So with GPSr in hand, I trek out only to...

PalmettoBuckeye

punk out 2 minutes after I get there because two Muggles and a Mugglet decided to plunk themselves 15 feet from the GZ area. :)

I decided to try for this one after I left work. Being that it was flipping hot out plus black storm clouds were quickly gathering on the horizon I figured the park would be empty. It WAS empty, just me and my Garmin. I could practically taste that smilely coming my way. I strode confidently across the park, watching the feet-to-go count go down and honing in on that little cache. And then...thwarted! Two women and a toddler literally walk right up beside me and sit on the bench I was standing next to. I look at them, they look at me. I look down at my Garmin, they stare at me. I contemplate just going for it, one leans towards her friend and whispers "Gawd, could her phone BE any older?" I bail. :P

My husband promises we will go tomorrow but he seems waaaay less enthused then I.

Saturday afternoon can be a difficult time for parks. We've all been in similar situations. Stick with it, and maybe try some in a little less public view.

I think you said you live in Charleston. I did the Fun in the Hamptons caches back in October. For Coney in the Sky I had to back off 4 or 5 times due to people walking on the track. I know at least 1 person walked by me twice and gave me weird looks. I actually had to climb the tree a bit to repair that one. Just try to look like you belong and don't worry what they think. (I know that's easier said then done).

It CAN be a bit awkward if you know the cache is beneath the very bench they're sitting on. I have yet to summon enough courage to go ahead and take a look anyways.

I'm not a morning person, but I've learned that if I want that smiley in that suburban park, I'm going to have to haul myself out of bed very early and arrive at GZ in the gray dawn. The quiet peace and solitude is usually reward enough.

Steady pouring rain is something to take advantage of also.

punk out 2 minutes after I get there because two Muggles and a Mugglet decided to plunk themselves 15 feet from the GZ area. :)

I decided to try for this one after I left work. Being that it was flipping hot out plus black storm clouds were quickly gathering on the horizon I figured the park would be empty. It WAS empty, just me and my Garmin. I could practically taste that smilely coming my way. I strode confidently across the park, watching the feet-to-go count go down and honing in on that little cache. And then...thwarted! Two women and a toddler literally walk right up beside me and sit on the bench I was standing next to. I look at them, they look at me. I look down at my Garmin, they stare at me. I contemplate just going for it, one leans towards her friend and whispers "Gawd, could her phone BE any older?" I bail. :P

My husband promises we will go tomorrow but he seems waaaay less enthused then I.

I hope you posted this as your DNF log. It would be just about perfect! Better luck next time. :grin:

"Gawd, could her phone BE any older?"

ROFLMAO!!!! :P that is great!!

I myself am new to geocaching, and I once had a similar experience. I was lead to a public swimming pool and there was a swim session going on and lots of parents around, and I think mine was under a bench also... felt like a creeper... hightailed it out of there real quick!

Simple solution: just start walking around, looking at the "phone" and muttering "are they landing here?" "How many will get probed...?"

The muggles will clear out licketey-split.

:P absolutely love this one! Genius!

My husband always gets slightly grumpy when he sees muggles approaching and had a proper grumble-fest when three elderly walkers decided to take tea from their thermos whilst sitting about 25ft from the cache we were seeking. We have never looked for fish in a river for such a long time! Annoyingly enough, we then completely failed to find the cache when they did eventually move on. A thoroughly unsuccessful afternoon!

Just walk up to them and start talking ... and talking ... and talking. :)

It will be especially effective if you start talking about your car, your lawn, your boat, etc. etc. Nothing is sure to drive people away than a lonely stranger who tries to find a sympathetic ear to listen to their life story.

No, I've never tried it, but I've been the recipient and it always caused me to find an excuse to walk away.