What's the Best Thing You Left Behind In a Cache?

Snoogans

Well? :(

We get a what did you find thread at least once a month. I figured I'd look at the other side of the coin.

What did/do you leave in a cache(s) worth mentioning? :(

Optional additional answers:

Why did/do you leave it? :D

Did you watch the logs to see if it was mentioned after your visit? :lol:

Were you disappointed if it wasn't mentioned the way you thought it would be or wasn't mentioned at all? :lol:

(I will answer these questions just as soon as I get a spare minute. I've gotta do some digging.)

Edited by Snoogans

I left automotive outside thermometer with a road ice warning. I received it as a gift and didn't want to deal with installing it. Saw it in catalogs for around $60. I really didn't pay attention to whether it was taken or not. It's been a few years so I'm sure its gone by now.

Next to that was Camelbak knockoff hydration day pack. Received it as a gift and I already have enough packs to choke a quahog so I wrapped it in a plastic bag and left it outside the cache as a FTF prize. I've seen similar items in Target and Walmart for about $40. The FTF seemed grateful.

Then there was the Petzel Tikka headlamp. They run about $30. It was the seed item in a cache idea I stole from someone else where the cache would only have one fairly expensive item ($10 value and up) and the idea was to take it and leave another fairly expensive item and mention the trade in the log. The cache eventually wound up with a Garmin GPS and nobody would take it because they didn't have an even trade along. I had to urge the next to find to take it and not worry about leaving a $100 item in return, something in the $10 range was more than sufficient.

Not so long ago I left a hand made mini wooden violin in a cache (I didn't make it and was playable). I took nothing but left that as the cache was large and not too many I hunt can hold such an item.

I tried to keep up with the online logs to see if anyone traded it out but gave up.

It was worth about $100 but I had no use or need for it.

Someone had to have taken it because it took up a lot of space in that cache.

I would have liked to read that someone had taken it and appreciated it but meh... I'm not too much of a control freak.

It wont stop me from leaving good things in caches!

We've left some pretty nice tools that we had duplicates of, screw driver sets, and I think a ratchet set. We also left some really cool model semi-trucks in our large cache, which the grandsons of a cacher really loved.

I think the best objects though were a really neat watch that my husband couldn't wear for some reason. It had a calculator and all kinds of neat tools. I've also left hand-made jewelry. (I make beaded earrings).

Back in 2002 I left a Pentium 3 processor in a cache (about $110 at the time) - cache was muggled before anybody took it.

I left a brand new Palm device in a cache back in 2003 worth about $75 - (given to me as a gift). It was taken a few weeks later and the guy traded a $40 gift certificate for it.

Sometime around 2004, I left a $25 timex watch in a cache in exchange for a $25 steak certificate. I have actually left a few of those $25 watches for very nice items.

There have been a few $10 - $15 items over the years as well.

What did/do you leave in a cache(s) worth mentioning?

I left a 1700 year old Roman coin once. I hand cleaned it myself and it came out pretty good. It had a nice picture of Constantine on the front and a Roman warrior on the back.

Optional additional answers:

Why did/do you leave it?

I thought that was pretty cool, I left it as a FTF prize.

Did you watch the logs to see if it was mentioned after your visit?

Yes

Were you disappointed if it wasn't mentioned the way you thought it would be or wasn't mentioned at all?

The finder mentioned he picked it up.

Edited by Rich the Bushwhacker

Wow, some really nice items. Are these strictly for FTF?

I will most definitely carry a couple valuable items with me. I have some nice bike tools I have won at races I am sure somebody would enjoy. Duplicates for me. I am guessing it's okay to leave something way nicer than the item you took?

I used to have a bunch of pocket screw drivers to leave but my supply is gone. Now I leave Republican National Committee Papers Pro- Abortion Business Cards Along with Communist Propaganda with to tick off every one! :unsure: No really All I take or leave now is Wears George $, TB,s and Geocoins

I just started leaving my sig item which is handmade by me. It is a key chain made of deer antler and I braided the rope part of it. To see a picture of it look to the left. Everyone that sees them says they want one. I never thought of watching the caches to see if anyone says anything about picking one of them up. I'll have to do that now. Besides I need to make more of them.

I also have left some really neat glass sculptures that I got at the dollar store when they were going out of business. They were laser etched on the inside and really look cool.

Edited by BigAl437