Gear you mite want to pick up

My buddy of mine came across these neat little Hydration packs with many little pockets for your Geocaching Gear and it works great. I've been using it for like 6 months now and I don't leave home with out it while on my Geocaching adventures. it has a interal badder that holds 2L of water which you can add ice too for those hot days and the way its desighned the water keeps your back cool. three deep pocket and a netting that come out and hooks to the top to hold even more stuff. its called a high sierra Hydration pack here is a quick image of one to check out bellow.

Happy Geohunting and be safe

Wolfcat

1520062.jpg

Edited by wolfcatsden

My buddy of mine came across these neat little Hydration packs with many little pockets for your Geocaching Gear and it works great. I've been using it for like 6 months now and I don't leave home with out it while on my Geocaching adventures. it has a interal badder that holds 2L of water which you can add ice too for those hot days and the way its desighned the water keeps your back cool. three deep pocket and a netting that come out and hooks to the top to hold even more stuff. its called a high sierra Hydration pack here is a quick image of one to check out bellow.

Wolfcat

1520062.jpg

Never mind. ;-)

Thanks.

Edited by Team Cotati

Save money. Hike near water. That's what I do.

Unfortunately if I drank the water I hiked by, I'd get one or more of the following:

Anaemia

Arsenicosis

Ascariasis

Botulism

Campylobacteriosis

Cholera

Cryptosporiodiosis

Cyanobacterial toxins

Dengue

Diarrhoea

Dracunculiasis

Fluorosis

Giardiasis

Hepatitis

Hookworm infection

Japanese encephalitis

Lead poisoning

Legionellosis

Leptospirosis

Lymphatic filariasis

Malaria

Malnutrition

Methaemoglobinemia

Onchocerciasis

Polio

Ring Worm or Tinea

Scabies

Schistomiasis

Trachoma

Trichuriasis

Typhoid

I've inherited a backpack capable of housing a hydration bladder, I just never invested the 15 dollars in getting one :) So I just bring my 2x 2 liter bottles of water lol.

Unfortunately if I drank the water I hiked by, I'd get one or more of the following:

Anaemia

Arsenicosis

Ascariasis

Botulism

Campylobacteriosis

Cholera

Cryptosporiodiosis

Cyanobacterial toxins

Dengue

Diarrhoea

Dracunculiasis

Fluorosis

Giardiasis

Hepatitis

Hookworm infection

Japanese encephalitis

Lead poisoning

Legionellosis

Leptospirosis

Lymphatic filariasis

Malaria

Malnutrition

Methaemoglobinemia

Onchocerciasis

Polio

Ring Worm or Tinea

Scabies

Schistomiasis

Trachoma

Trichuriasis

Typhoid

I've inherited a backpack capable of housing a hydration bladder, I just never invested the 15 dollars in getting one :) So I just bring my 2x 2 liter bottles of water lol.

Yeah, it amazes me how man was able to survive at all before filtered and bottled water.

Don't tell anyone but those hydration bladders make people sick too because cleaning them properly is a chore.

Yeah, it amazes me how man was able to survive at all before filtered and bottled water.

I stress the part where I specifically mentioned the water I hike by... I can probably safely assume our urban aqueduct water is a TAD worst than actual creek and spring water in Oregon lol.

I stress the part where I specifically mentioned the water I hike by... I can probably safely assume our urban aqueduct water is a TAD worst than actual creek and spring water in Oregon lol.

You might be right

:)

I've been using a CamelBack for years. It is great for hiking and biking.

Yeah same here.

How many times have you been made sick from drinking out of the thing?

Zero.

I've had mine for years, and I rarely clean them, just empty and thoroughly air dry.

Yup, got a bent coat hanger to put the bladder on to keep it open for drying after I return from hiking/camping. Take the bite-bit off the tube before hanging to dry. Never got sick. No funny taste to the water and smells ok, too.

I haven't known anyone to get sick from a camelback. But I do know someone who got sick (permanantly) from drinking river/creek water.

Yeah, me neither.

But you know,just check'in:

"Don't tell anyone but those hydration bladders make people sick too because cleaning them properly is a chore."

I haven't known anyone to get sick from a camelback. But I do know someone who got sick (permanantly) from drinking river/creek water.

Yeah, me neither.

But you know,just check'in:

"Don't tell anyone but those hydration bladders make people sick too because cleaning them properly is a chore."

I got it the first time around. :)

Don't tell anyone but those hydration bladders make people sick too because cleaning them properly is a chore.

Probably explains the 40 year life expectancy back then, eh?

Most people who get a little sick in the tummy don't connect it to the water they drink. It's always "something I ate".

I know someone who got sick from drinking "stored" water. It can ruin a good time.

That's all I was sayin...

P.S. There have been lots of studies on the germs left on and in reusable containers. There was often more microbes there than on a public toilet seat.

After buying a few Wally World hydration packs that look very similar to the one pictured, I bit the bullet and purchased a CamelBak. I look back now, several years and gobs of swamp tromping miles later, and see it as one of my better investments. If memory serves, it has never been cleaned, and I have never gotten any ill effects from drinking its water. There is some kind of green looking funk growing near where the hose meets the bladder. My wife freaks out when she sees it, so I tell her I'm growing some awesome antibodies. :o

I was recently issued another CamelBak, a military grade version which I use at work.

Well whaddya know. We agree on something. :P

I carry goode olde wide mouth disposable water bottles, and hike near running water when backpacking.

When the water bottle are empty, I fill 'em up with this: (except it's an older model than this)

katadynfilter.gif

I wilderness hiked without filtration for 12 of the 25 years I've neen doing it without getting sick, but I spent the money on the filter after I did a 12,000ft pass that had completely dried up and had to hump my water for miles.

Here's a little known thang that was taught to me by a real live mountain man.... Above about 8500ft there are few(er) pollutants. If you drink well above where horses/people cross in fast running water, you have a good chance of being safe. Think of it as russian roulette with a hundred chambered revolver. ;) It worked for me when I was young and stupid. :o

Forget cleaning your hydration packs... just toss the clean empty (doesn't need to be bone dry) bladder in your freezer when not in use. I read about this method about four years ago and our pack bladders have been in the freezer since... zero issues with funk in them. I also refrain from putting any kind of drink mix in them most of the time. At any rate, this freezer method works great and you don't need to fuss with drying/cleaning if you stick with it.

Edited by somegeek

Forget cleaning your hydration packs... just toss the clean empty (doesn't need to be bone dry) bladder in your freezer when not in use. I read about this method about four years ago and our pack bladders have been in the freezer since... zero issues with funk in them. I also refrain from putting any kind of drink mix in them most of the time. At any rate, this freezer method works great and you don't need to fuss with drying/cleaning if you stick with it.

I might have to try the freezer method sometime. I'm assuming you take the tube off so ice doesn't crack any ring or valve?

And I second the no flavors/mixes. Not even Elixir, which claims to be designed for camelbaks.

A few years ago when I was training at Ft Sam Houston (San Antonio, TX), there was a camelbak on discount at Clothing & Sales. I used that on our weekend passes to hold wine or liquor for our weekend excursions into the city. Consequently, I don't remember the second half of many of the movies we went to see.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

Well whaddya know. We agree on something. :o

I carry goode olde wide mouth disposable water bottles, and hike near running water when backpacking.

When the water bottle are empty, I fill 'em up with this: (except it's an older model than this)

katadynfilter.gif

I wilderness hiked without filtration for 12 of the 25 years I've neen doing it without getting sick, but I spent the money on the filter after I did a 12,000ft pass that had completely dried up and had to hump my water for miles.

I also carry a katadyn filter on long hikes and love it. You can filter almost any water other than sewage.

I might have to try the freezer method sometime. I'm assuming you take the tube off so ice doesn't crack any ring or valve?

And I second the no flavors/mixes. Not even Elixir, which claims to be designed for camelbaks.

A few years ago when I was training at Ft Sam Houston (San Antonio, TX), there was a camelbak on discount at Clothing & Sales. I used that on our weekend passes to hold wine or liquor for our weekend excursions into the city. Consequently, I don't remember the second half of many of the movies we went to see.

haha, funny you should mention. i have a buddy who does gatorade and vodka in his. its a death mix.

ive been looking to get one of these too, a few weeks back woot actually had them on sale for $20. sadly i didnt have an extra $20 to spare :o

...Don't tell anyone but those hydration bladders make people sick too because cleaning them properly is a chore.

Interesting statement. Got a source for that?

I've been using the same bladder since 1997 in my Camelbak, and haven't gotten sick. I've thought about cleaning it with the kit I bought at the same time as the pack, but never have. So far, so good. :o

I like my Camelbak but I prefer to carry a Travel Tap. This is a plastic water bottle with an inbuilt filter so you can pick up water from anywhere (rivers, horse troughs, ditches etc) and not worry about getting ill :D

Use one of these myself. What I typically do is collect water from any source straight into a bladder, then transfer when needed into the travel tap, very handy when away from any source of water.

BUT if you want a simpler solution the inline filter by the same company will allow you to fill your camelbak's from any source then drink fresh, clean water as you normally would with no hassle at all.

Wolfcat

1520062.jpg

This is the inconsistency about these forums I get a kick out of. Someone with only 2 posts, presumably zero posts before this thread, posts a picture of a very cool backpack, branded and everything, saying you must get this baby.

However passive it may be, ISN'T THIS ADVERTISING?

All I ask for is consistency.

Anaemia

I've inherited a backpack capable of housing a hydration bladder, I just never invested the 15 dollars in getting one :D So I just bring my 2x 2 liter bottles of water lol.

I just make sure it dries properly after each use. I have used the same one for about 15 years, and have never had a problem. Platypus packs claim to resist bacterial growth, so maybe that is why.

Edit to add: while humans may have survived, they did have a shorter life expectancy, and lived in less dense populations.

Edited by Andronicus

Forget the hydration pack it looks too hot , cumbersome and a bit geeky lol. Bring a Nalgene bottle and strap it to you somewhere. When I go canoeing into Canadian wilderness I take along an MSR Miniworks Microfilter which is designed to fit wide mouthed Nalgenes. This is great if you have a relatively clean water supply like a lake nearby. Id never use it in swampy or shallow water where animals do there business or die in. After the water is filtered which takes a minute of pumping for a liter you have clean clear h2o andit enables you to pack light.

Forget the hydration pack it looks too hot , cumbersome and a bit geeky lol. Bring a Nalgene bottle and strap it to you somewhere. When I go canoeing into Canadian wilderness I take along an MSR Miniworks Microfilter which is designed to fit wide mouthed Nalgenes. This is great if you have a relatively clean water supply like a lake nearby. Id never use it in swampy or shallow water where animals do there business or die in. After the water is filtered which takes a minute of pumping for a liter you have clean clear h2o andit enables you to pack light.

And a Nalgene swinging around, banging you in the side, and flopping with every step doesn't look geeky? :(

Having used them for the last 13 or 14 years, I can say from experience that hydration packs are wonderful. A decent one has room for water, snacks, first aid kit, etc., and is a great way to carry the items you need to keep with you on a hike/bike ride.

They're easy to carry, a good place to keep things you'll need every time you go out, and last a long time (at least the quality ones). Win win!

And walking around staring at a GPS doesn't look geeky? Who cares?? But anyway, those little filters are pretty darn cool. I love taking them camping.

As for cumbersome-ness (is that a word?) or not. On long hikes I definitely prefer the camelbak, on short hikes, I'll put a Nalgene into my day pack. I find the nalgene to be a lot more cumbersome than the camelbak when it comes down to it. Suppose it's a matter of personal preference.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

You can get hydration packs with that same sized opening (my Blackhawk for example). I supose that filter would work withthem as well.

it gets 100+ degrees here, so i freeze 80 of the water in the bag and top it off before we go out for a hike for the day, have a built in AC unit sitting on my back for most of the day.

Any of the Camelbak users here have any knowledge of either the Alpine Explorer or the Fourteener?

Looking for a day pack for light/medium hiking to carry caching swag, replacement kit stuff, light tools of the trade :anibad:, TB's, some food, first aid stuff and an extra pair of socks or 2. Plus anything else I may want to throw at it, but nothing too big or heavy.

I'm looking to see if there are compartments in those that can separate some of the stuff. Trying to find a B&M that carries them so I can see them. Don't really want to stuff everything into 1 big pocket. They both have decent reviews and look to be decent enough for caching.

Any of the Camelbak users here have any knowledge of either the Alpine Explorer or the Fourteener?

Looking for a day pack for light/medium hiking to carry caching swag, replacement kit stuff, light tools of the trade :anibad:, TB's, some food, first aid stuff and an extra pair of socks or 2. Plus anything else I may want to throw at it, but nothing too big or heavy.

I'm looking to see if there are compartments in those that can separate some of the stuff. Trying to find a B&M that carries them so I can see them. Don't really want to stuff everything into 1 big pocket. They both have decent reviews and look to be decent enough for caching.

I think the moment you step away from the 'bladder and minimalist compartment' which Camelbak does really well you are better off including any day pack from any brand that fits your back and is hydration compatible.

You will likely get a better fit and perhaps a cheaper price.

I think the moment you step away from the 'bladder and minimalist compartment' which Camelbak does really well you are better off including any day pack from any brand that fits your back and is hydration compatible.

You will likely get a better fit and perhaps a cheaper price.

Understood. My concern was the build quality. I have seen other brands and I was not overly impressed. Thanks for the input, I will keep looking...