Best camera to bring along that is resistant to the elements?

hesslv

Hey, looking to buy a camera seeing as how my digital camera just broke recently.

I would like a "rugged" outdoors camera that can be dropped, possibly waterproof, and

isn't extremely pricey.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!

Edited by hesslv

What's your budget? For $109, buy.com has an Olympus StylusTough 10 MP 3.6 X-ORANGE that's been refurbished. Good brand. Ryobie even makes a very rugged camera now--saw it at Lowes last week. Doesn't take the best of pictures, though. For kayaking, I bought a GFM (yeah, there's a popular brand) that came with a waterproof case for less than $50.

What's your budget? For $109, buy.com has an Olympus StylusTough 10 MP 3.6 X-ORANGE that's been refurbished. Good brand. Ryobie even makes a very rugged camera now--saw it at Lowes last week. Doesn't take the best of pictures, though. For kayaking, I bought a GFM (yeah, there's a popular brand) that came with a waterproof case for less than $50.

I'll check into that.

My budget is hopefully less than $150 is possible.

Just spent way more than I planned at REI on new gear!

If you can, can you please give a direct link to the $109 Olympus?

Searching for it at the moment, but can't seem to locate it.

And for the GFM, do you buy those from any sort of certain store?

Like an outdoors store?

Thanks for the suggestions!

If you have a local ollies bargain outlet. Not sure how many areas have them. They have an Olympus wp 10mp camera for $100 like this one Olympus WP. We have the SW 8mp and can say they are the most durable cameras on the market. My cat knocked it off the table and it fell on the tile floor and still works like nothing happened. The wp are only waterproof though but if you can find an SW model they can fall on concrete up to 5ft without breaking.

Edited by Druce_n_Eulla

Go buy the cheapest digital camera you can find. I can guarantee that you will never drop it, dunk it, lose it, forget it, or anything else.

If you purchase a decent camera you WILL drop it, dunk it, lose it, forget it, and anything else bad that can happen to a camera. :D

If you have a local ollies bargain outlet. Not sure how many areas have them. They have an Olympus wp 10mp camera for $100 like this one Olympus WP. We have the SW 8mp and can say they are the most durable cameras on the market. My cat knocked it off the table and it fell on the tile floor and still works like nothing happened. The wp are only waterproof though but if you can find an SW model they can fall on concrete up to 5ft without breaking.

Ok, I don't believe I have one near but I'll look into it.

WP means waterproof and SW means shockwave resistant? Right?

If I had to choose I would want the SW, drop resistant. Do they use this term

with all cameras or only Olympus if you know?

Go buy the cheapest digital camera you can find. I can guarantee that you will never drop it, dunk it, lose it, forget it, or anything else.

If you purchase a decent camera you WILL drop it, dunk it, lose it, forget it, and anything else bad that can happen to a camera. :D

Very true.

Just rather be safe than sorry. :D

Depending on prices I may have to do this.

Ok WP is waterproof and SW is Shock and Waterproof. My 850 SW aside from falling off my table because of my cat has also been down a waterslide while I shot a video the whole way down. I have taken pictures of fish underwater while out on my kayak and it has been in other areas that a normal camera shouldn't go.

Ok WP is waterproof and SW is Shock and Waterproof. My 850 SW aside from falling off my table because of my cat has also been down a waterslide while I shot a video the whole way down. I have taken pictures of fish underwater while out on my kayak and it has been in other areas that a normal camera shouldn't go.

Ok thanks!

I'll think about that when purchasing a camera.

Is this the GFM you bought?

http://www.amazon.com/GFM-Tdc-531k-Digital...3128&sr=1-1

How is it?

Yep, that's it. I've only used it while skiing, and the pictures are decent. Will be kayaking this weekend, so will give it a try. Have to use lithium batteries--it eats regular batteries in about 15 pictures. And, you need to buy an SD card, as the camera only holds a few pix. But, that's standard with most digitals, and cards are cheap. I bought this one because I have two other digitals and didn't want to spend a lot. Works for me.

Is this the GFM you bought?

http://www.amazon.com/GFM-Tdc-531k-Digital...3128&sr=1-1

How is it?

Yep, that's it. I've only used it while skiing, and the pictures are decent. Will be kayaking this weekend, so will give it a try. Have to use lithium batteries--it eats regular batteries in about 15 pictures. And, you need to buy an SD card, as the camera only holds a few pix. But, that's standard with most digitals, and cards are cheap. I bought this one because I have two other digitals and didn't want to spend a lot. Works for me.

Wow, really?

Good to know.

Thanks!

My Geocaching son pointed out something to me:

Get one that uses AA batteries. If you don't take many pictures you will have some back-up juice for the GPS'r and or vice versa.

See what I got for 4 years of tuition ... practical knowledge!!

That is practical, could be useful you never know.

Never even thought of that to be honest, haha!

http://waterproofdigitalcamerastore.com/

Side by side comparison\\ Pentax WP 90--gets high marks.

I've got a Pentax WP30 (an earlier version of the WP 90, I assume) and have been very happy with it. I've used to to take photos underwater and know another kayaker that uses one a lot using a helmet that he modified with an attachment for the camera. He's taken a ton of video with it, often while paddling in the surf zone (which often results in capsizing and rolling back up).

...850 SW...

Another hats off for Olympus. I am very rough on electronics. I used to take my wife's digital SLR with me on my kayak, till I dunked it in saltwater, killing it. My biggest complaint with her SLR was, I had to keep it in a Pelican case, and the time it took me to get it out of the box cost me several nice shots. I ended up with an Olympus Stylus 770 SW, (now discontinued), which has survived many years of abuse. Waterprrof to 33 feet, drop proof to 5 feet. It was pretty pricey then, but I just found this one on Ebay for less than $200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-Stylus-770-SW-...Digital_Cameras

I used to use a Pentax WPi (the first of the WP line)... we LOVED it, and got many years of rugged use out of it. With two kids and an outdoorsy lifestyle, it was GREAT to have a waterproof/mudproof/dustproof camera. Alas, finally dropped it one too many times and it died. :P Reviews showed that the newer WPs had changed a bit and I missed the one I had. Instead, we went with the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TS1... waterproof, shockproof, and it will take HD video in adition to great photos. We've been using it while caching for about 6 months now and LOVE it! :) It's a bit bulkier and heavier than the WP, but the straight edges allow for it being propped up for timer-photos (that means Momma gets in the photos too)! I feel that the extra money is well spent if I'm not replacing my camera all the time! Just my two cents, for what it's worth. Good luck in your search!

We got a Canon D10. Waterproof to 30 ft., drop-proof to 6 feet and has a great video camera. It's about $275 but a great little camera and easy to hold onto. We took it to Hawaii and used it in the ocean, pool and waterfalls. Only thing, it sinks. So you HAVE to keep it tight on your wrist if you swim with it.

Nikon D90. Best all purpose camera period. Get a fixed 35mm lens and you are good to go.

I don't think the D90 would be very good at being dropped on deck near the pool then bouncing into the water, but that's just my guess.

I have an Olympus Stylus 1030SW that is a few years old. Very durable. I don't like the lens placement, and the mic is subject to severe static discharge noises or something, but I'm not afraid to take it anywhere. In fact, I recently took it to an underwater cache. Here's a log with some pics.

Those Olympus stylus cameras are looking really nice, but the price is too much for now.

Maybe I'll have to pick up a cheap-o camera and save up for one of those.

They seem perfect, waterproof, shock proof, some freeze proof. Just what I need!

Nikon D90. Best all purpose camera period. Get a fixed 35mm lens and you are good to go.

Fantastic camera, but it's the complete opposite of what this guy is looking for! :(

OK, true. But I would argue that with the super lightweight 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens you can take it just about anywhere, unless you are rock climbing or rafting...

For the cache hunt I don't want to lug the d90 on I bring an old Canon PowerShot SD1000. Fits in the pocket, is rugged, lens retracts, and the picture quality is great. Cheap, too. When the PowerShot is even too much I have the camera on the iPhone, which is a must carry item for me.

If you want an all-purpose, super rugged camera that can handle water and temperatures I agree the Olympus Tough series is the way to go - not so cheap, though, if you want good quality pictures...

Also, if anyone knows any good monoculars, let me know please!

Some on amazon are <$30...but that seems just too cheap.

For example, if anyone knows, is this good? I have never purchased a monocular.

http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Echo-Zoom-Mo...ref=pd_sim_sg_2

The question I ask when talking about monoculars is do you wear glasses. If you wear glasses then the answer is don't skimp, mainly look at Long Eye Relief. I where glasses and most monoculars don't work for me (or binoculars). I bought a Brunton Eterna about 85-90 bux and love it. Durable and good optics with just enough eye relief with the rubber eye piece folded back to see well while wearing glasses. I have astigmatism and no amount of focusing and zoom will overcome that.

If you do not wear glasses then I would go with this (Eagle Optics Insight) it is cheap (30 bux) and looks decent for such a cheap optic. I bought one for my daughter who is 6 and not always careful. This is easy to justify replacing for that price. It fogged up once inside but then it went away. I think for that price I could take it apart and put it back together to dry it with no worries.