Placing My first Hide

ahomburg

I have just submitted my first hide for review, should the cache be already in place, or will I be given a time and date when the cache will be active?

It would be nice to be able to place the cache after the reviewer has approved it, that way I haven't wasted time hiding a cache that does not get approved.

Let me know.

Thanks

Adriaan

I never thought of not putting the container out before submitting the listing. We have varied work hours, so when it is published, it is ready to go! Did our first puzzle cache this week, definitely a learning experience!! Both in making the puzzle work and in listing it. When it asked for additional waypoints, I left it blank... why would I want to publish the coords of a puzzle cache? Defeats the purpose of the puzzle, right? How wrong I was! Oops! We have a very nice, patent reviewer (who probably is beating his/her head against the wall because of newbie stupidity), who has walked us through the proper procedure! The coords aren't published for all to see, missed seeing that in the explanation. Placing and listing a cache can be just as much of an adventure as finding one!

The best way to avoid placing caches that won't be approved is to read and follow the guidelines.

The first few caches I tried to place were denied! I know... how could they?

It happens.. don't let it discourage you.

I've been lucky. Only had one cache denied. It was one foot away from a cache that I thought had been archived. (Boy did I feel dumb.)

At least I got to find a cache when I went to relocate mine.

You can "pre-review" your own cache by using the search feature on the geocaching site.

Enter your coords for your cache location, and give it a search radius of 1 mile and you will get results of nearby caches. This is a fast way to see if there are any other caches in the 0.1 mile radius.

Of course this does not help with multis or puzzles, due to additional (hidden) waypoints for those caches, but at least it tells you the starting coords for all caches nearby.

I have just submitted my first hide for review, should the cache be already in place, or will I be given a time and date when the cache will be active?

It would be nice to be able to place the cache after the reviewer has approved it, that way I haven't wasted time hiding a cache that does not get approved.

Let me know.

Thanks

Adriaan

It needs to be in place before the submit button is hit so THIS doesn't happen. :D

Good luck with your hides...