Illegaly placed caches?

sdrawkcab

Not sure how to go about reporting caches that are placed in Private and or a Gated Commuity. There are 3 that have been recently placed on the north west side of Fort Worth Texas. Here are links to the Caches. I will post them I know that the Reviewers hang out here.

http://coord.info/GC2B1Y3

http://coord.info/GC2BC96

http://coord.info/GC2CZ87

Should I email the reviewer personaly or will this post be enough?

Thanks ....

Not sure how to go about reporting caches that are placed in Private and or a Gated Commuity. There are 3 that have been recently placed on the north west side of Fort Worth Texas. Here are links to the Caches. I will post them I know that the Reviewers hang out here.

Thanks ....

Was thinking about that.... But was going to listen to the fourm on there humble opinion,,, :(

Why don't you send a polite email to the owner of the cache first? He may not be aware it's private, although it looks like the word is out on two of them via the logs.

I was thinking that it might be the same person... The two that we went and found were simply glad ware boxes with a single sheet of notebook paper. On the paper was "Rite you name here" in a colored marker.

Looks like a child placed them.

Could be the cache placer is a member of the community and is inviting you in to hunt them. At that point you would be his/her guest and the cache would not be an illegal placement.

Of course it would be nice if that was stated on the cache page.

As for the first two I think a child placed them.... I don't think a minor child would be able to offer such an invation.

Could be the cache placer is a member of the community and is inviting you in to hunt them. At that point you would be his/her guest and the cache would not be an illegal placement.

Good point, but the log in GC2BC96 seems to indicate that, at least for this cache, this is not the case.

August 4 by Woody Graham

Sorry guys this one is on private property which you have to cross a golf course again

private property, Big hide said it was a park.IT not a park !

Golf ball kill!!!! I have been trying to keep any one but golfer off sorry.

i have been cashing a long time and never gone where it was not public

Thanks

Golf cousre guy and property owner

Not sure thats a invation.

As for the first two I think a child placed them.... I don't think a minor child would be able to offer such an invation.

Thanks ....

The latest note for GC2CZ87.

August 10 by christian96 (8 found)

If you're having trouble getting in, follow another car. There's plenty of time for you to get in as well.

I think a NA is called for here.

Before I even read all the responses, I looked at the cache pages, and all three screamed "bad newbie kids hides" to me. :( I've seen some doozies placed by unsupervised middle schoolers in the past. As others have said, you can email the reviewer privately, or post an SBA. But discussing them here will probably do nothing.

Before I even read all the responses, I looked at the cache pages, and all three screamed "bad newbie kids hides" to me. :lol: I've seen some doozies placed by unsupervised middle schoolers in the past. As others have said, you can email the reviewer privately, or post an SBA. But discussing them here will probably do nothing.

No kidding!!! :(

Cache owner: "Ok. Some one has tooken the green box. But I got a gray box and hid it agin about 11 feet

up in the tree."

Finder: "FTF with CP Stew. This will not last long - the container is not weatherproof, but thanks for the cache."

Cache owner: "This was my first hide and it was the first place that came to mind. This box is still a water proof box so far this box hasnt ever fallen out of the the two weeks it has been there.And this couchwhat ever juy is a critick. I mean it seams like the only thing that would please him is to hide it under a wetty out fit plus it was my first hide."

Just post a NA and move on.

That's a little overkill, and frankly I get tired of hearing this presented as solution number one for such a variety of issues. It very well could be that the Cache publication serves as an invitation to be a guest of a resident that lives there, as was the case with one that I searched for in the CA foothills. One of the Home Owners hid the Cache in a private park, and the public page was an invitation.

Edit for Typos

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Sigh.

These caches are embarrassing, seriously. Are they children? Or are they trolls? One registered on aug 5 and has 2 hides, can't write a lick of coherent English, and engages banter on the actual cache page. Plus, one was rated a 5/4.

Personally, more trolls will just sign up for a new acct and hide stupid caches and act stupid there. Because we have no rules on when a new member can place a cache, I believe that this will continue to happen...

It depends. Some streets in these places are really public right of ways.

This was the case in a neighborhood i lived in once, it had gates and stuff with the rfid tags, but you didnt need anything to get in.

True to an extent. I live in a private community. It is not gated but it is patrolled. The roads are public rights of way. Get out of your car and walk then you are trespassing.

There are so many great places to hide caches where I live that it is frustrating. I'd love to bring people here, but there is a good chance that they would be confronted. I can't simply hide a cache and say that the searchers are my guest. The rules say I have to accompany any guest.

Though the rules vary within private communities, most have rules that regulate access by outsiders. Get permission from the community board and you are golden.

Just post a NA and move on.

That's a little overkill, and frankly I get tired of hearing this presented as solution number one for such a variety of issues. It very well could be that the Cache publication serves as an invitation to be a guest of a resident that lives there, as was the case with one that I searched for in the CA foothills. One of the Home Owners hid the Cache in a private park, and the public page was an invitation.

Edit for Typos

Did you have to sneak around the guards? I think that alone is very telling.

I would think that a community with a gate that involves someone waiting for another car to get there and then following them in is not a public right of way. My mother lives in a gated community, and I know for a fact that the gate is there to keep people OUT. They even change the passcode every few months.

I would think that a community with a gate that involves someone waiting for another car to get there and then following them in is not a public right of way. My mother lives in a gated community, and I know for a fact that the gate is there to keep people OUT. They even change the passcode every few months.

Yep... I should know when I was working in construction of really really fancy home. 1.5 M or more. A few of people that live there are famous and dont want people nosy around. I been deny in the past and have to call up my boss for a new set of passcode!

Just post a NA and move on..

..or perhaps the OP posted the cache info, so that they could entice worldwide couch potato NA loggers to do the dirty work? :(:D

I cant understand why posting a NA is "unethical" if you live in the same area as the CO but its "okay" to get someone from the other side of the country to post a NA for ya. :lol::lol::(:D

Edited by SwineFlew

Sigh.

These caches are embarrassing, seriously. Are they children? Or are they trolls? One registered on aug 5 and has 2 hides, can't write a lick of coherent English, and engages banter on the actual cache page. Plus, one was rated a 5/4.

Personally, more trolls will just sign up for a new acct and hide stupid caches and act stupid there. Because we have no rules on when a new member can place a cache, I believe that this will continue to happen...

Uncanny, my thoughts exactly when I read the cache pages. Beginning to see similar things happen here in the UK, not necessarily kids but completely new people, been members for a week and put a couple of caches out. No point to the locations, sandwich boxes that aren't waterproof, one line cache descriptions, hides in dry stone walls, dodgy coordinates and thinly veiled complaints from the first few finders.

Bet that they will have given up in a month or so and their 'caches' will be left to rot and become litter.

Have even notices caches that are archived within a couple of weeks due to being placed in an 'illegal' location or muggled within a few days because they are just not hidden well enough.

Easy to spot these when you update GSAK every week and skim out the archived caches, some that were only placed a few weeks ago. Reading the logs and notes often tells a very interesting, and sad story.

I can only see things getting worse and GS may have to introduce some kind of control whereby people have to have found a number of caches before getting one published. I know people don't like that idea and it will never solve all the problems (there are caches out there not being maintained by cachers with several hundred finds to their names).

But it might stop the problem of over enthusiastic noobs who get caught up in the inistial excitement and are keen to see people coming out to find THEIR cache without giving any consideration at all to location, container, contents or maintenance.

Lovejoy

[EDITED by moderator to remove potty language. Avoid potty language.]

Edited by Keystone

Guess all of us where I live will have to pack up and move to a more cache dense area to get some numbers and move back so we're allowed to place caches.

You have found over 100 in 4 months, not bad going :(

I would think a limit in the tens rather than the hundreds would be ok. Or a time period.

I know this topic comes up frequently and is hotly debated.

Just don't know what else can be done if the site does start to get 'polluted' with the kind of caches highlighted in this thread.

Lovejoy & Tinker

I can only see things getting worse and GS may have to introduce some kind of control whereby people have to have found a number of caches before getting one published. I know people don't like that idea and it will never solve all the problems (there are caches out there not being maintained by cachers with several hundred finds to their names).

But it might stop the problem of over enthusiastic noobs who get caught up in the inistial excitement and are keen to see people coming out to find THEIR cache without giving any consideration at all to location, container, contents or maintenance.

I understand your thought process on this and agree in part. But, I am a weekend cacher with a limited range and time limit because where I go my wife and kids go. I usually get little or no ME time outside of the house. Thus, I have very few finds. Most of the time behind the computer when not working I am educating myself by reading and interacting in the forums or researching a hide or two within my area, working up the html code for the page, prepping the containers and swag, and then determining when I can place when it coincides with my schedule.

But also, that's me...

If there had been a restriction on hides when I started a little over a year ago I probably would have lost interest. but then, again, I have a semi-unique situation. </my 2 cents>

You have found over 100 in 4 months, not bad going biggrin.gif

I would think a limit in the tens rather than the hundreds would be ok. Or a time period.

I know this topic comes up frequently and is hotly debated.

Just don't know what else can be done if the site does start to get 'polluted' with the kind of caches highlighted in this thread.

I've had to travel pretty far from my home base to do it which hasn't been cheap. Basically the less saturated areas to get any numbers you have to have the ability to pay to drive to caches (financially and monetarily). Then to say you have to log online... that makes less cache dense areas kind of a dead zone because no one can place a cache or just handful of the people who have the requisite number of finds can place them. I can say from experience where I am just because someone has a lot of finds does not make them a responsible cache owner at all.

If there had been a restriction on hides when I started a little over a year ago I probably would have lost interest. but then, again, I have a semi-unique situation. </my 2 cents>

But in your case you had been a member for around 3 months before you placed your first cache?

(And the ones you have placed look pretty well put together)

I'm only suggesting something to prevent this "join on Thursday, throw a box in a tree on Monday" problem.

Maybe it needs something that is a combination of finds, length of membership and quality of the cache page. But that would make the reviewers job very tricky :lol:

As I say, it's not an original thought, I have seen it discussed plenty of times here, and there are clearly many sides to the argument.

I don't know the answer as however it is controlled some genuine people are going to be delayed or prevented from placing their 1st cache and some of the 'idiots' are going to slip through the net.

While the people who put no care or thought into their hides are in the tiny minority and we can just ignore those hides that's fine. But if it becomes endemic (is that the right word?) I can't help thinking it will spoil the sport for everyone and GS will be pressured to act.

Maybe it's just because it's the Summer holidays and there are some kids getting bored. It's our first summer caching so maybe we just haven't seen this kind of activity before.

I just remember being very apprehensive about our first hide and took a LOT of help and guidance from some more experienced cachers before placing it. They kindly put the box together for us and helped us a lot, as we were so keen that it should not be a rubbish cache.

Am I proud of it now? Not really - the box is fine, the hide is good but the location is not great - nothing special. Will probably archive it and move it at the end of the Summer tourist season.

Our next four hides (a small series and a puzzle) I am much happier with as they are in good locations, tell a bit of history of the place, have a bit of a running theme and are the sort of caches I would enjoy doing.

But that's what time brings, a bit of experience and understanding as to what the game's all about.

And it's not about chucking a box in a tree in a location where people might feel they shouldn't be just because you can.

In my opinion. :lol:

If we are ever down your way we'll come and find some of your caches, but that would have to be a VERY long weekend :(

Cheers

I've had to travel pretty far from my home base to do it which hasn't been cheap. Basically the less saturated areas to get any numbers you have to have the ability to pay to drive to caches (financially and monetarily).

Any sport involves some kind of expense - equipment, travelling, membership of a club whatever. Obviously appreciate that distance is a bigger issue over there than it is over here.

You've got me struggling with the difference between financially and monetarily :(

Then to say you have to log online... that makes less cache dense areas kind of a dead zone because no one can place a cache or just handful of the people who have the requisite number of finds can place them.

Not sure what you mean by "Then to say you have to log online... ".

But if your area is a 'dead zone' at the moment, and there are other cachers than yourself living in the area, then perhaps that's because no one wants to put any out? I mean, there are no such restrictions in place at the moment, anyone can place a cache, so if no one has placed any then it can only be because they don't want to. Will you or they suddenly want to IF restrictions are introduced?

I can say from experience where I am just because someone has a lot of finds does not make them a responsible cache owner at all.

Oh I couldn't agree with you more. There are some near me that have just been abandoned by people with a large find count and have been members for a long while.

All I am saying is a lot of the prematurely archived caches I have been noticing recently have been set by people who joined weeks or days ago (not months, not years) and have found less than 20 caches.

Maybe it's not a trend and maybe it's not anything to be worried about.

I don't think it is time right now to set any restrictions, what I am saying is if the sport starts to get spoiled then it may be necessary to act...

Edited by Lovejoy & Tinker

i like that the FTF hounds still went out ... and back...

trying like hell to get to the caches. they found a way to get to the one on the golf course, but the gate stopped them at the second - at least twice.

restricted access should not be a reason for a cache to be "illegal" or against the rules. there are a couple that i can think of that not just anyone can get to.... and they still have listings.

trying like hell to get to the caches. they found a way to get to the one on the golf course, but the gate stopped them at the second - at least twice.

restricted access should not be a reason for a cache to be "illegal" or against the rules. there are a couple that i can think of that not just anyone can get to.... and they still have listings.

People live in restricted access communities because that want to have a degree of control over who and when people enter their community.

I find it very difficult to believe that such a community would knowingly allow access to total strangers because someone, even a property owner, hid a cache container there and listed the location of that container on a web site.

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt it.

People live in restricted access communities because that want to have a degree of control over who and when people enter their community.

I find it very difficult to believe that such a community would knowingly allow access to total strangers because someone, even a property owner, hid a cache container there and listed the location of that container on a web site.

who says just because there is a cache in place YOU (or other non-residents) need to be in there looking for it? look at it as another form of "premium only" cache. there could be multiple geocachers in that neighborhood. i know of at least 4 in mine. geocachers gotta live somewhere.

Regardless of the fact that you are surprisingly not used to being wrong, people who live in gated communities are allowed to invite others to enter for all manner of reasons and don't generally feel the need to run it by their neighbors before they do so.

who says just because there is a cache in place YOU (or other non-residents) need to be in there looking for it? look at it as another form of "premium only" cache. there could be multiple geocachers in that neighborhood. i know of at least 4 in mine. geocachers gotta live somewhere.

that is true but only if the cache description clearly indicates that is in such restricted place, which the ones in question here fail to mention

people need to know ahead of time not find out after they drove there, in most cases they will still go in

This is an interesting point. I do not see anything in the guidelines which prohibits placing of a cache within a gated community - even if that means that only residents and invited guests can retrieve it. But as a finder - while I will check, and turn away if I have doubts about legally accessing a location - I expect caches to be generally available to all. At the very least it should be clear on the cache page.

Regardless of the fact that you are surprisingly not used to being wrong, people who live in gated communities are allowed to invite others to enter for all manner of reasons and don't generally feel the need to run it by their neighbors before they do so.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if I find myself looking for a cache in a gated community and there's not some really specific information on the cache page I'll just avoid it, add it to the ignore list and move on. Too much potential for drama.

Even if it would be okay for me to be there I don't want some neighbor calling the cops and/or yelling at me. I don't care if he's wrong or right I just don't want to deal with with either when I'm caching with my wife and kids.

Should people really be placing caches in gated communities? Maybe it's not specifically against the rules but it does seem to go against the spirit of the thing.

Hey I know, there is a house that I saw not too long ago when I was running in a 5k that had really sweet looking pitbulls chained up in the mostly dirt back yard. Maybe I could place a cache in one of those trees. If the dogs don't get you the drug dealers will.

We could probably find these in a lot of urban areas, maybe call them the Adrenaline Series.

as a side note if you get any ideas about piggy backing into a gated community - don't

A friend of mine lives in a gated community and someone tried flying through the gate behind her once and got his car slammed in gate. Naturally he blamed...her, sure why not. He accused her of driving through too slowly causing his car to get damaged.

Sometimes I just love people. :(

Though rules vary from community to community, you are generally correct. There are several gated communities in my town, my parents live in a gated community and I have a number of other friends and relatives who live (or lived) in gated communities. I live in a private, though ungated community.

In every one that I'm aware of you are certainly free to invite whomever you want to your home, but you can't just issue a standing invite for them to use the pool, tennis courts, jogging paths and other community areas at their leisure. Guests using community areas usually need to be accompanied by a member/property owner.

Who knows, the communities where these caches are hidden may be the exception. But if they were I doubt the CO would have to suggest ways to sneak in.

[

Guess all of us where I live will have to pack up and move to a more cache dense area to get some numbers and move back so we're allowed to place caches.

Actually, I'd rather it be a time restriction than by finds. People can lie about finds...

Making people wait may prevent bad caches and trolls from placing bad caches. And if anyone can't play our sport because they can't wait a few months then oh well.

We placed our first hide on a hike that we loved. It was 5 weeks after we became members and it was a blinky nano. After caching a bit longer we realized we hated nanos. Hated them! But I didn't know better... After we cached a bit longer we changed out the nano into something better.

So the small wait time-say 3 months, would have helped me.

As it is, I have never seen a good hide from a brand new member.

Should people really be placing caches in gated communities? Maybe it's not specifically against the rules but it does seem to go against the spirit of the thing.

If an ordinary person off the street doesn't have permission to be there, it's tresspassing, and a cache should not be hidden there. Exceptions have been made, such as military bases in Iraq, but I don't think a random gated community qualifies.

I fully support people that want to take risks, adrenaline junkies, etc., however, no cache should ever require you to break a law.

as a side note if you get any ideas about piggy backing into a gated community - don't

A friend of mine lives in a gated community and someone tried flying through the gate behind her once and got his car slammed in gate. Naturally he blamed...her, sure why not. He accused her of driving through too slowly causing his car to get damaged.

Sometimes I just love people. :)

I can back this up. I work for a company that installs gate, camera, and access systems for gated communities. Most have cameras, if they review the recordings and have proof that your car got damaged because you tailgated (the term used for following another car in without using your own access card) you will not get 1 cent out of the community for your damages. I've seen pics of some very expensive cars with very nasty paint and body damage and the owner was out of pocket on that.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if I find myself looking for a cache in a gated community and there's not some really specific information on the cache page I'll just avoid it, add it to the ignore list and move on. Too much potential for drama.

Even if it would be okay for me to be there I don't want some neighbor calling the cops and/or yelling at me. I don't care if he's wrong or right I just don't want to deal with with either when I'm caching with my wife and kids.

I agree with you. To me, these caches are little different than 'front yard' caches and are quickly placed on my ignore list.

If an ordinary person off the street doesn't have permission to be there, it's tresspassing, and a cache should not be hidden there. Exceptions have been made, such as military bases in Iraq, but I don't think a random gated community qualifies.

I fully support people that want to take risks, adrenaline junkies, etc., however, no cache should ever require you to break a law.

Your argument hinges on whether permission was granted. (Actually, I think that it might hinge on whether permission was believed to be granted, but that's for a lawyer to argue.)