Multi-Cache Regulations

AferVentus

Hi all,

So I'm thinking of doing a 5 or 6 stage multicache in my town, but there will only be 1 physical cache location. The rest will be interpreting signs, counting bolt heads, etc. and multiplying them by a number to get the coords for the next stage. I know that all caches must be over .1 miles from one another, but does this include this particular type of cache?

I don't want to go out and do all this work, only to have it denied because of proximity to another cache. (The final stage will be more than .1 miles away from the previous caches.)

Thanks!

Hi all,

So I'm thinking of doing a 5 or 6 stage multicache in my town, but there will only be 1 physical cache location. The rest will be interpreting signs, counting bolt heads, etc. and multiplying them by a number to get the coords for the next stage. I know that all caches must be over .1 miles from one another, but does this include this particular type of cache?

I don't want to go out and do all this work, only to have it denied because of proximity to another cache. (The final stage will be more than .1 miles away from the previous caches.)

Thanks!

Your idea describes a mystery cache, not a multicache IMO. You would have to ask others for a more experienced cacher's answer, but I have seen a very similar mystery cache in my area. Here's the GC#

GCMA03

The answer is in the guidelines you supposedly read ...

Cache Saturation

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

Counting bolt heads, interpreting signs, etc. are all examples of question to answer waypoints. Those have no limits and can be right next to a physical cache. For example you could require counting the letters on a street sign that has a keycase micro stuck on it.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Your idea describes a mystery cache, not a multicache IMO. You would have to ask others for a more experienced cacher's answer, but I have seen a very similar mystery cache in my area. Here's the GC#

GCMA03

I've seen several multi-caches like this that are listed as multi-caches.

Cache Saturation

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

Counting bolt heads, interpreting signs, etc. are all examples of question to answer waypoints. Those have no limits and can be right next to a physical cache. For example you could require counting the letters on a street sign that has a keycase micro stuck on it.

I just wanted to make sure, as the rules are constantly changing - I placed a stage for a multi last week that was a block from a school, and that was denied because of proximity to schools (which is understandable).

But thanks, all!

Hi all,

Thanks!

GCMA03

The guidelines for Multi caches found here, state in part (emphasis mine):

Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers never deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers or information using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

Cache Saturation

I just wanted to make sure, as the rules are constantly changing - I placed a stage for a multi last week that was a block from a school, and that was denied because of proximity to schools (which is understandable).

But thanks, all!

If the stages are "Question to Answer", then there isnt any proximity worries. If it is a physical stage, they can be near other stages of the same multi, but 529 feet from others.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
Your idea describes a mystery cache, not a multicache IMO

I placed one just like this that the reviewer said to make a multi since it went from place to place. Apparently Mystery's require that some brain work be done away from the actual site.

As was said before just make each stop a "Question to Answer" and the proximity rules are not invoked.

I placed one just like this that the reviewer said to make a multi since it went from place to place. Apparently Mystery's require that some brain work be done away from the actual site.

As was said before just make each stop a "Question to Answer" and the proximity rules are not invoked.

I agree, though I've seen them both ways, and there is some "grey area". Generally if the tasks/calculations at each stage are "straightforward", then multi is appropriate. If the tasks are more complex (even if they can be done at the site), then mystery/puzzle is more appropriate. E.g GC118C2. This one has multiple stages with virtual clues, but you then need to decipher the answer (which I did at the "site", but still it was a puzzle task).

And the standard of how difficult the calculations need to be to become a puzzle instead of a multi seems to vary per country/area/reviewer.

There is some overlap and there are caches where arguments can be made for placing a cache in either category. But generally speaking if there is something at the coordinates that provide the coordinates for the next stage it is a multi and if there is nothing at the coordinates it is a puzzle/mystery. Of course there are exceptions to both, but it is a general rule of thumb.

So if the posted coordinates take you to a sign and you have to use information on the sign to obtain the next set of coords it is a multi. If simple manipulation of the information or simple calculations are involved then it is still a multi. Throw in a riddle and you're probably looking at a puzzle.