Well, They Keep Getting Dumber and Dumber

yankeepride

Not my kind of cache, and while this type of hide is really "crappy", I can't believe you haven't seen this theme/style before.

What really amazes me, is there are 5 finds on it over the last 3 days!

WFT!

My friends and I just found an amazing cache in a very interesting location, 1/2 mile into the woods along well defined trails. It was published and un-found for over 2 weeks.

As long as we keep finding and logging crappy caches, there's no reason for CO's to stop placing them!

On the other hand, this is a very efficient use of one's time, so perhaps it's not a bad idea ...

Point of fact the cache in question has been largely ignored since I posted an explicit photo of what we are dealing with, and noted that an E Mail had been sent to CO. We should all be blessed with the prescience that allows us to only search for amazing caches.

There is also the school of thought that says one may not criticize without having actually gotten on stage and acted in a play.

Edited by Packanack
As long as we keep finding and logging crappy caches, there's no reason for CO's to stop placing them!

Ekitt10 has a point. Anybody from around here who has geocached in other states knows we've been pretty blessed here and have largely avoided this kind of nonsense. It is the rule rather than the exception in some areas. Unfortunately it's starting to creep in here too.

The argument I hear often is that people keep finding them so they must enjoy them. I've seen examples of caches in similarly unappealing spots that have many finds. I don't know that people enjoy the experience so much as the opportunity for a quick smiley. Unfortunately the logs do encourage the COs to hide more.

But Packanack makes a good point too. We often really don't know what we're dealing with until we get there, especially when a cache has a writeup that is somewhat deceiving like the one in question.

I stopped logging these a while ago. If I see that the GPS is leading me to a place that I have no interest in going, I turn around. I don't need the smiley and I definitely don't want to encourage the CO to hide more of them.

Edited by briansnat

I was very grateful for the photo, otherwise I would have ended up wasting one of my lunch hours making a run over here. For those who found it, I can't blame them for logging the find, but as members of a largely self-regulating group, we owe it to each other to send up the signal flares when we know that 99% have no real interest (in fact, are disgusted) by ridiculous behavior like this.

Here's something to keep in mind - given the description and terrain/difficulty, this could easily attract someone who is brand new to caching. Think they'd stay on as a cacher if this was their first exposure?

Anyone close enough to this thing to get the number off of it and get the company to demand removal? That would take the burden out of the reviewers' hands.

I was very grateful for the photo, otherwise I would have ended up wasting one of my lunch hours making a run over here. For those who found it, I can't blame them for logging the find, but as members of a largely self-regulating group, we owe it to each other to send up the signal flares when we know that 99% have no real interest (in fact, are disgusted) by ridiculous behavior like this.

Here's something to keep in mind - given the description and terrain/difficulty, this could easily attract someone who is brand new to caching. Think they'd stay on as a cacher if this was their first exposure?

Anyone close enough to this thing to get the number off of it and get the company to demand removal? That would take the burden out of the reviewers' hands.

I know I may be the one who brought this to everyone's attention with my descriptive log, so I contacted the CO in a PM and he has indicated he is considering removal of the cache container.

Seems like he is actually a nice person and I must admit I enjoyed the cleverness of his Totowa cemetery series caches.

I honestly don't see what the big deal was about this. From the reaction in some of the logs, I thought it was actually hidden in the bowl. I also agree that its funny that people still wanted their smiley even though it was SO disgusting.

There were several different incarnations of a cache in the port o john at Atsion ranger station in Wharton State Forest (south jersey) which were hidden above the door and I don't think anyone ever had a problem with it (although maybe that is a nicer or cleaner potty :( ) I don't see what is so disgusting about it...if you would go in to use the john why is it so much more disgusting to find a cache that isn't hidden in or near the toilet? Although some people probably do find port o johns disgusting...many of them are when not maintained properly. Not saying that it would be my favorite place to go caching, but I think the intent was to be amusing.

Although I do agree that it is technically private property. I think the one in Wharton might be state property because its one of those large, permanent "self cleaning" types.

Edited by trowel32

Personally I didnt think it was bad.. I definately see a pattern of caches from the old timers and the newbies. Old timers actually brought you somewhere worthwhile, newbies are in it for the game. It was offensive to some, so I got rid of it. However, as an example, I didnt think it was as disgusting as

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a-f9c1264288a6#

This is about 2 feet away from Boston Market trash compactor. You can imagine how bad that smells in the summer.

Or

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b-3ef09f2e358a#

A cache hidden within 2 feet of a pile of skinned deer carcuses.

You get the point.

Edited by pmolan

There were several different incarnations of a cache in the port o john at Atsion ranger station in Wharton State Forest (south jersey) which were hidden above the door and I don't think anyone ever had a problem with it (although maybe that is a nicer or cleaner potty :) )

IIRC, these where hidden by several cachers that are well respected and often considered the "best" hiders of Wharton.

Personally I didnt think it was bad.. I definately see a pattern of caches from the old timers and the newbies. Old timers actually brought you somewhere worthwhile, newbies are in it for the game. It was offensive to some, so I got rid of it. However, as an example, I didnt think it was as disgusting as

This is about 2 feet away from Boston Market trash compactor. You can imagine how bad that smells in the summer.

This is true. I could never figure out what the appeal was of hiding a cache near a dumpster. At least there is some comical "relief" for a cache hiding at a port-a-john.

I like your attitude. You basically got new hole ripped in ya and are taking it with a sense of humor.

Ditto that!

Or

You get the point.

Of those three caches I'd rather be golfing. And I hate golf.

Or

You get the point.

I suspect that the cache was there before the carcasses. The earliest logs don't mention them.

Yes there are a lot of crappy caches out there (trache is a term I've heard used.). I placed a few myself in the early days. I think I might have been the one to introduce the guardrail micro to northern NJ and will never forgive myself for that (though I'm sure it would have arrived eventually).

I long ago decided that there were enough crappy caches out there and I made a decision not to add to them.

The one exception was a joke cache that I called "The Worst Cache in NJ". I tried very hard to make the worst cache I could imagine. Totally inappropriate, leaky container, absolute junk for contents, a logbook made of sheets torn from a notebook, hidden in an unappealing, garbage strewn and poison ivy laced area next to a strip mall parking lot.

The sad thing was that many finders remarked that they've found much worse.

We have a high percentage of great caches in NJ. The scene here is far better than most places I've visited in this respect. Unfortunately the bar seems to be getting lower and lower and the micro spew so common elsewhere is starting to make inroads here too.

So why not forgo the LCD caches and raise the bar a bit? And if anyone gets the urge to do some caching in strip malls and behind 7-Eleven dumpsters, PA isn't too far of a drive.

I do remember doing one of your guard rail micros with my son, when he was much younger and it was on Clinton Road , near the furnace, he was enthralled with the rushing waters, the furnace and of course the tales of Clinton Road, thus demonstrating that not all guard rail micros are lame.

I am currently working on a few hide ideas and hope others would realize that the game depends more on the hide than on the find. I am hopeful that I can get my pending hide approved shortly from the queue, as I think it can be something different in the local scene.

Well, glad that cooler heads prevailed and this was archived, so thanks to the CO for allowing the overall GC community to weigh in on this. As for the sock beating, we might actually have to do that on video if you come to an event. I think if we got a bunch of the stuffed animal TBs together, that it would make for some great YouTube content on the NNJC website.

As for the sense of humor, I do second Brian's comment about taking it well, and I commend you for that. I certainly hope the "dumber and dumber" title of this thread was not taken as a comment on the CO (since I don't know you), and was intended for the choice of hide location. As much as I am one to be loud, at times, in voicing my opinion on negative things, I'd like to think I balance it with positives when things are done well. I'm really, really pleased that instead of copping an FU attitude toward a mostly-negative reaction to the cache, you let us convince you that this isn't an overall benefit to caching in our area. For that reason alone, I salute you (for what that's worth), and look forward to your future caching endeavors in our area.

Or

You get the point.

I suspect that the cache was there before the carcasses. The earliest logs don't mention them.

That happens around here occasionally; cache searches brought me into the general vicinity of a deer skeleton on at least two separate occasions this spring. It's a little surprising to come across one, but not really "disturbing", at least to me.

It seems our woodlands have not been properly Disney-ified and there are animals dying of natural causes and predator-prey relationships, leaving their remains in places inconvenient for some cachers. Someone really ought to get on top of these situations and sanitize the woods to protect our feelings.

The place they were speaking of was the depository point for road kill, it was not that the deer were dying of natural causes.

It used to be that the state and local govt.s would collect the road kill and bring it to some isolated place and dump the carcass to make for a cleaner look on the streets. This was once that place. It is bottomland down a dirt road with no houses for half a mile.

In some areas they have started to generate some complaints because the downwind neighbors were being bombarded with wafting decomposition odors. Have to say that occassionally when out riding bike, you come across one bloated body and it takes your breath away.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/p...covers_pil.html

Edited by Packanack

Totally not GC, and don't know if they still do it, but NH used to have a "road kill auction." I believe they'd freeze the carcasses they found and then auction them off - I hate to think that people ate the stuff, but I suppose some did. I'd prefer to think they just used the pelts or something...

A Google search says Idaho does this, perhaps other states do as well. :)

Edited by Madav42