Is this a bench mark?

CaliGurl14

It looks like a survey mark to me, but not of a style I'm familiar with. More likely horizontal control than a true (elevation) benchmark since it has a dot in the middle, but perhaps dual-purpose. Nothing gives me scale - how big is it?

It wouldn't be likely to be in the data base, however.

U.S.E.D. is probably the United States Engineer Department. I believe others on this forum have indicated it is a early name for the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Thanks for the input, wister6813. That points me in the right direction. I've very new to all this and have not had a chance to read everything... I will do more research and get smarter as I go. Again, thanks for the input. I look forward to learning more :(

U.S.E.D. is probably the United States Engineer Department. I believe others on this forum have indicated it is a early name for the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Thanks for the input, wister6813. That points me in the right direction. I've very new to all this and have not had a chance to read everything... I will do more research and get smarter as I go. Again, thanks for the input. I look forward to learning more :(

May as well post this here instead of making a new topic, but I have the same question.

Only my thing looks a lot less benchmark-y. But the fact that it was in the middle of the woods and had lat/long data written on it made me wonder.

Excellent question. It is not a benchmark. A "monitoring well" is a well drilled at a specific location for the purpose of testing water quality in the area. Or, it may be used for checking the height of the water table; i.e., how far below ground can you find water.

A typical example of the first use is detecting groundwater contamination--especially if a Leaking Underground Storage Tank (L.U.S.T.) is know to have been in the vicinity. Multiple monitoring wells are laid out in a manner to follow the water flow, so it can be determined how far and/or wide the contamination pattern is.

As for the second use, there are areas of the Country where massive amounts of groundwater are being extracted for municipal or agricultural purposes. It is important to monitor the effect on the water table. If it drops too low, residential wells may be left "high and dry".

Bottom line: When you see a monitoring well, watch out! It may indicate that someone has a LUST problem. <_<

-Paul-

Edited by PFF
May as well post this here instead of making a new topic, but I have the same question.

Only my thing looks a lot less benchmark-y. But the fact that it was in the middle of the woods and had lat/long data written on it made me wonder.

Excellent question. It is not a benchmark. A "monitoring well" is a well drilled at a specific location for the purpose of testing water quality in the area. Or, it may be used for checking the height of the water table; i.e., how far below ground can you find water.

A typical example of the first use is detecting groundwater contamination--especially if a Leaking Underground Storage Tank (L.U.S.T.) is know to have been in the vicinity. Multiple monitoring wells are laid out in a manner to follow the water flow, so it can be determined how far and/or wide the contamination pattern is.

As for the second use, there are areas of the Country where massive amounts of groundwater are being extracted for municipal or agricultural purposes. It is important to monitor the effect on the water table. If it drops too low, residential wells may be left "high and dry".

Bottom line: When you see a monitoring well, watch out! It may indicate that someone has a LUST problem. <_<

-Paul-

Awesome! Not nearly as cool as an unexpected smiley, but interesting none the less. Thanks for that information.