Bug time

PioneerGal

I picked up a travel bug on with the intention of moving him a lot farther south and/or west over the 4th of July weekend. Unfortuneately, my plans fell through and I haven't made it to any caches (near or far) over the holiday.

My question is simply one of etiquette - how long do I hold on to him? Should I offer him to another cacher who I know is going out soon so that it is in ciruclation? How long is too long between pick up and drop off?

I know this is largely a matter of personal opinion and I would appreciate any feedback from veteran cachers that I receive.

Thanks.

Hey PG,

The best thing to do is email the owner, let them know your plans fell through and ask what they would like you to do. If you think you could get out in a week or two, they probably won't care, or they may ask you to pass it off or find the nearest cache to place it in. As long as you have open communication with them, they most likely won't care if you have it for a week or longer. I had one person hold on to one of my bugs for 3-4 weeks, but each week he kept me updated as to what happened. Snowstorm, work another weekend, etc. The ones that get to you are the finders who say they are going to place it in a cache very soon and then don't follow through and don't answer your emails. That same bug has now been in someones hands for over 2 months. icon_mad.gif Hope this helps.

Hey PG,

The best thing to do is email the owner, let them know your plans fell through and ask what they would like you to do. If you think you could get out in a week or two, they probably won't care, or they may ask you to pass it off or find the nearest cache to place it in. As long as you have open communication with them, they most likely won't care if you have it for a week or longer. I had one person hold on to one of my bugs for 3-4 weeks, but each week he kept me updated as to what happened. Snowstorm, work another weekend, etc. The ones that get to you are the finders who say they are going to place it in a cache very soon and then don't follow through and don't answer your emails. That same bug has now been in someones hands for over 2 months. icon_mad.gif Hope this helps.