anyone want to freecycle their GPS?

:) We are a very poor family home childcare that would like to obtain a GPS. We have been using google maps to identify the location, but it would be nice to educate the children on how a GPS works. Does anyone have an old GPS they are no longer using? I'd appreciate it. BTW, do you know about freecycle.org to 'give away' any old unwanted items that you really don't want to put into the landfill? check it out!

Might be best for you to participate in the forums a bit before asking for handouts.

:) We are a very poor family home childcare that would like to obtain a GPS. We have been using google maps to identify the location, but it would be nice to educate the children on how a GPS works. Does anyone have an old GPS they are no longer using? I'd appreciate it. BTW, do you know about freecycle.org to 'give away' any old unwanted items that you really don't want to put into the landfill? check it out!

Might be best for you to participate in the forums a bit before asking for handouts.

Have a heart, dude! Three posts isn't so much either...

Have a heart, dude! Three posts isn't so much either...

I wouldn't think of it as a handout, but a hand forward...I barely make rent these days...

I barely make rent these days...

Then you do not *NEED* a GPS unit, which will still cost you money in the form of batteries, either disposable or rechargeable...or do you want that free, too? Are you posting via computer on the internet from HOME? If so...you're not that bad off... :)

I barely make rent these days...

Then you do not *NEED* a GPS unit, which will still cost you money in the form of batteries, either disposable or rechargeable...or do you want that free, too? Are you posting via computer on the internet from HOME? If so...you're not that bad off... :(

Geez people, all they are asking if you happen to have an old GPS collecting dust if they could have it for free instead of dumping it in the garbage. If I had one sitting around, I'd give it to someone who asked even if said person made $100K a year. Freecycling is meant to reduce waste (especially of hazardous waste like electronics), and lots of people do it regardless of income

Sorry Homeworkclub, I don't have an old GPS sitting around though :lol:

:) We are a very poor family home childcare that would like to obtain a GPS. We have been using google maps to identify the location, but it would be nice to educate the children on how a GPS works.

This sounds like a great activity for the kids enrolled in the childcare. I hope you can get something going with splashy on a GPS.

Maybe not so much in THIS specific example, but a lot of this hippie freecycle is just BS. I live in a liberal, hippy la la area of Arizona and it's basically just a way to get free sh^t. See it all the time amongst the dred wearing goat walkers... Yet they ALWAYS seem to have money for pot. :wub:

It's like that episode of The Goode Family where that whacked out freecycle hippie was "finding" a use for every piece of garbage salted his food with his own tears. :)

Maybe not so much in THIS specific example, but a lot of this hippie freecycle is just BS. I live in a liberal, hippy la la area of Arizona and it's basically just a way to get free sh^t. See it all the time amongst the dred wearing goat walkers... Yet they ALWAYS seem to have money for pot. :wub:

It's like that episode of The Goode Family where that whacked out freecycle hippie was "finding" a use for every piece of garbage salted his food with his own tears. :)

What difference does it make? It's not like they're asking you to pay your tax dollars for this, if people want to exchange stuff for free it shouldn't make any difference to you. Anyway, this site is about geocaching, not politics, and I already said I didn't have a free GPS, so enough on this thread for me...

Maybe not so much in THIS specific example, but a lot of this hippie freecycle is just BS. I live in a liberal, hippy la la area of Arizona and it's basically just a way to get free sh^t. See it all the time amongst the dred wearing goat walkers... Yet they ALWAYS seem to have money for pot. :)

What difference does it make? It's not like they're asking you to pay your tax dollars for this

Oh really? A lot of these types ARE on the tax dole so they can "live" their lifestyle. But, you can ignore this since you don't want to talk about it, right? :wub:

i think this thread is going the same way as the one from over a week ago when people assumed that a legitimate member was someone else

stop assuming people, if you don't care to help refrain from replying, at least not with unfounded assumptions and hurtful comments...neither one of us knows this person so unless someone can prove they are lying we should treat them with compassion

like ocm_ott said, what's the difference?...would you rather toss it in the garbage than handing it over to someone that can use it, regardless of their financial situation?

Edited by t4e

Its amazing how a simple request can bring forth everything from freeloading hippies to Glen Beck. It brings to mind the words of the immortal George Carlin, if beggars are not choosers you will end up with a lot of junk. So if all the OP can find is junk here, I would look elsewhere.

Since the OP is from the South Bay, he might post a request through the classified section of the Geocachers of the Bay Area forums.. I gave away a GPSr in great condition through that forum just two weeks ago. He might not get a response, but I doubt if we would rant at him.

Edited by mulvaney

It brings to mind the words of the immortal George Carlin, if beggars are not choosers you will end up with a lot of junk. So if all the OP can find is junk here, I would look elsewhere.

So, whatever happened to "Beggars CAN'T be choosers"? The don't get to have the choice of not ending up with a lot of junk. :)

:) Thank you everyone. I appreciate the discussion, but its not worth fighting over. I really appreciate all the help I can get to help the kids I have. They are all here because of something that wrenched their parents apart, sometimes even abuse. I am a single parent myself, of now grown kids, smart, beautiful, and going on to college. This activity has been a good one for us to pick up this summer since it hasn't cost us (since we use google maps). And it is one the children can take with them when they grow up. I myself has been hit by the economy, tried to change my career to be a teacher, then there are no jobs for teachers! Thank you for your generosity and support. I have freecycled many things myself, and have not met anyone that looked like they were anything but upstanding and well employed here in silicon valley. Hope to meet you all one day. I have also looked at the Geocachers of the Bay Area...thanks for the link. I hadn't come across that yet.
I have freecycled many things myself, and have not met anyone that looked like they were anything but upstanding and well employed here in silicon valley. Hope to meet you all one day. I have also looked at the Geocachers of the Bay Area...thanks for the link. I hadn't come across that yet.

Been doing freecycle myself for 2 years and I don't have a pony tail, own Birkenstocks and I think George Bush was too liberal. Got rid lots of stuff, some of which I would have had to pay to dispose of. It is amazing what people will take.

Anyway, if nobody else has come through, send me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

Thats the same i wrote, but I didn't get the answer I asked for, seems a commercial childcare center for less fortunate children.

If this is a legit *business*, then they can get money for a GPS and don't have to play "beggar in a 3rd world country". Hell, they probably qualify for more grants and tax breaks than we could ever dream of as a DAY CARE, but...have they even applied for those grants? The educational ones? A GPS "class" should EASILY suffice and then they could buy ones on the state. er...um...TAXPAYER. :unsure:

I need more info than a website as an answer.

Exactly. :blink:

This thread has jumped the rails and I don't forsee it getting better.

Moderator reminder: cool it with the name calling and attacks. The request is probably better off (without all the aspects that make this thread bad) in the Garage Sale group anyway. Closing this thread.