What kind of caches do you like

dscotty55

with all of the ''what kind of cacher are you'' forums out there I thought that it would be cool if there was a forum where its about what kind of caches you like. so post the d/t and the type and maybe a little bit about the area.

my favorite would be a multi 3/4 in grand cacnyon

Edited by dscotty55

with all of the ''what kind of cacher are you'' forums out there I thought that it would be cool if there was a forum where its about what kind of caches you like. so post the d/t and the type and maybe a little bit about the area.

I like the caches that take me to new and interesting places, and are easy to find. Some people really like clever hides and relish making the difficult find. I am not one of those :( I actually don't like the searching for cache part much, which is why I filter out difficulty levels above 2.5, and no micros or nanos.

My all time favourite cache was http://coord.info/GCWJNG. Its a 10 stage puzzle cache that took me on a tour of Mons Belgium. The find itself was a micro (this was before I started to filter them out), but the highlight was the adventure through a small European town. Another thing that made this particular cache memorable is that when I made the find I heard meowing... looking around I finally found the source. It was a kitten stuck in a tree, about 9ft up. It took me a good 20 minutes to get the kitten to trust me enough for him to climb down to a lower branch so I could lift him down to the ground safely. It was a cool ending to an awesome cache.

My favorite caches are the ones that are rated high terrain. The higher the climb the better! I have only been able to snag a few, seeing as how I do not own a car or other means of transportation at this time, so most of my caching has to be done with someone else, who for the most part, don't enjoy extreme climbs or hikes. :(

But trust me, once I save enough for a car with 4 wheels that runs, I will be out doing more extreme caches!

I love circluar routes through picturesque places - especially if there is some historical value - luckily living in the UK you can't move without learning something new historically - it's great for the kids. They get out for the exercise and are learning at the same time. We do like high terrain ratings too - being climbers we like the crags.

I prefer caches that are creatively hidden and/or take me somewhere I have not been especially if they show me something interesting. I also enjoy most puzzle caches.

I do also have a soft spot for ammo cans behind trees.

Not personally a fan of nanos (logs are a PITA to remove & replace), LPCs (lifting skirts is noisy and suspicious), or puzzle caches that require codebreaking (never interested me).

For me, it is primarily about the journey and the location. So if it is a nice walk and a scenic/interesting place, I’m happy – especially if it is an easy find! I like higher terrain caches (though not extreme!).

I appreciate creative hides, those are a bonus… but not necessary for me to enjoy it. I prefer larger boxes to micros, but again it’s not very important to me compared to the journey/location.

I also enjoy puzzle caches (if I can solve them!).

I don’t like “needle in a haytstack” type hides, and especially micros in the woods with little or no hint.

My favorite is the ones I find. :)

Which was probably intended to be a joke, but I think it's a brilliant observation. I like regulars in the woods, that I'm probably going to find once I arrive on site. The way 90%+ of them were when I started in 2003.

Actually no, it is not a joke. Probably the least liked is a LPC or GRC, but I do them and mostly happy one was there to do. Sure ammo cans in the woods is high on the list, but then so is a well done urban micro or one with a cleaver camo. Virts that bring me to neat places or earthcaches at neat place where I learn something are fun. So it really boils down to the ones I find are the ones I like. As some one else in this thread has said, I'm not particularly fussy.

My favorites so far are ones where the CO's put some thought into the container, and didn't just grab the first thing they saw in the garbage can, cleaned it out and hid in a bush.

I kind of like well hidden urban micros, where the cache is disguised like a bolt, ect. I also found a cache in deep bush, that was built out of 2X4's and had a solar light on top for night caching.

The ones I dislike the most are micros/smalls hidden in trees, or ones in urban settings where the hide is in a bush in front of a business. Nothing makes you look more suspicious then digging around in a bush in front of a bank. I usually keep driving when I spot these.

I have a couple of DNFs that were among my favorite days caching. If the cache took me to a particularly cool location or involved a challenging hike through an interesting area to get to, then I had fun even if I didn't find the cache.

Just this past Saturday I had such an experience. I went caching is an area of Los Angeles that I had never been to before despite living my whole life in the city. The winding narrow streets in the area were really tough to navigate. The undeveloped canyon that is now a park where two of the caches were hidden was a wonderful place to find amid the large homes on the hilltops and the unique architecture of some of the homes in other canyons nearby. The other cache was on a fire road from the end of a narrow residential street that lead to a spectacular view of the downtown skyline (I should have submitted it as a Cityscape waymark) and other parts of the city. Despite 3 DNFs, I had a good time.

I have a couple of DNFs that were among my favorite days caching. If the cache took me to a particularly cool location or involved a challenging hike through an interesting area to get to, then I had fun even if I didn't find the cache.

I had a DNF on a cache in Maine where I even sent the CO email thanking him for placing a cache in that particular spot, even though it wasn't there when I searched for it. It had gone missing, and was disabled, between the time I made the PQ and when I went to search for it (about 4 days). Unfortunately, it never was replaced and was archived by the time I got back to that spot a year later.

I'm a little bit of everything, I really enjoy finding cool location. And another part of me REALLY enjoys well done, creative, camo. No matter what the size, I enjoy seeing quality craftsmanship invested into a cache. Especially those ones that are right in front of you and it may take several visits. But once you finally do find them it feels SO good. When I first started I hated those, I used to ask myself "is this guy trying to hide it from Geocachers, or muggles?!" But I've come to really love the hard, creative hides.

Ones I do NOT like are the needle in a haystack hides. Nothing feels like a bigger waste of time than going to a drainage ditch with thousands of small to medium size rocks looking for a micro container glued to the bottom of one of the rocks. On par with these, and equally hated by me are micro hanging bush hides.... Seriously, the BEST you can come up with is hanging a small bison tube on a random branch of a huge bush?!

Or this one.. a nano set deep in one of the cracks. THAT one was interesting:

94375f40-36b7-43f5-adb9-c581fa34ff1f.jpg

Edited by Dragery

mountain hides. 3/3s or better, caches with cool camo or cool hide ideas.

what i hate: 99999999999999 rocks hides or micros in dense cover.