Viewranger on iPhone

Hello all

Wonder if any of you out there have used Viewranger? I've recently started using iPhone (3GS) for caching. Initially downloaded the Groundspeak app which is all well and good but, on my phone at least, drinks battery life, is slow and hangs a lot. My mum introduced me to Geosphere which I'm a bit in love with and have been using with a smile on my face for the last week or so.

Next step then - something with decent maps - OS maps.

I found Viewranger which allows me to download 1:50 000 and 1:25:000 OS maps for the whole of GB and 1:50 000 for most of Ireland (big chunks of the north not yet supported but that seems to be a common problem with OS style maps?). Anyway. That all works like a dream but where I'm stuck is on how to download GPX files to make it all seamless and beautiful.

Have followed the instructions with the app - turn on wifi and then go to a website - but with no success :) .

Don't suppose anyone out there knows how to do it?

Different phone, but same app.

For an example:

Find this cache on your mobile browser

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...66-9731fefd9e64

Click on "GPX file" (it should tell you where it is saved to - I'm unfamiliar with the Iphones exact workings)

Find the viewranger directory file. Then find the where the GPX file was downloaded to. Move the GPX file into the viewranger directory.

Open viewranger

go to options > data manager > myPOIs >options > Import/Export > Import POIs > (GPX file)

Have you guys figured it out? Took me a while. Unlike my old Symbian phone, which allowed direct access to files in the phone's memory my new iPhone only allows the viewRanger app to move the files. Instructions are here: http://www.viewranger.com/manuals/ViewRanger_iPhone_manual.pdf. For whatever reason you have to use a wireless connection, there's no wired alternative. The instructions take you through finding the details you will need to enter into your browser to 'see' your iPhone from your computer, and you can then move maps, icon or GPX files (containing tracks or routes) from your computer to your iPhone or vice-versa. Post back if you need more help ....

Have you guys figured it out? Took me a while. Unlike my old Symbian phone, which allowed direct access to files in the phone's memory my new iPhone only allows the viewRanger app to move the files. Instructions are here: http://www.viewranger.com/manuals/ViewRanger_iPhone_manual.pdf. For whatever reason you have to use a wireless connection, there's no wired alternative. The instructions take you through finding the details you will need to enter into your browser to 'see' your iPhone from your computer, and you can then move maps, icon or GPX files (containing tracks or routes) from your computer to your iPhone or vice-versa. Post back if you need more help ....

You can't use the iTunes trick? (Sync, pick phone, pick Apps tab from top - not left - scroll down to apps, find Viewranger, hit add files)

I don't have Viewranger but that's how other apps do it.

Not all iPhone apps copy files through iTunes. I've run into a few that just support file transfers the same way ViewRanger does.

Ouch. I sure wouldn't want to download a GB of info on my iPhone directly. Had enough pain just trying to install Infinity Blade over WiFi. I've been using Motion X for my OSM maps.

Looking at the Viewfinder website though, they do advertise iTunes File Copying in a recent update. You might want to look again.

You're right. The webpage lists this feature for the current version.

Even with that useful feature though, I'm not sure I'd use ViewRanger -- looks expensive for what you get. Unless it has some app features or maps that I need (and couldn't get elsewhere for le$$)?

Have you used it? What appeals?

You're right. The webpage lists this feature for the current version.

Even with that useful feature though, I'm not sure I'd use ViewRanger -- looks expensive for what you get. Unless it has some app features or maps that I need (and couldn't get elsewhere for le$$)?

Have you used it? What appeals?

Me, no I'm doing just fine with Trailbehind's free topo product, and GPS Motion X (which gives the same "open maps" data).

I don't see a compelling reason to give Viewranger any of my money, particularly as they don't list Canada as a map data set that's available. I might be tempted in the UK though, as they offer up Ordinance Survey maps over there.

ViewRanger still seems pricey for Ordnance Survey Maps. I'd at least look at what else is out there. Outside Maps has been updated very recently and it's free. There are hundreds of OSM products.

Isn't funny how Apple's "closed" market for the iDevices has so much choice compared to those available from the dedicated GPS manufacturers?

Edited by Portland Cyclist