oldest geocache east of the mississippi river

bbills10

Ah, yes, the urban legend about The Spot being the oldest cache East of the Mississippi. This comes from the fact that the cache page for The Spot for years said "I decided it was time to get a GPS Hunt stash located east of the Missisippi". It has at some point (seeing as the owner is still active, and maintains the cache) been ammended to say "in the eastern United States". Because Beverly in Illininois is indeed east of the Mississippi. And is indeed the first cache east of the Mississippi.

Ah, yes, the urban legend about The Spot being the oldest cache East of the Mississippi. This comes from the fact that the cache page for The Spot for years said "I decided it was time to get a GPS Hunt stash located east of the Missisippi". It has at some point (seeing as the owner is still active, and maintains the cache) been ammended to say "in the eastern United States". Because Beverly in Illininois is indeed east of the Mississippi. And is indeed the first cache east of the Mississippi.
That would be a "legend", not an "urban legend". There is a big difference.

Sorry... pet peeve.

Edited by knowschad

Sorry... pet peeve.

Don't pet peeves. Some of them bite.

Hi, bbills10! My husband (also a Bills fan) and I met you at the ASP bash and I'm afraid that I perpetuated the legend at that time. Until just now, I thought it was true. Now I'm a bit bummed. The Spot is way closer than Beverly to me. Oh well...

Well, The Spot is in Bills Country after all. And it is in a rural location, not urban. So I'll rescind the Urban legend, and agree with legend. :unsure:

I've found both Beverly and The Spot. Beverly IS east of the Mississippi and it IS older than The Spot. But finding The Spot is a much cooler experience.

I haven't been to Beverly, but The Spot is a wonderful caching experience. We went in the fall, and the location, view, hike, etc were all top-notch. A great "old-school" cache experience. Highly recommended!

Sorry... pet peeve.

What would be the big difference :unsure:

Here is a list of the first 100 geocaches showing their status. I can't attest to it's accuracy.

http://members.cox.net/pkpublic/

The only inaccuracy I know of on that oft-linked list is that the first cache in Pennsylvania, State Gamelands #109 is not listed, as it was not posted on the then brand new Geocaching.com website until four months after it was placed on 9/21/2000.

I seem to recall that there were almost 100 or so staches in place before the geocaching.com site started listing and assigning GC numbers. The Spot is only a week newer than Beverly and only a couple of weeks newer than Mingo. Since that page listings were created after the caches were actually placed I wonder just how accurate the "Hidden" date is. The GC numbers are certainly out of order on some of the earliest. According to the site listed above, The Spot (GC39) was hidden 05-26-2000 and an archived called called Columbia River Stash was hidden 06-11-2000 and is GC9.

The logs on GC9 are interesting. There are only two; the first, a note posted by Jeremy on Sept. 6, 2000 relaying a message from the CO that it been muggled. The second was posted by someone July 30, 2010 as a find with a log "I think I probably found it". It sort of looks like the listing was created as a placeholder even though the cache wasn't available at the time the geocahing.com site stated publishing listings. Does anyone know the exact date that the geocaching.com site went live and was available to log caches?

Does anyone know the exact date that the geocaching.com site went live and was available to log caches?

I believe it was September 2, 2000 - at least, that's when the announcement was made. It may have been live in the days beforehand.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsstash/message/395

September 2, 2000 works for me.

It's too bad that pocket queries impose a distance limit when searching for caches I was hoping that I could query for every active active with a hidden date prior to Sept. 2, 2000 but it imposes a maximum distance of 500 miles so I only got 3 hits when searching using my home coordinates.

I noticed another interesting bit about the GC9 cache. It has a difficulty rating of 0.

September 2, 2000 works for me.

It's too bad that pocket queries impose a distance limit when searching for caches I was hoping that I could query for every active active with a hidden date prior to Sept. 2, 2000 but it imposes a maximum distance of 500 miles so I only got 3 hits when searching using my home coordinates.

I noticed another interesting bit about the GC9 cache. It has a difficulty rating of 0.

Try this trick. Instead of picking an origin point, go to the "Within" box (just above the "From Origin" box) and click the radio button for "States / Provinces". Then select every entry on the list (easiest way is to click the first entry and then shift-click the last entry). That query should return every cache that's in one of the territories on that list in your date range, regardless of distance.

You can do the same thing clicking "Countries" instead of "States / Provinces".

There is some overlap. The United States isn't listed in the "Countries" list, but (for example) Canada is, so a cache hidden in British Columbia will show up under the "States / Provinces" for BC and under "Countries" for Canada.

Those two queries together should return what you want. I show 31 hits for "States / Provinces", although at least one of them has a false date. And I got 8 returns for "Countries". (Some caches are on both lists.)