Travel Bug Stats

Guest regoarrarr

Guest regoarrarr

I came up with a little script to query the stats on all the travel bugs that have been released.

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/showBugs.cgi

Check it out if you're interested.

If you have any questions, comments, or things you'd like to see added, just let me know. Jeremy, if you'd like this code for your site just let me know and I'll send you the code and/or work with you to port it to ASP. No charge of course.

dan.

Guest Markwell

Very cool. How often will it be updated?

The best part is that it catches any travel bug that has moved and displays them. Maybe the J-man can steal your script and make the data part of the TB section. That way the data would be live...

Just a thought.

I have had plans for many travel bug stats, including mapping bugs that have travelled more than 1000 miles. Once I get country/state pages specifically set up you'll be able to track the top in-state bugs as well.

Jeremy

Guest Markwell

I knew you'd be doing that kind of stuff. This is just a neat (and already implemented) query on the data. I just can't wait...

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

icon_wink.gif

Guest Markwell

I knew you'd be doing that kind of stuff. This is just a neat (and already implemented) query on the data. I just can't wait...

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

icon_wink.gif

I forgot to mention that, indeed, regoarrarr, you made a pretty cool tool. I just am trying to get most of it to be efficient so in case we get lots of pageviews at once the thing doesn't crawl. Hitting the site to collect data and post elsewhere causes CPU cycle peaks that concern me.

Jeremy

Guest Moun10Bike

AWESOME! icon_biggrin.gif Very fun to browse through the various travelers and see where they've been!

One thing I noticed is that The Stash Hopper has been in 7 caches, yet the list shows it as having been in 5. It looks like this is due to the fact that Jeremy had to recreate the pre-Travel Bug era logs for it, and as a result not every retrieval has a corresponding placement in the logs.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/126F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Moun10Bike

AWESOME! icon_biggrin.gif Very fun to browse through the various travelers and see where they've been!

One thing I noticed is that The Stash Hopper has been in 7 caches, yet the list shows it as having been in 5. It looks like this is due to the fact that Jeremy had to recreate the pre-Travel Bug era logs for it, and as a result not every retrieval has a corresponding placement in the logs.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/126F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest mikemtn

I'm really happy with this. I never dreamed my "Smokey_2" would be in the #9 place. If my "From Jonjaben" makes it to Australia where He's on his way to, He should be #1 for a day or two. Thanks Dan.

Mike

Guest gnbrotz

quote:
Originally posted by mikemtn:

I never dreamed my "Smokey_2" would be in the #9 place

Mike

Mike, I have "Smokey 2" in PA. I hope to drop him here this weekend. After I log him, he should move up to #5.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

Guest Choberiba

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

in case we get lots of pageviews at once the thing doesn't crawl. Hitting the site to collect data and post elsewhere causes CPU cycle peaks that concern me. Jeremy

What if something like this was updated "off peak" like 2AM Pacific?

Several folks are working on scripts that grab site information for PDA use.

Most of the information is fairly static so a daily update at a time that wasn't normally very busy might be helpful.

Naturally, I have no idea what kind of a load the folks overseas place on the server.

Guest regoarrarr

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I just am trying to get most of it to be efficient so in case we get lots of pageviews at once the thing doesn't crawl. Hitting the site to collect data and post elsewhere causes CPU cycle peaks that concern me.

Jeremy

Jeremy, I definitely agree. It's because of this that I wouldn't update it very often, to answer another question up-thread. I'd say 1-2 times a week at most.

The real reason I wrote it was to give it to the site. The actual page that displays the result doesn't take any CPU hit - it's the other script that crawls the site that would hit the CPU.

Ideally, if this could be integrated into the whole site, there would be no need for a separate script to crawl the site. Every time a log was made of a bug, it would just write one update query to a "bugstats" database that the display page could call.

If you want to talk more about this Jeremy feel free to email me at dan at insidecorner dot com.

Another thing I'd like to say goes along with this. I know from running my own site that there is a lot of work that goes on that you have to do Jeremy. It's a beast as you mentioned in your email to me this morning as a reply to a question I had.

As a web developer, this is an area that I'm able to help out. There are many new features such as this that I'd love to see and I'm sure other users would like to see as well. Such as bug / cache stats, maps, ability to view caches found by other users, ability to edit your logs, etc. I'm sure that you have thought of these things also - but you only have so many hours to do this as I think you have a "real" job as well, not to mention that I'm sure you son't want to spend ALL your free time updating this site.

I'm willing to chip in - give me some direction and put me to work. If you want to talk more about this, feel free to email me.

dan.

Guest glenn95630

Here is the buffalo web page (sidenote: Thanks for photos of Chena Hot Springs, they brought back some memories.)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=150

Here is the race car web page

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=1355

The race car has more miles. I'm not implying that these bugs are first and second. They might be 10th and 20th for all I know.

[This message has been edited by glenn95630 (edited 18 November 2001).]

Guest Artful Dodger

Jeremy,

Could you not provide that data for us curious minds out there? A Travel Bug Stats page with the top 20 Bugs with distance travelled, etc would much appreciated.

This would save your site getting repeated peak hits.

Thanks