Palm Zire 71 and Windows 7

kgb2

So, you have tried the Palm desktop 4.1.4 and it won't install or work properly with your Zire 71? Is your Windows 7 the 32 or 64 bit version?

As far as a replacement Palm PDA, a popular one for Geocaching is one of the m5__ series, but it uses the same desktop software as the Zire..

I have recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 7, I also use a Palm Zire 71 which I now find is not compatible.

I am prepared to purchase a cheap PDA which I will mainly use for caching

Any suggestions?

Actually your palm will work find. What does not work is the desktop since there are no 64-bit usb drivers available. See this post.

I have recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 7, I also use a Palm Zire 71 which I now find is not compatible.

Any suggestions?

If your release of Windows 7 supports it, you could download the "XP Mode" add-on from Microsoft and run the Palm Desktop software in the virtual Windows XP environment. That should allow you to use the Palm Desktop software and also use your PDA...

Any suggestions?

If your release of Windows 7 supports it, you could download the "XP Mode" add-on from Microsoft and run the Palm Desktop software in the virtual Windows XP environment. That should allow you to use the Palm Desktop software and also use your PDA...

Yes, Win7 Professional will support that. I had thought of that but each time you want to use hot sync you need to monkey with the USB connectivity because it does not survive reboots. I decided the SD card approach was simpler easier to use.

I have no suggestion for the Zire. The Palm T|X can sync using WIFI so it works just fine with any version of Windows.

The problem with Windows 7, either 32-bit or 64-bit is not the Palm Desktop and it's not the Hotsync Manager. As was mentioned above, it's the lack of good USB drivers. So the only totally reliable solution is to avoid using a USB connection.

That means WIFI. Any Palm device that will sync with WIFI, like the T|X, will do the job just fine with either version of the Palm Desktop. I don't much like v6.x of the Palm Desktop from Access so I stay with version 4.x, the last version from Palm.

...ken...