Anybody Know This Account?

NOSNOW

Okay their logs on the trackables they pick up really upset me. "This is ours now". Really? Where I come from that's called THEFT, plain and simple. Not a game, not a scavenger hunt. THEFT. I hope someone catches them and calls the law on them.

I noticed that they picked up a cute coin that's traveled all the way from Germany and left that as their log. It's no wonder so many countries hate Americans, when people like this do this kind of crap. Makes me angry and sad that people like this think it's fun to ruin the game for others.

How has a banned member had a cache approved????

Surely that puts at risk even more trackables

its archived now

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c1-0a868c178c81

unless their IP is banned, banning them doesn't make any difference, they can register with a different name

maybe its time GC does something about the possibility of registering more than once from the same IP and with the same email address, i don't see the point of the sock puppet accounts anyway, except if you've got no guts to speak your mind under your own name

Edited by t4e

Account has been banned and the cache has been archived. We do have some information about who they are and I have sent them an email asking them to stop ruining the game for others (among other things). If anyone comes across additional information, please email me through my profile.

Account has been banned and the cache has been archived. We do have some information about who they are and I have sent them an email asking them to stop ruining the game for others (among other things). If anyone comes across additional information, please email me through my profile.

thank you!!! ;):D:D

need any help?

As caching pastor (lol), l may refuse absolution (not laughing out loud) :P

pastor_B

Update:

I received an apologetic reply to my email from the cacher. He explained that it was a few people that were doing it as an elaborate set up for the cache. They planned to give everything back and it was just part of the way they were playing the game. He now understands that their messaging caused some concern, and he appears genuinely sorry for causing trouble.

I believe that the trackables will be replaced very shortly and that this case can soon be closed.

This isn't the first time that someone thought this was a fun way to set up their own cache and fill it with trackables. Not everyone remembers when pirates were a very bad thing in geocaching, and some may think it's funny to act as pirates, or pirate types, not knowing the effect it can have on the community. Thanks for the heads up on the reports, and thank you Groundspeak for the speedy replies! :P

. . . unless their IP is banned . . .
I can see several problems with this

people who have dial-up access get an IP address assigned when they connect

it is issued from a pool of IP addresses owned by their provider

another innocent user may get the offending IP address at a later time

and the pirate is likely to get a different IP address the next time that they connect

a similar situation exists with shared and/or public computers

such as at a school or library

an innocent user could get blocked due to a pirate having used the computer at an earlier time

even in a home situation, one pirate family member could get innocent accounts owned by another family member blocked

I hope someone . . . calls the law on them.
as much as this sort of thing annoys me, I don't imagine that much can be done

"Hello, officer, I left something under a tree in my local park, and someone came and took it.

Can you please do something about it ?"

after they stopped laughing, they would probably recommend that you quit leaving things under trees in your local park

I hope someone . . . calls the law on them.
as much as this sort of thing annoys me, I don't imagine that much can be done

"Hello, officer, I left something under a tree in my local park, and someone came and took it.

Can you please do something about it ?"

after they stopped laughing, they would probably recommend that you quit leaving things under trees in your local park

That's correct. As an LEO in the state where this happening (allegedly), the police won't do anything. By placing the item in the cache it can be argued that you have relinquished ownership.

. . . unless their IP is banned . . .
I can see several problems with this

people who have dial-up access get an IP address assigned when they connect

it is issued from a pool of IP addresses owned by their provider

another innocent user may get the offending IP address at a later time

and the pirate is likely to get a different IP address the next time that they connect

a similar situation exists with shared and/or public computers

such as at a school or library

an innocent user could get blocked due to a pirate having used the computer at an earlier time

even in a home situation, one pirate family member could get innocent accounts owned by another family member blocked

it's called consequences and responsibility...

so you are "ok" with what the Black Hand posted???

I refuse to believe that they will return anything until they actually do so. I certainly hope I'm proven wrong and everything goes back to their rightful cache...

I've been told that they just placed 1/2 of the missing trackables here:

http://coord.info/GCW22N

Confidence is high (in my office anyway). :P

As the owner of one of the pirated coins, I know that as of yesterday this member was holding at least ten TB/Coins. According to their profile, they still have all ten. None of the travelers has yet been logged out of this account. Of course, there's a difference between them logging the travelers into a cache and actually placing them in the cache.

you didn't get the point. it's not called consequences and responsibility, it's called technology. an IP ban wouldn't do any good at all.

you didn't get the point. it's not called consequences and responsibility, it's called technology. an IP ban wouldn't do any good at all.

no, I don't think you get it

sure, IP bans don't work..

His implication was that others using the same IP address would be effected

I stand corrected

I refuse to believe that they will return anything until they actually do so. I certainly hope I'm proven wrong and everything goes back to their rightful cache...

Confidence is high (in my office anyway). :(

As the owner of one of the pirated coins, I know that as of yesterday this member was holding at least ten TB/Coins. According to their profile, they still have all ten. None of the travelers has yet been logged out of this account. Of course, there's a difference between them logging the travelers into a cache and actually placing them in the cache.

All the travelers that The_Black_Hand has moved/discovered still show in their possesion...

And did you see their note on their profile page "If this account is deleted, we will not only loot caches, but destroy them as well, and you will never see your trackable items again." That doesn't seem like mis-communication.... seems pretty clear to me...

Their account was banned... so how would they log the trackables out?

Well there's a really good question that I hadn't thought about... :(

Except wait... Bryan said that it was a group of people. One of them can grab the items and drop them.

Edited by Toojin

And did you see their note on their profile page "If this account is deleted, we will not only loot caches, but destroy them as well, and you will never see your trackable items again." That doesn't seem like mis-communication.... seems pretty clear to me...

That statement was written to their profile page BEFORE they were banned.... part of the set up to represent themselves as some bad#$$ pirates of the geocaching world. However I still think it's all hype as we've seen similar hype here to curry interest in a cache. Heck we've seen coin designers do the same thing on the forums - I mean hyping it up not taking other people's trackables hostage.

Confidence is high (in my office anyway). :)

Three weeks later and only three of the nine geocoins that The Black Hand grabbed have been spotted in the wild again. Confidence may have been declared high prematurely.