Answers on travel bugs

Guest arffer

Guest arffer

I figured that if I could ask questions, I should answer those that I can too! icon_wink.gif

1. Once you have logged that you have retrieved (or purchased and activated) a travel bug, you will have a new option whenever you log a regular cache. This option asks if you dropped off any of the bug(s) in your possesion. This is how bugs are added to standard caches. Once you indicate that you left a bug in a cache, the bug icon will automatically show up on that cache's listing, and it will be removed from the list of bug(s) you are holding.
  2. There are three steps to getting your bugged item (hitchhiker) to show up in the gallery. First, make sure that the image is 300 pixels wide. If its wider, use a graphics program to reduce it. If its smaller, either enlarg it in a graphics program, or as I did, past your image into a 300 pixel wide white square, which will blend into the background of the web page, giving the appearance of a smaller image. Next, after logging in to geocaching and accessing your bug's page, use the owners link to upload an image located in the upper right corner near 'Edit'. Upload your image. Now the last step, click on the edit link mentioned before, and you will see a new option that wasn't there before to select an image to display for your bug. Select the image you just uploaded, and the image will be added to both the bug's page and the gallery.
  3. A little tip for those not overly familier with html. The text you type in the bug's box for About this item will show up along the left side of the image we just talked about. If you want to get your text down past the image so that it can be wider, just add this at the point in the text where you want to get past the image:

<br clear=all>
    Take a look at my bug Larry Boy to see an example.
  4. For the time being, realize that any test logs you make on a bug are stuck there. They can not be deleted by the bug owner or the one making the log entry.

We'll, if this helps anyone save time, then I'm happy. The gallery image part took me 45 minutes alone to figure out.

I'm going to have fun with these bugs!

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 03 October 2001).]

Guest Robereno

Thanks for the info. Seems like the most important thing is to keep the width at 300 on the original photo you submit to the website. Guess I have some work to do with photo shop tonight.

While were on the subject, a while back Jeremy provided a graphic file in the eps format. Apparently you can modify the size without losing detail. Just wondering, what program creates an eps formatted image? Illustrator? Is it a raster image?

Guess this is off the topic but if anyone has info for a novice (me) maybe you could drop me an e-mail.

Thanks

rob@creekbed.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well after I did a search I found this page which seems to answer my questions.

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/grp/techpubs/help/figures/eps.html#whatiseps

[This message has been edited by Robereno (edited 03 October 2001).]