New PDA or new GPS?

I cache with an eTrex Legend and have been for many years and I'm wanting to get into paperless caching. I have two options: get a gps that supports it or buy a pda.

What would be a better idea?

Depends. How much money do you want to spend? $400 or about $40-$50 (palm M500, cachemate and and SD card if your running win7 64-bit)?

If your flush with cash and want a one unit answer buy a paperless gps. If your wanting to conserve the dollars, the PDA approach is cheaper.

I am pondering this as well. I love my eTrex legend Hcx and worry about learning a whole new system... that said... I also worry about figuring out what PDA to get and how to work all that. But I don't like that you can't edit feild notes or delete individual caches in the new Garmins (but I want to continue to use my map micro SD cards so I need to stick with Garmin if I get a new GPS.

Well like they've said, adding a PDA to an existing GPSr is wayyyy cheaper than buying a paperless capable GPSr. Usually that difference makes the choice a very simple one for most people.

Also another option, standalone PDA's have been obsoleted by the a growing army of Smartphones that include PDA functionality. Getting one of those is another choice to consider.

Heck why buy new? I purchased a Dell Axim 5 PDA from Used Handhelds for $35 including charge stand and cables. I purchased Cachemate software from smittyware.com for $8. The Axim is windows based and is very easy to use. This is my first PDA and I didn't have any trouble learning how to use it. I also use GSAK to export the files to the PDA, Mapsource and my 60CSx.

Good luck....

Heck why buy new? I purchased a Dell Axim 5 PDA from Used Handhelds for $35 including charge stand and cables. I purchased Cachemate software from smittyware.com for $8. The Axim is windows based and is very easy to use. This is my first PDA and I didn't have any trouble learning how to use it. I also use GSAK to export the files to the PDA, Mapsource and my 60CSx.

Good luck....

I saw that in another forum... do you know if the Axim 5 is compatible with Windows7? If so then I will probably go that route, but I think I read somewhere that you have to switch back into XP mode? That sounds complicated (I'm kind of a tech dummy, I still have the old kind of cell phone that ONLY calls people, LOL).

PDA or smart phone would be a no brainer if it wasn't for the battery life. You can do 2 - 3 hours with your PDA or many hours with the GPSr. Android phone is still the choice for me, I just need a spare battery.

Of course, if you are really loaded with cash, get a top of the range GPSr that does everything.

While you ponder which to buy, download the 60CSxPOI macro from GSAK. It downloads entire cache page descriptions to the Etrex and 60 units using customized POIs. Its not very elegant but it works.

You may also consider getting a Nuvi model. There are macros for them too to use them as paperless. This way you will have a dash unit to take you to caches. They are quite handy to have.

Good luck....

I saw that in another forum... do you know if the Axim 5 is compatible with Windows7? If so then I will probably go that route, but I think I read somewhere that you have to switch back into XP mode? That sounds complicated (I'm kind of a tech dummy, I still have the old kind of cell phone that ONLY calls people, LOL).

Yes it is compatible. I use it with Vista on my desktop pc and Windows 7 on a new laptop. It's a breeze to use. Don't feel bad, I only have a Trac Phone I carry for emergencies.

PDA or smart phone would be a no brainer if it wasn't for the battery life. You can do 2 - 3 hours with your PDA or many hours with the GPSr. Android phone is still the choice for me, I just need a spare battery.

Of course, if you are really loaded with cash, get a top of the range GPSr that does everything.

If you only use the PDA to read the cache information the PDA battery will last all day. My charging cradle has a position to charge the PDA and a place to charge a spare battery but I have never felt the need for the spare battery.

If you only use the PDA to read the cache information the PDA battery will last all day. My charging cradle has a position to charge the PDA and a place to charge a spare battery but I have never felt the need for the spare battery.

Granted, but then the option is PDA + GPSr. The main advantage of using my Android phone is that I have an all in one solution - study cache details, hit navigate. It is my phone too, of course.

Granted, but then the option is PDA + GPSr. The main advantage of using my Android phone is that I have an all in one solution - study cache details, hit navigate. It is my phone too, of course.

Some of us have no need for the new iphones or at least I don't. I am retired and don't have a need for a phone with all of the built in applications. Heck, all I have is a Trac Phone for emergeny use.

I'm curious, what does you cell service cost you per month on an average?

Some of us have no need for the new iphones or at least I don't. I am retired and don't have a need for a phone with all of the built in applications. Heck, all I have is a Trac Phone for emergeny use.

I'm curious, what does you cell service cost you per month on an average?

Now there's a question! My contract is 30UKP per month BUT I sold the free phone for 60UKP and I get several 50UKP cashbacks over the 18 month term. After all that, it's something like 10UKP per month.

A complicated deal and I have to remember to send off copies of bills for the cashback but it was a good deal at the time. Next time I will probably go for the 15UKP per month deal with a free X-10 Android phone.

My PDA (M500) goes for days on it's battery, certainly many times the 2-3 hours you quote.

Good luck....

Yes it is compatible. I use it with Vista on my desktop pc and Windows 7 on a new laptop. It's a breeze to use. Don't feel bad, I only have a Trac Phone I carry for emergencies.

Thank you so much! I think I'm going to try it (and my husband's wallet thanks you, too!) :(

Good luck....

Thank you so much! I think I'm going to try it (and my husband's wallet thanks you, too!) :(

I am pretty sure that you will be very happy caching using the GPS'r and a PDA. If you need any help send me an email or a PM.