how do you see whos been looking at your cache?

antaries

is there a way to see whos watching your caches?

If it's any consolation, I'm one of them. Seriously. :P

Groundspeak considers it a privacy issue, and I see one of the moderators has posted a link to the knowledge base article on the subject.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Groundspeak considers it a privacy issue, and I see one of the moderators has posted a link to the knowledge base article on the subject.

i belive that if they are yours you should be able to see who is watching them i have one that 4 are watching and have no idea who they are makes you feel like there is a peeping tom watching you and dont know who they are what is the privacy on it they are yours i think that they need to change it

i belive that if they are yours you should be able to see who is watching them i have one that 4 are watching and have no idea who they are makes you feel like there is a peeping tom watching you and dont know who they are what is the privacy on it they are yours i think that they need to change it

Chill out.

And put a coaster under that glass.

How exactly is someone who has a cache of yours on their watchlist watching you??

Why? What purpose does it serve?

Right now I can think of at least three ways to watch your cache that you wouldn't even get a notice anyone was watching, two of which won't even show in the audit log of a MoC.

If anything, take the number off the page.

I like having the number there, even if I can't find out who it corresponds to. My wife & I have a cache series of 11 caches we hid this summer. They are all published under her GC.com account, so I am watching them to keep track of their statuses. All 11 of these caches have either 4 or 5 people watching them. I am one of those, and I know who one other is, but that's all I know for sure. Having so many people watching the caches tells me that people are interested in them. For a couple of them, I suspect that they are waiting for the weather to cool a bit (and a few mosquitoes to die) before they attempt to hunt them, and I personally wouldn't blame them. The fact that 2-3 people are following our caches even though they probably haven't even found most of them is a compliment to me. These caches have been out for over 2 months and some of them only have 1 or 2 finders, and the only person to complete the series got hooked after the first cache or to and completed the rest of the series in 2-3 days..

+1

Is there a suggestion for this on the feedback site?

JI has indeed threatened to "take the number off the page", back when he used to interact in these forums. I suppose someone is going to want a linky for that. Or you can just take my word for it. :)

The new feedback site would indeed be a good place to bring this up, if someone is so inclined.

I often put a watch on a cache I've not found in hopes that someone will find it and leave a log that gives me another clue as to where it might be or demonstrates by their DNF that it might in fact be missing. Then my watch is for the owner to perform maintenance either by archiving or repair/replacing.

Watching a cache isn't creepy it's another fun part of the game.

I often put a watch on a cache I've not found in hopes that someone will find it and leave a log that gives me another clue as to where it might be or demonstrates by their DNF that it might in fact be missing. Then my watch is for the owner to perform maintenance either by archiving or repair/replacing.

If you're "watch"ing a cache is to indeicate it needs maintenance, why not just log a "Needs Maintenance" log? If it means it should be archived, why not log a "Should Be Archived" log? If you log one of the other 2 log types, I as the cache owner, will get an email and act upon it. If you watch my cache, I won't know that unless I keep track of how many people are watching my caches and then I will still only know that you are watching it. One of our hides is a difficult hide. It currently has more DNF logs on it than "Found it" logs. It doesn't help that there are a large number of cachers with < 20 finds seeking a 3.5 difficulty hide when they are used to finding LPC's, but this cache is indeed still in place.

Why do we even have "Needs Maintenance" and "Should be Archived" log types if people are so afraid to use them (but that is a question for another discussion)?

If you're "watch"ing a cache is to indeicate it needs maintenance, why not just log a "Needs Maintenance" log? If it means it should be archived, why not log a "Should Be Archived" log? If you log one of the other 2 log types, I as the cache owner, will get an email and act upon it. If you watch my cache, I won't know that unless I keep track of how many people are watching my caches and then I will still only know that you are watching it. One of our hides is a difficult hide. It currently has more DNF logs on it than "Found it" logs. It doesn't help that there are a large number of cachers with < 20 finds seeking a 3.5 difficulty hide when they are used to finding LPC's, but this cache is indeed still in place.

Why do we even have "Needs Maintenance" and "Should be Archived" log types if people are so afraid to use them (but that is a question for another discussion)?

I really don't think the watch is intended as a way to notify the owner of a possible needs maintenance situation. The watch is so the cacher watching can be notified if the owner performs maintenance.

I really don't think the watch is intended as a way to notify the owner of a possible needs maintenance situation. The watch is so the cacher watching can be notified if the owner performs maintenance.

Well, that is how I would probably use it, but if we look at the message I responded to we see:

... Then my watch is for the owner to perform maintenance either by archiving or repair/replacing.

That seems pretty clear to me that they feel that their watching my cache should tell me it needs maintenance or archived because they are watching it and someone else DNF'ed it as well. I have a couple of caches that are good examples of how that logic fails because they are challenging hides that may apply a style many local cachers are not familiar with. My example caches have been drawing many inexperienced cachers recently, so there are many DNF logs for caches which are still in place and in fine condition.