Open Cache Manager - Linux Native cache manager

AZGeek

As a linux user, I know options are limited as far as cache management software goes.

Getting GSAK to run in WINE is "dll hell".

The other day I discovered Open Cache Manager aka OCM.

It's much like GSAK (and the programmer is working on implementing more GSAK-like features).

I wrote a simple overview w/ screenshots on my blog:

http://is.gd/e7Ybk

I should note that I have tried Cache901 but it was too buggy (YMMV) and find that OCM strikes a perfect balance for me.

The OCM home page: http://opencachemanage.sourceforge.net/

Somewhere on here there's a post from the developer announcing the program, but it looks like it's been buried.

But I'll pipe in here also and say that OCM is AMAZING. All those on Linux should give it a try, and ditch Wine!!

Yeah, I found the same post after I posted this...it did get buried

ott_ocm got back to me regarding the B* bungled export. He said the B* output is the prob and that he may contact them regarding it.

So even more props to a responsive dev :o

.18 should be out friday!

Just wanted to say that I started to look at running this on my Asus Eee PC 901 running EEbuntu.

Got hung up by the webkit for csharp requirement.

Frankly, this is the first app I've run into that requires the Microsoft .NET runtime on Linux. The webkit for csharp isn't part of the standard EEbuntu repo, so I haven't pursued it further.

Back to command line scripts wrapping gpsbabel....

Jeff

Just wanted to say that I started to look at running this on my Asus Eee PC 901 running EEbuntu.

Frankly, this is the first app I've run into that requires the Microsoft .NET runtime on Linux. The webkit for csharp isn't part of the standard EEbuntu repo, so I haven't pursued it further.

Jeff

Do you mean eeebuntu as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(operating_system)?

Looks like that's built off of Ubuntu 9.04, which I'm using right now to type this, and with Open Cache Manager running in the background. Somewhere on this forum there's a list of dependencies which are required to run OCM... hold on... here you go: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=252620

Basically, you need the following packages: mono-gmcs, libwebkit1.0-cil, libgtkhtml3.16-cil. On one line:

sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs libwebkit1.0-cil libgtkhtml3.16-cil

If this doesn't work, contact the dev - he's embarrassingly responsive (as in, puts my work ethic to shame!)

EDIT: Just re-read this bit: "The webkit for csharp isn't part of the standard EEbuntu repo". OK, so you con probably ignore my ramblings...

Edited by tiiiim

Jeff

If you can't find libwebkit-1.0-cil from the repositories, you could also build webkit-sharp from it's source, or try the Debian package (http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/webkit-sharp)

There's actually quite a few well-known mono (.NET) based apps like F-Spot, Banshee, and Tomboy notes. There's also alternatives to those apps (and mine) for those who are suspicious about Mono.

Edited by ocm_ott

Anyone tried it on a Mac? Webkit & Mono - both I think have been ported to OS X.

I don't have a Mac so I can't test it. However, webkit actually comes from OS X to linux, as it's actually the part of Safari that Apple open sourced. In theory, it should work if you can find all the matching dependencies. I've also removed the dependency on gtk-html in the latest OCM which might make it easier.

There's no webkit-sharp package built for Windows, so OCM won't run there. I don't have any plans to make OCM run on windows, not that it would be that hard but the support load would be beyond me as a hobbyist in my free time. GSAK is already the best app there is on Windows for Geocaching, and well worth the $25 that Clyde asks for with full time support.

Edited by ocm_ott

Anyone tried it on a Mac? Webkit & Mono - both I think have been ported to OS X.

I don't have a Mac so I can't test it. However, webkit actually comes from OS X to linux, as it's actually the part of Safari that Apple open sourced.

Actually, Webkit sprang from KHTML, the HTML-rendering library created by the KDE project. So in a roundabout way, Webkit's are on Linux, not OS X.

I'll have to grab the source & give it a spin this weekend.

I don't have a Mac so I can't test it. However, webkit actually comes from OS X to linux, as it's actually the part of Safari that Apple open sourced.

Actually, Webkit sprang from KHTML, the HTML-rendering library created by the KDE project. So in a roundabout way, Webkit's are on Linux, not OS X.

I'll have to grab the source & give it a spin this weekend.

You're right, I had forgotten that Konqueror begot Webkit begot Safari thing :(

Let me know how it goes

Edited by ocm_ott

Jeff

Do you mean eeebuntu as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(operating_system)?

Looks like that's built off of Ubuntu 9.04, which I'm using right now to type this, and with Open Cache Manager running in the background. Somewhere on this forum there's a list of dependencies which are required to run OCM... hold on... here you go: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=252620

Basically, you need the following packages: mono-gmcs, libwebkit1.0-cil, libgtkhtml3.16-cil. On one line:

sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs libwebkit1.0-cil libgtkhtml3.16-cil

If this doesn't work, contact the dev - he's embarrassingly responsive (as in, puts my work ethic to shame!)

EDIT: Just re-read this bit: "The webkit for csharp isn't part of the standard EEbuntu repo". OK, so you con probably ignore my ramblings...

Thanks for the apt-get link. I'm sure I did a apt-cache search and came up empty earlier. Using your line, I was able to pull in the required packages from Jaunty.

I'm having some compile issues, though, so I guess I'll send a message to the dev.

Jeff

Compiling on OS X is not going well. Tried to install mono from MacPorts and that got stuck in dependency hell, so I downloaded the pre-built package. That installed OK but compiling OCM requires GTK+ 2.0, which I don't have, and the configure script for that won't recognize gcms (mono's C# compiler), it only wants csc.exe.

Also, OCM was looking for install-sh in /usr/share/automake-1.11 and I have /usr/share/automake-1.10 so I had to fix up that symlink.

Guess I'll try with MonoDevelop next.

Compiling on OS X is not going well. Tried to install mono from MacPorts and that got stuck in dependency hell, so I downloaded the pre-built package. That installed OK but compiling OCM requires GTK+ 2.0, which I don't have, and the configure script for that won't recognize gcms (mono's C# compiler), it only wants csc.exe.

Also, OCM was looking for install-sh in /usr/share/automake-1.11 and I have /usr/share/automake-1.10 so I had to fix up that symlink.

I probably should have recommended the MonoDevelop route first... Just getting MonoDevelop up and running would bring in most of the dependencies you would need (the IDE itself is written in GTK+). The OCM make files are generated at release time from MonoDevelop, but in my day-to-day builds I use the .sln fle, not the autotools make file

I probably should have recommended the MonoDevelop route first... Just getting MonoDevelop up and running would bring in most of the dependencies you would need (the IDE itself is written in GTK+). The OCM make files are generated at release time from MonoDevelop, but in my day-to-day builds I use the .sln fle, not the autotools make file

I've gotten mildly farther with MonoDevelop, but it's missing references to org.freedesktop.DBus and NDesk.DBus. Of course, I can only find tarballs of those, and their configure scripts can't find my mono installation (and don't provide help on how to point them at it). I'd be happy just getting the assemblies but I can't find any precompiled versions.