GPSMAP 62s

I have to admit that I’m really struggling with my new GPSMAP 62s. Maybe some of you have been as well and have solutions. Here is what I have:

GPSMAP 62s: 2.40

Mapsource: 6.16.2

GSAK: 7.7.2.56 [corrected]

I do a PQ and filter the results through GSAK and then use the GPS link at the top to send “waypoints” to the unit. This produces a single file (geocaches.gpx) which is loaded into the subdirectory GPSMAP 62/garmin/GPX/ in the unit and it contains all of the caches from the GSAK file.

I have tried to use GSAK to send the file to Mapsource. With Mapsource I can load the file (with less information, e.g., no logs) into the unit. However, when I try to send the information from the unit back to Mapsource, I get an error stating there are no waypoints on the GPS.

I have not found a way to delete any cache on the unit without linking it to the computer and going in and deleting the geocaches.gpx file (i.e., removing all of the caches in the unit). Even this will not delete the found caches. The only way I've been able to delete found caches from the unit is to re-log each found cache on the unit to “not found” and then delete the geocaches.gpx file, which again removes all of the caches from the unit.

All of this is driving me nuts! :):P I wish I never lost my GPSMAP 60Csx. Anyone else having these problems and more importantly, any solutions???

Edited by Sierra Rat

I have to admit that I’m really struggling with my new GPSMAP 62s. Maybe some of you have been as well and have solutions. Here is what I have:

GSAK: 7.7.2.65

Try version 7.7.3 of GSAK; Clyde has introduced a number of fixes as of late for the newest Garmin models. There was no GSAK version 7.7.2.65 so maybe you meant 7.7.2.56? Not sure if that will fix your problem but can't hurt. Also might want to ask on the GSAK message boards as well -- www.gsak.net

GSAK: 7.7.2.65

Try version 7.7.3 of GSAK; Clyde has introduced a number of fixes as of late for the newest Garmin models. There was no GSAK version 7.7.2.65 so maybe you meant 7.7.2.56? Not sure if that will fix your problem but can't hurt. Also might want to ask on the GSAK message boards as well -- www.gsak.net

Thanks for the reply. Did I also mention that I tend to be dyslectic?? :) Yes the GSAK version is 7.7.2.56

Well... I don't know how much you want to curtail the info sent to the unit and I am new to the 62 same as you but with the latest version of GSAK you can now choose the 62 in the GPS Setup and when you send the gpx file you have an array of options like the number of logs and others.

As far as deleting caches... your stuck. The only way is to delete the .gpx file off the unit, sort out found caches and send a fresh gpx back to unit. This will also delete your "Found" caches. It's just the way it works. If you don't want to go through all of that... go get a 60 or pre-Colorado unit.

As far as deleting caches... your stuck. The only way is to delete the .gpx file off the unit, sort out found caches and send a fresh gpx back to unit. This will also delete your "Found" caches. It's just the way it works. If you don't want to go through all of that... go get a 60 or pre-Colorado unit.

Yep, I already use that GSAK feature. As to the being able to delete the found caches and/or single caches, I guess for the time being I'm stuck. But if the marketing people at Garmin are attune to us geocachers, they should be working on a software fix to allow deletion of found caches and/or individual caches. Thanks for the info, sometimes I'm a little more than obtuse and I can't find simple solutions, so thanks for verifying that other than as you have stated there is no way to delete these entries.

Yep, I already use that GSAK feature. As to the being able to delete the found caches and/or single caches, I guess for the time being I'm stuck. But if the marketing people at Garmin are attune to us geocachers, they should be working on a software fix to allow deletion of found caches and/or individual caches. Thanks for the info, sometimes I'm a little more than obtuse and I can't find simple solutions, so thanks for verifying that other than as you have stated there is no way to delete these entries.

Have you tried to delete single caches from your device's installed PQ within BaseCamp? Works on Oregon x50 models....

Have you tried to delete single caches from your device's installed PQ within BaseCamp? Works on Oregon x50 models....

The Colorado/Oregon/Dakota series has been like this for years, don't expect Garmin to change. We just keep overwriting the GPX with a fresh one. However, you need to delete all waypoints (not gc's) from the machine first as they get recreated when the GPX is first read. Also, not sure if it's a problem with the 62, but the Colorado and Oregon hang if you put a big GPX file on it (restart and it works fine)

N.B. you'll find a file called "geocachevists.txt" on your machine, this is the list of all the caches you've found/dnf'd. You can upload this file directly to geocaching.com if you're a premium member, which makes logging much, much easier

Yes - it works OK. It must change the GPX file and resave it. It's irreversible though.

The Colorado/Oregon/Dakota series has been like this for years, don't expect Garmin to change. We just keep overwriting the GPX with a fresh one. However, you need to delete all waypoints (not gc's) from the machine first as they get recreated when the GPX is first read. Also, not sure if it's a problem with the 62, but the Colorado and Oregon hang if you put a big GPX file on it (restart and it works fine)

N.B. you'll find a file called "geocachevists.txt" on your machine, this is the list of all the caches you've found/dnf'd. You can upload this file directly to geocaching.com if you're a premium member, which makes logging much, much easier

I miss my GPSMAP 60CSx :P (sob). But given a price difference of about $60, I though I would go with the latest technology. I didn't know about the Colorado/Oregon/Dakota GPSs. I have only had the 60 and an Etrex.

There are definitely things I like better about the 62, but things I really miss about the 60 too. I down loaded BaseCamp and played around with it for a while, but have not used it to load the GPS. Actually, other than to check out locations on the map, I haven't used Mapsource lately either, just GSAK to filter out caches I don't what to look for (too many DNFs etc.).

I did find the geocache_visits.txt file and tried emptying it to see if that would get rid of the found cache list. I'm really curious how up-loading this file to geocaching. com works. Is there some "how-to-reference" on-line I can look at or is it really simple. I'm not sure where I would up-load it to.

Thanks to everyone for their help and information.

Sierra Rat

Edited by Sierra Rat

I miss my GPSMAP 60CSx :P (sob). But given a price difference of about $60, I though I would go with the latest technology. I didn't know about the Colorado/Oregon/Dakota GPSs. I have only had the 60 and an Etrex.

There are definitely things I like better about the 62, but things I really miss about the 60 too. I down loaded BaseCamp and played around with it for a while, but have not used it to load the GPS. Actually, other than to check out locations on the map, I haven't used Mapsource lately either, just GSAK to filter out caches I don't what to look for (too many DNFs etc.).

I did find the geocache_visits.txt file and tried emptying it to see if that would get rid of the found cache list. I'm really curious how up-loading this file to geocaching. com works. Is there some "how-to-reference" on-line I can look at or is it really simple. I'm not sure where I would up-load it to.

Thanks to everyone for their help and information.

Sierra Rat

The file is your fieldnotes file. In GC.com, click on your account name at the top left, then click on "Access Your Field Notes". Follow the instructions for Colorado and Oregon machines, and you'll be prompted to upload the file. After that, you'll be presented with your finds and a "Compose Log" Button. The log page for each cache will be prepopulated with any comments you entered while in the field, plus the correct log type will already be selected. After doing the upload, they recommend you clear out the caches from the fille that you've already done.

GSAK: 7.7.2.56 [corrected]

I do a PQ and filter the results through GSAK and then use the GPS link at the top to send “waypoints” to the unit. This produces a single file (geocaches.gpx) which is loaded into the subdirectory GPSMAP 62/garmin/GPX/ in the unit and it contains all of the caches from the GSAK file.

I have tried to use GSAK to send the file to Mapsource. With Mapsource I can load the file (with less information, e.g., no logs) into the unit. However, when I try to send the information from the unit back to Mapsource, I get an error stating there are no waypoints on the GPS.

I have not found a way to delete any cache on the unit without linking it to the computer and going in and deleting the geocaches.gpx file (i.e., removing all of the caches in the unit). Even this will not delete the found caches. The only way I've been able to delete found caches from the unit is to re-log each found cache on the unit to “not found” and then delete the geocaches.gpx file, which again removes all of the caches from the unit.

All of this is driving me nuts! :(:lol: I wish I never lost my GPSMAP 60Csx. Anyone else having these problems and more importantly, any solutions???

Since you are using GSAK, why not just export a specific file for Mapsource [CTRL-U]? Why use the same .gpx file? Is there something specific in the .gpx (.xml) file that you can't get with the MapSource specific format?

I don't think there is a way of deleting the cache from the unit itself. The Oregons have the same "feature". I am guessing it's because the caches are basically custom poi information instead of the way the 60 series treated the caches. This "feature" isn't a big deal for me because I clear the file automatically before loading. At the download to unit screen, there is an option to clear the existing file before reuploading the new caches. Now some people are still going to have issues with this, you might possibly loose your fieldnotes with this if you don't upload them first. Each to their own but it doesn't bother me (yet!) :lol:

Edited by Roarmeister

Since you are using GSAK, why not just export a specific file for Mapsource [CTRL-U]? Why use the same .gpx file? Is there something specific in the .gpx (.xml) file that you can't get with the MapSource specific format?

I don't think there is a way of deleting the cache from the unit itself. The Oregons have the same "feature". I am guessing it's because the caches are basically custom poi information instead of the way the 60 series treated the caches. This "feature" isn't a big deal for me because I clear the file automatically before loading. At the download to unit screen, there is an option to clear the existing file before reuploading the new caches. Now some people are still going to have issues with this, you might possibly loose your fieldnotes with this if you don't upload them first. Each to their own but it doesn't bother me (yet!) :(

You do lose information in the Mapsource format, the cache description and logs. You definitely want the GPX to do paperless caching.

I don't think there is a way of deleting the cache from the unit itself. The Oregons have the same "feature". I am guessing it's because the caches are basically custom poi information instead of the way the 60 series treated the caches. This "feature" isn't a big deal for me because I clear the file automatically before loading. At the download to unit screen, there is an option to clear the existing file before reuploading the new caches. Now some people are still going to have issues with this, you might possibly loose your fieldnotes with this if you don't upload them first. Each to their own but it doesn't bother me (yet!) :blink:

You do lose information in the Mapsource format, the cache description and logs. You definitely want the GPX to do paperless caching.

OK, understood the part about the Mapsource format. What I don't understand is what Mapsource has to do with paperless caching - is the OP lugging his laptop around to upload files to his GPSr??? GSAK does quite fine with the exports to the receiver without using Mapsource as a go-between software AND works quite fine for paperless caching. Mapsource need not even exist or be used for anything related to paperless caching - period! So I don't understand the point you are making.

If the purpose of th OP was in using Mapsource was to export files in a format so that he could then experiment with deleting his caches when on the road, that I might understand. However, that misses the point - the 62/78/Oregon's don't treat caches the same way that they did on the older 60 series and Garmin isn't going to change that. They would have done it 2 years ago if they wanted.

I go back to my original point in my first message. There is an option to clear the .gpx file in the dialog box before uploading a fresh set of caches. Once checked, you never worry about it again. And you will never have to manually delete the .gpx file EVER!

I don't think there is a way of deleting the cache from the unit itself. The Oregons have the same "feature". I am guessing it's because the caches are basically custom poi information instead of the way the 60 series treated the caches. This "feature" isn't a big deal for me because I clear the file automatically before loading. At the download to unit screen, there is an option to clear the existing file before re-uploading the new caches. Now some people are still going to have issues with this, you might possibly loose your fieldnotes with this if you don't upload them first. Each to their own but it doesn't bother me (yet!) :blink:

OK, understood the part about the Mapsource format. What I don't understand is what Mapsource has to do with paperless caching - is the OP lugging his laptop around to upload files to his GPSr??? GSAK does quite fine with the exports to the receiver without using Mapsource as a go-between software AND works quite fine for paperless caching. Mapsource need not even exist or be used for anything related to paperless caching - period! So I don't understand the point you are making.

If the purpose of th OP was in using Mapsource was to export files in a format so that he could then experiment with deleting his caches when on the road, that I might understand. However, that misses the point - the 62/78/Oregon's don't treat caches the same way that they did on the older 60 series and Garmin isn't going to change that. They would have done it 2 years ago if they wanted.

I go back to my original point in my first message. There is an option to clear the .gpx file in the dialog box before uploading a fresh set of caches. Once checked, you never worry about it again. And you will never have to manually delete the .gpx file EVER!

Humm, in my original post I never said anything about paperless caching, so I don't know where that came from. I originally had an etrex and then went to the GPSMAP 60. Using these GPSr, I developed a system where I would use GSAK to load caches for a weekend. I would come home at night load MapSource with the caches from the unit and sort by icon. I would use the found icons as a basis to log my finds. I would then use the feature on the 60 to delete all of the found icons so I wouldn't be confused about which caches I would find the next day. What I was trying to achieve with the 62 was the same thing and could not find a way to directly delete those found icons from the unit. It might not have been efficient, but for over 4 1/2 years it was a system that worked for me. The 62 works differently and I needed to understand it (the manual for the unit is pretty usless) to figure out how to work a system for this new unit. No, I don't carry a laptop around, I don't have a laptop or even a need for one. I think to much has been inferred into my original query. To those who have provided help, I greatly thank you as this has help me to better understand how the unit works. Those of you with Oregons and/or Colorados were already there, however I was just one tech generation behind and looking for help.

Edited by Sierra Rat

The 62 works differently and I needed to understand it (the manual for the unit is pretty usless) to figure out how to work a system for this new unit.

Useless manuals is a Garmin hallmark :blink:

You might find the Colorado/Oregon/Dakota wikis useful. These units (and now the Map62) all share the same software and features (tailored slightly for each unit). Most of the gotchas/oddities/faqs that apply to one apply to the others as well. To be honest, I think Garmin really confused things by calling this unit a GPS Map 6x instead of just naming it like their other new units. It makes people think that it should work like a Map 60.

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/

http://garmindakota.wikispaces.com/

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Edited by ocm_ott

Useless manuals is a Garmin hallmark :laughing:

You might find the Colorado/Oregon/Dakota wikis useful. These units (and now the Map62) all share the same software and features (tailored slightly for each unit). Most of the gotchas/oddities/faqs that apply to one apply to the others as well. To be honest, I think Garmin really confused things by calling this unit a GPS Map 6x instead of just naming it like their other new units. It makes people think that it should work like a Map 60.

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/

http://garmindakota.wikispaces.com/

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Hi ocm_ott,

I think you are exactly right about the naming convention. I figured I could get the "new and improved" 62 with new bells and whistles and not be on the bottom end of the learning curve because I already knew how to use the 60 :( Oh well, as they say, the best laid plans of men and rats, err, mice :laughing: . Thanks for the helpful feedback and the wiki links.

Edited by Sierra Rat