62s Lighter plug-in?

They power through the USB port. Any USB cable will work as long as you put the unit into "spanner" mode. Any Garmin cable such as the correct one for the unit or for other units like Nuvis will power it up in regular mode.

At coffee today, I was told that spanner mode was new to version 2.40 of the firmware. I haven't confirmed but if it is the case then the user will have to make sure he upgrades from version 2.30 (out of the box).

I use the iGo system which (depending on what base unit you buy) can be used for 120 or 12v lighter and you buy adapters for various devices. I need three when I travel (mini USB for the GPS, micro for the Droid and a basic one for the Kindle), Instead of carrying 6 adapters (3 for 120 and 3 for 12) I have one setup with three adapters.

It is available at Radio Shack.

What about ram mounts. Looks like the dimensions are a little bigger, does it fit in the 60 mount. Or does ram make the proper mount yet. Hard to find out as even Ram or Garmin's site doesn't seem to have updated all the info.

My 62s should be in on Wednesday

Does not fit the 60 mount.

picked up a lighter plug in today at Walmart and my new GPS is at the local fed ex office. Will hopefully have a report by next week.

The car power cable I had for my 60 works fine with my new 62 ... Be sure to get the 2.4 firmware for the Spanner mode support to make sure though ( check out the gpsmap 62 wiki by gpsfix for details ).

Thanks Redwood. Just dragged the Pocket queries and works great. Think I'm gonna love the extra info right there, especially after climbing a hill last night to only find out the cache was disabled. All those mystery and multi caches will be known right away, not after a relentless search and then arrive home to check to see why I DNF'd. So far I like the autorouting, better than the 60CSX and love the compass, not having to lay it flat. It does squeak a bit, but I think that will go away with time and use. Now to find my first cache with it.

Didn't really fit the 60 ram mount, but it went in the mount tight and I just used elastic to hold it in place. Actually worked well cause it was on my quad and it was a bumpy road. Will buy correct one when they come out, but this works for now. Lighter plug in worked great, but wonder how waterproof that usb connection will be.

What about ram mounts. Looks like the dimensions are a little bigger, does it fit in the 60 mount. Or does ram make the proper mount yet. Hard to find out as even Ram or Garmin's site doesn't seem to have updated all the info.

My 62s should be in on Wednesday

Does not fit the 60 mount.

Hmm, not so sure about that. It depends on your definition of FIT. If I don't put the belt clip attachment on the unit it will fit into the RAM mount for the 60 but it is quite tight. SO I simply don't push it all the way in, it fits close enough not to bounce out when going over rough road. The 62s is just a fraction wider than the 60.

I haven't seen a RAM specific mount for the 62 series yet... and I'm not in a hurry to get one. My 60 series mount works well enough for me.

Heck, Geocaching.com still does not have an option to choose the 62 series as your receiver in your profile yet - and that is just a simple software change whereas RAM has to build the equipment to actually make the new mount!

Edited by Roarmeister