not puzzles in the sense of a puzzle, you just need to follow the directions given on the cache page to find the cache...

http://coord.info/GC1RYJY

http://coord.info/GC1RYKC

http://coord.info/GC1RYKM

and there is one extra not placed by me...

http://coord.info/GC1ZXAX

Those look fun, what kind of time do they seem to average?

It seems to take about 2 hours on average...

Although it depends a lot on the scare factor of those doing it... when in a large party they seem to move through them a lot faster... (less "fear" of the unknown) the bravest of the cachers it took them an hour and 15 mins...

I can do them in about 45 mins but then I also know right where they are... :)

I will of course forewarn you bring a dry change of clothes and shoes, its best to wear pants. and ALWAYS! ALWAYS! check the weather... if it is raining or has been raining in the last 24 hours before doing this series DO NOT ATTEMPT Them... they are in a Storm Drain! (not a sewer like some of the posts say)

There are virts in Disneyland?

I don't know what's available in Disneyland but I know there are some virtual caches in Disneyworld in Orlando. I'm going to be there for a week starting at the end of the month and already checked it out. Since I'm staying at one of the Disney resorts with transfers to/from the airport I most likely won't have the opportunity to do any caching outside the resort.

A friend of mine recently moved to the house where the woman who was voice of Snow White used to live.

I work with a woman that used to work at Disneyworld. Her job? Tinkerbell. A few years ago she was on the same business as I in Zambia. When we were visiting Victoria Falls she got all excited about the zip line rides one could ride into the Zambezi river gorge. Then I remembered, she used to do that five days a week.

Although it depends a lot on the scare factor of those doing it... when in a large party they seem to move through them a lot faster... (less "fear" of the unknown) the bravest of the cachers it took them an hour and 15 mins...

I will of course forewarn you bring a dry change of clothes and shoes, its best to wear pants. and ALWAYS! ALWAYS! check the weather... if it is raining or has been raining in the last 24 hours before doing this series DO NOT ATTEMPT Them... they are in a Storm Drain! (not a sewer like some of the posts say)

I'll keep them in mind for sure, thanks for the point in that direction. Not sure how I can cinvince the wife to handle the kids without me for two hours just to hunt for one cache, but we'll see...

Any others?

Not sure how I can cinvince the wife to handle the kids without me for two hours just to hunt for one cache, but we'll see..

Hmmmmm, let us know how that part of the equation works out. Roses, chocolates and dinner might give you some leverage. LOL

Aside from the virtuals at Disneyland and Cali Adventure, an individual cache that stands out is The Enchanted Cottage. For the best experience go as late at night as possible.

In my last trip to Disney/DCA, I took my bike and did a 10-mile or so loop to Anaheim Stadium and up and down the Santa Ana River trail. That really elevated my caching experience 'cause too many of the urban caches around Disneyland are on private property and/or in muggle-concentrated areas, e.g. parking lots. Some cachers really enjoy those; I can only tolerate so many.

Another area I've enjoyed is a few miles north, at Hiltscher Park. There are some nice hiking trails there and a nice string of caches. I suffered a couple of DNFs there I want to avenge some time in the future. I generally place DNFs on my ignore list, but a few, like these, are worth avenging because of the location and/or perceived quality hide.

Hope you have fun...