More than 1000 caches in a GPX

Boraxx

Is there a way (as a member) to obtain more than 1000 caches in a GPX file?

Or is this a manual task?

PQ's are limited to 1,000 except for the MyFinds PQ which is limited to your find count.

There are ways to create GPX files outside the PQ system.

Yes, a GPX file can have more than 1000 caches (GPX is a file format specification, nothing more) - the question is whether the consumer of the GPX file can handle that many.

My Garmin holds 5000 geocaches, so that should not be a problem.

I havent installed GSAK yet, though downloaded it to review today.

Main reason why I asked is when I create multiple queries, I get multiple GPX files, which overlap, so I get a multitude of similar caches.

Will try out the GSAK, though any tips would be appreciated :(

Many thanks

Main reason why I asked is when I create multiple queries, I get multiple GPX files, which overlap, so I get a multitude of similar caches.

the usual solution to this is to not create multiple PQs for different areas, but to create multiple PQs for the same area and split up the results using the "date hidden" PQ criterium. this way you can avoid overlaps.

My gpsr (Colorado) handles duplicate geocaches if the pqs overlaps. But all the same, I usually use GSAK to merge the gpx files and then export a new gpx file straight into the unit. GSAK will handle the duplicates and it allows me to play around with the pq in some other ways -- adding the real coordinates to puzzle caches, deleting caches that are just taking up room, and the like.

Edited by mulvaney

PQ's are limited to 1,000 except for the MyFinds PQ which is limited to your find count.

I thought PQs were limited to 500?

GSAK rules btw - very nice to have multiple databases and load via a single macro.

Edited by somegeek

GSAK rules btw - very nice to have multiple databases and load via a single macro.

PQ have been upgraded to 1000 max back in may

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=243

Edited by t4e

Nice! Thanks.

My Garmin holds 5000 geocaches, so that should not be a problem.

I havent installed GSAK yet, though downloaded it to review today.

Will try out the GSAK, though any tips would be appreciated :)

Many thanks

GSAK is your best bet to combine GPX files. It automatically filters out duplicates if your PQs overlap.

Nice! Thanks.

Note that for PQs which have more then 500 waypoints, and for the "My Finds" special PQ you'll get an email message instead of the waypoints in GPX format (zipped, or not). There is a separate "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab that you have to use if in order to actually download the waypoints.

I don't mind PQ's which overlap as the Garmin Oregon evidently is smart enough to realize a cache is in there twice. I've pasted up to 10 GPX files with 500 caches, each, on the unit and never had an issue with overlap.

Ideally at some date there will be a way to select and area by setting points for a triangle or rectangle on a map (like Google Maps,) rather than the radiating from a single location.

I don't mind PQ's which overlap as the Garmin Oregon evidently is smart enough to realize a cache is in there twice. I've pasted up to 10 GPX files with 500 caches, each, on the unit and never had an issue with overlap.

Ideally at some date there will be a way to select and area by setting points for a triangle or rectangle on a map (like Google Maps,) rather than the radiating from a single location.

You can (sort of) do that by playing around with a mapping program and drawing a concentric geometric figure in the area you want to cover.

You can (sort of) do that by playing around with a mapping program and drawing a concentric geometric figure in the area you want to cover.

Yup. I could probably rig up something with the Google Maps API and a PHP script. Break whatever shape up into triangles and find all those coordinates which fall within them. But that would be me taking the work away from one of the lackeys. :)

Yup. I could probably rig up something with the Google Maps API and a PHP script. Break whatever shape up into triangles and find all those coordinates which fall within them. But that would be me taking the work away from one of the lackeys. :unsure:

I do that now with GSAK. For my area of standard travel, I set up a polygon in Streets and Trips and exported the points of that polygon using ST2GPX. If you're just doing a triangle or rectangle, it's just as easy to do it by writing down the coordinates. You can also use Google Earth and save the polygon as a KML file to create the polygon coordinates.

Once the polygon is was created, I used them to create a polygon filter in GSAK. Keep in mind that you have to "over-pull" the caches - more than the polygon - and then apply the filter. But it works.