Good Logs

Good for you!! I think that most cache owners enjoy getting good logs. :o What I do is I find something that I like about the cache, or the area around it, no matter what kind of cache it was, or something about my drive or walk to the cache site. If I'm doing a lot of caches in a day I write notes in my PDA about each one so that I can remember enough little details. Then I log on the cache page!

Sometimes I write more than others, but I try to at least write a sentence or two.

I find that it helps me see the beauty in ordinary things as well. I might find something beautiful about an area that I wouldn't normally spot, while I'm trying to come up with a cache log.

Yeah nothing bothers me more while reading my cache logs than some acronym only, or copy pasted "Out with (soandso) today doing caches in the area, and yours was one of them! Thanks!" Those bug me :/ Especially if I'm stumped at a cache and go to read comments and only see that kinda stuff.

I usually write about any mishaps or assumptions I had when searching for a cache that turned out false. Or it's fun trying to talk about the cache itself without giving away it's location. ie. "I had my hand on it the whole time without realizing". Or also mention the scenery or weather, anything to add some personalization.

Sometimes I'll copy paste a generic beginning, when I do 15+ caches, explaining what I was doing in the area, and then I'll write more about my experience with the cache itself. Or just something short and quirky if it was really boring.

First off find caches that make you want to write good logs. How much is there to write about cache in a mall parking lot or strip mall?

Most of my logs recount something about the journey to the cache, the search, the find and the area where the cache was hidden. You don't have to write a "book" if you don't want to, but most cache owners appreciate at least a few sentences letting them know if you enjoyed the cache.

I looked at my last cache log. It's nothing great, just a few sentences but miles better than a simple TFTC:

"Skigirl and I were looking for a short hike and the loop on this little peninsula looked perfect. Found the cache after a short walk. Nice hiding spot. Too bad camping isn't legal here because it would be a pretty spot to pitch a tent. Started off after the next cache to the south, but the rumble of thunder to the west told us we had best turn around. TFTC!

Edited by briansnat

I detail the journey to and from the cache if anything memorable has happened. I also take some pictures to annotate my adventure, and if it was a really good adventure I'll add it to my blog. I detail any interesting trees, plants, flowers, insects, animals, etc. that I see. I detail how I went about finding it (as long as I don't give too much away) or any little things we argued about or giggled about!

If I do a long trail sometimes it's hard to remember which cache was which, so in those cases I scribble something down on a piece of paper in my pocket to jog my memory when writing my logs. I try and waffle on as much as possible in my logs, :o however sometimes there really is nothing else to say than TFTC!

Glad to see you're getting tired of TFTC logs and want to write more.

As a cache owner, I am almost insulted when I went to the effort to bring people to spots they likely wouldn't be able to find on their own or that are interesting or fun and scenic, and the finder writes TFTC. I say 'almost' because I realize that it's not me, it's them.. :o

I want to know if you were able to find the cache easily enough or did you have to really hunt for it. What else did you do while you were there. Tell me about the day, what the dog/kids/partner did while you were there. What was the weather like. Do you even like the cache location, did it inspire you in any way. Did you have fun doing the cache!

I got a cache log the other day, the finder hadn't been to that spot in 30 years. He told me about how he used to vacation near there when he was a child, had forgotten all about the place. He went on to tell me about his childhood memories from there. Nice Log. It made me all the happier I had been able to place a cache there!!

The last time I used a simple TFTC was a cache that was the same as three other caches by the same owner. They were part of a series that were all the same type of hides, same type of caches and all in similiarly boring locations on the side of highways. I did three of the CO's series just to see if they improved, they didn't. The other 20 +/- caches in that series are on the ignore list.

Are y'all referrring to the logs IN the cache itself or the notes that everyone can see online? Sometimes I write a quickie on the physical log but go home and add all my notes and details.

I agree, there isn't much to say about a cache under a lamp post in the parking lot, other than thanks. On another we found I could have said, "it was really a good hide because the paint you used to disguise the nano really matched the object." On the easier ones I hate to say too much otherwise it will just give it away. I do like to see if it takes somebody more than 20 minutes to find it (not including the hike) or if the coordinates are off.

We're pretty new to this and I am learning from other logs what to say.

I really appreciate all the advice in the forums.

Zac, you appear to be doing pretty well already:

[Found it] June 22 by Zac Young (85 found)

Me and a friend were doing our regular geocaching excursion today. I believe I had visited this cache at one point and had no luck, but things turned out differently this time. We parked, and apart from the very muddy conditions, picked up the cahce with no problems. Signed log. TFTC!

Me and a friend were doing our regular geocaching excursion today. So many new caches in Shawnessy! Because of where we parked, we had a generous, yet nice and peaceful (no C-trains) walk up to the cache site. Found it almost instantly,and signed the log. TFTC!

Me and a friend were doing our regular geocaching excursion today. We parked and picked this one up fairly quickly. I have to say, we really enjoyed this cache! I thought it was really creative! We couldn't think of anything to leave. The previous finders covered almost any item of large size and luxury that we could think of. Signed log. TFTH!

You've told us something about your experience, about the condition of the cache, and the condition of the surrounding area. I don't really think you need our help, you seem to be doing fine.

I wanted to get some input from some other peole on this - how do I write decent online logs? The old TFTC is getting annoying and I kinda want to branch out ;)

In general - be descriptive.

As a cache owner a log of "TFTC" is bordering on rude - my efforts to place and maintain a cache don't even warrant a visitor spelling it out. I may as well just stick film canisters everywhere with pieces of damp notebook paper. :o

Take along a small note pad to record observations at the cache. I write a word or two, which will jog my memory when I get home. If it's something very notable I'll be more verbose. Spotting wildlife, the experience of the find, getting there, getting back, are all parts of the story of each find. No need to write a book, but if it was a memorable visit, please share it.

Yesterday I was looking for a cache when a hare leapt from the grass, where it was hiding, and sprinted away. Quite a sight! I didn't have my camera ready, but I did record the experience in the online log.

While I don't totally advocate lugging a camera around with you, you never know what you might see and photos are the absolute pearls.

I've heard of Dodder, a parasitic plant, and finally encountered some yesterday - here's the log

Happy caching!

Yeah nothing bothers me more while reading my cache logs than some acronym only, or copy pasted "Out with (soandso) today doing caches in the area, and yours was one of them! Thanks!" Those bug me :/ Especially if I'm stumped at a cache and go to read comments and only see that kinda stuff.

I usually write about any mishaps or assumptions I had when searching for a cache that turned out false. Or it's fun trying to talk about the cache itself without giving away it's location. ie. "I had my hand on it the whole time without realizing". Or also mention the scenery or weather, anything to add some personalization.

Sometimes I'll copy paste a generic beginning, when I do 15+ caches, explaining what I was doing in the area, and then I'll write more about my experience with the cache itself. Or just something short and quirky if it was really boring.

Wow. I was going to write almost the exact same 3 paragraph reply. So to the OP...um...what he said.

Are y'all referrring to the logs IN the cache itself or the notes that everyone can see online? Sometimes I write a quickie on the physical log but go home and add all my notes and details.

I agree, there isn't much to say about a cache under a lamp post in the parking lot, other than thanks. On another we found I could have said, "it was really a good hide because the paint you used to disguise the nano really matched the object." On the easier ones I hate to say too much otherwise it will just give it away. I do like to see if it takes somebody more than 20 minutes to find it (not including the hike) or if the coordinates are off.

I'm 99% sure the OP was talking about the online logs, which is why I answered the way I did. As for physical logbooks. I'll write a note when there is a larger logbook, and/or the cache was memorable or special. Many times the logbooks won't have enough room to write a good note in them, so I just put my cache name and the date so that others will have enough room. Hope that answers your question :o

I detail the journey to and from the cache if anything memorable has happened. I also take some pictures to annotate my adventure, and if it was a really good adventure I'll add it to my blog. I detail any interesting trees, plants, flowers, insects, animals, etc. that I see. I detail how I went about finding it (as long as I don't give too much away) or any little things we argued about or giggled about!

If I do a long trail sometimes it's hard to remember which cache was which, so in those cases I scribble something down on a piece of paper in my pocket to jog my memory when writing my logs. I try and waffle on as much as possible in my logs, :o however sometimes there really is nothing else to say than TFTC!

What she said.

If the cache is pretty routine or uninteresting or if the cache owner has not logged into the site for a long time, I will leave a happy face. But thats rare.

I'm 99% sure the OP was talking about the online logs, which is why I answered the way I did. As for physical logbooks. I'll write a note when there is a larger logbook, and/or the cache was memorable or special. Many times the logbooks won't have enough room to write a good note in them, so I just put my cache name and the date so that others will have enough room. Hope that answers your question :o

I assumed, as you did, that the OP was talking about the online logs. After all, he did say "how do I write decent online logs?"

I assumed, as you did, that the OP was talking about the online logs. After all, he did say "how do I write decent online logs?"

Exactly. ;)

Take along a small note pad to record observations at the cache. I write a word or two, which will jog my memory when I get home. If it's something very notable I'll be more verbose. Spotting wildlife, the experience of the find, getting there, getting back, are all parts of the story of each find. No need to write a book, but if it was a memorable visit, please share it.

:o I've started doing this and they read like some really weird free form poem.

example:

ParkCityP

Pole, muggles, street fair

Promnot

GC's, no TB's

Staying West

On way to PC

Thanks so much everyone for the input :o

For those who were wondering, I was walking about online logs. But this has been helpful.

Thank you! I know I'm generally descriptive, I was just looking for some extra idea as I can tend to be fairly repetative.

Your next challenge will be to learn how to write critical logs :o I mean, no-one with more than a few finds has enjoyed every cache have they? So, tell it like it is!

(And when you work out a good way of doing that, let me know ... I've upset a few people this way.)

Your next challenge will be to learn how to write critical logs :P I mean, no-one with more than a few finds has enjoyed every cache have they? So, tell it like it is!

(And when you work out a good way of doing that, let me know ... I've upset a few people this way.)

This is the subject of a book I'm writing -

Scenic Lamp Posts and Guardrails of the West

:o:);)

Edited by DragonsWest

Your next challenge will be to learn how to write critical logs :o I mean, no-one with more than a few finds has enjoyed every cache have they? So, tell it like it is!

Honestly... in my case if there's something I really don't like I send a private email to the cache owner so I don't embarrass them. But it depends on the situation. If I feel like I need to warn other cachers about something dangerous or scary, etc in the area I will put it in an online log.

Recently I DNF'd a cache that did turn out to be missing, but there were weird little shrines in the area with used condoms and bones everywhere (and perhaps drug needles, who knows), and also a lot of broken glass. I thought that was necessary for other finders to know to prevent looking through a rock pile for the cache only to find something icky or dangerous.

"Ok so after searching for quite a bit through all the discarded trash, I see this black pouch in the tree, I grab it, unzip it thinking I had found the cache... Wrong, it was a syringe, and also tucked away in the pouch was some heroin! Ahhh how lovely. After throwing that stuff, I notice that some crack head has made quite the bachelor pad down at the bottom, complete with family sized tent, lazy boy chair and about 20 brief cases which I'm sure he paid for LOL. Anyways, I'm not too sensitive so I continued my search for a little bit longer until I heard 2 voices approaching the tents from further down by the river, My wife, daughter and I ran about as fast as we could out of there before we got caught lol."

My DNF log from a cache along a bike/walking trail in an urban area next to a river bed. Even when I don't find the cache I like to write a good note :o

Edited by Dragery

I go with the random non sequiturs myself

either that or long rambling blather

the point really is to amuse...well me

I have to submit system change requests at work. One of the systems guys and I are pretty good friends. When we first met (in person) he told me that I was rather infamous for submitting all of my change requests in haiku format. Some of them are apparently up on their bulletin board. I figure if they look forward to getting them from me they might process mine first.

trust story

ie:

what once was needed

has become quite obsolete

please delete this node

I shoudl totally do haiku cache logs. Sometimes though when you read my haiku you have to remember that I speak with a drawl and take creative license with the syllables.

First off find caches that make you want to write good logs. How much is there to write about cache in a mall parking lot or strip mall?

Most of my logs recount something about the journey to the cache, the search, the find and the area where the cache was hidden. You don't have to write a "book" if you don't want to, but most cache owners appreciate at least a few sentences letting them know if you enjoyed the cache.

I looked at my last cache log. It's nothing great, just a few sentences but miles better than a simple TFTC:

"Skigirl and I were looking for a short hike and the loop on this little peninsula looked perfect. Found the cache after a short walk. Nice hiding spot. Too bad camping isn't legal here because it would be a pretty spot to pitch a tent. Started off after the next cache to the south, but the rumble of thunder to the west told us we had best turn around. TFTC!

You've written something here which demonstrates something that I try to do with most of my logs. That is, the log isn't just about the cache, and how it's hidden. It describes the experience of finding the cache within the context of the days outing. It's not that often that I leave the house, go find a single cache, then return to log it. Usually, I've gone somewhere before or after finding the cache, or finding it was part of some other activity that I was doing so describing the journey to/from the cache or something interesting I was doing can provide plenty of material for writing a log. When I find a cache, for which the intent seems to be to bring me to an interesting place, or scenic view, I'll write about the place or scenic view and not so much about the actual cache.

Your next challenge will be to learn how to write critical logs :P I mean, no-one with more than a few finds has enjoyed every cache have they? So, tell it like it is!

You can get away with it if you make 'em laugh. Eg,

Just as oceans will someday dry up, so too will the logbook.

Or, (this example from a Jimmy Buffett-themed LPC):

Nibblin on micros

Doin' what who knows

All of those film cans in the same place

Playin' my day dream

Thinking of ice cream

Smell that fast food it's always nearby

Wastin away again in micro/nanoville

Searching for my lost reason to be

Some people claim that theres a number to blame

But I know its FindStatsGen's fault

I dont know the reason

I cached through the season

Nothin to show but this higher number

But its a real beauty

A round number cutie

How it came here I haven't a clue

Wastin away again in zero-challengeville

Searchin for my lost motivation

Some people claim that theres a number to blame

Now I think

Hell, it could be my fault

~~-~~-- screeeeeeeeeetttcccchhh --~~-~~

In-a-gadda-da-vida honey,

don'tcha know that I love you?

In-a-gadda-da-vida baby,

don'tcha know that I'll always be true?

You've written something here which demonstrates something that I try to do with most of my logs. That is, the log isn't just about the cache, and how it's hidden. It describes the experience of finding the cache within the context of the days outing. It's not that often that I leave the house, go find a single cache, then return to log it. Usually, I've gone somewhere before or after finding the cache, or finding it was part of some other activity that I was doing so describing the journey to/from the cache or something interesting I was doing can provide plenty of material for writing a log. When I find a cache, for which the intent seems to be to bring me to an interesting place, or scenic view, I'll write about the place or scenic view and not so much about the actual cache.

Two things here that are very important to remember when attempting to write a better than average log. The first is that it is easier to write a nice log on a great cache than on a run of the mill cache. Spend your time searching for those caches that inspire you to write a better log.

Second is that it is about the experience, not just the cache itself. Getting to, and returning from, the cache is all a part of the experience of finding the cache. But don't overdo it. Nobody wants your life history, just the part of it that relates to finding the cache you are writing about.

Remember, not every cache is worthy of a great log. There are caches that rate no more than a quick TFTC. Usually the CO knows that their LPC or Guardrail cache or other run of the mill cache is going to be receiving the short, uninspired logs when they hide 'em.