Developing an EarthCache

catsnfish

1. How many EarthCaches have you developed? What types? (fossil, sedimentary, etc)

2. Do you feel the guidelines for submission are clearly stated? Are you aware of the recent changes?

3. What is your primary reason for developing an EC? (Master’s requirements, great site you wanted to share, other?)

4. Roughly how much time did you put into research?

5. Did you research online or in a library? Consult an expert?

6. How much time did it take to write the page?

7. Have you had to jump through hoops* to get permission? (*Being sent from person to person, major delays or requests for impact statements etc, not just a delay in receiving permission.)

8. Did you submit at EarthCache .org or on geocaching.com?

9. Did you find the submission process or forms to be difficult to use?

10. Have you had a submission returned, requesting more information?

11. Did you feel help was available from the EC (forum or local) community if needed?

12. How would you rate the overall difficulty you had in developing your EarthCache(s)? Please explain your reasons.

You may, of course, post to any or all of these questions and if desired provide a link to your EC.

Edited to add numbering, thanks KK&M.

Edited again to clarify questions 1 and 12.

Edited by catsnfish

1. How many have you developed? What types?

2. Do you feel the guidelines for submission are clearly stated? Are you aware of the recent changes?

3. What is your primary reason for developing an EC? (Master’s requirements, great site you wanted to share, other?)

7. Have you had to jump through hoops* to get permission? (*Being sent from person to person, major delays or requests for impact statements etc, not just a delay in receiving permission.)

11. Did you feel help was available from the EC (forum or local) community if needed?

12. How would you rate the overall difficulty of developing your EarthCache(s)? Please explain your reasons.

You may, of course, post to any or all of these questions and if desired provide a link to your EC.

Please forgive my edit (adding the numbers) to your questions, but I thought it would be easier to answer. I certainly can be wrong and at times, that admission is often proved, but if not anything I am honest in my responses so here goes:

1. 43 traditional, 4 multi, 1 letterbox, 2 unknown and last but not least, 59 earthcaches developed

2. No, not for ECs, others they are OK. Yes.

3. Definitely great site we wanted to share or present that dreaded WOW factor!

4. Average 2 to 3 hours per EC

5. We use online, our library and thank goodness for a PhD friend.

6. On average 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours. (we're slow!)

7. Yes, especially with the Feds, but if you keep at it, you will be successful!

8. Both

9. No

10. Yes, especially with the earlier ECs that we submitted.

11. Yes, if you can get past those who have crosses to bear!

12. Some easy, some very difficult.

I hope this helps. We are anxious to see other responses. Thanks. :D

I have placed about 150 caches of all types (except virtuals or locationless) - more if you count some joint caches through a separate account. 8 of them are earthcaches. I have adopted 2 earthcaches. I have one proposed earthcache pending before an agency. 1-4 more in line after that.

2. Do you feel the guidelines for submission are clearly stated? Are you aware of the recent changes? I am aware of the changes.

The site. My earthcaches have been in areas that I believe are worth seeing. I like to concentrate on areas where there are no other earthcaches or where traditional caching is not allowed. The wow factor is important.

4. Roughly how much time did you put into research? Hard to say. Ideas and research generally percolate. The earthcaches that have geological information on site generally have taken less time than those that do not since at least I know where to start.

5. Did you research online or in a library? Consult an expert? Both online and through the library. Some sites have geloogical information through interpretive signs or brochures. There are some very good books on the geology of the area.

6. How much time did it take to write the page? Up to 4 hours, perhaps longer. It is usually intertwined with research so it can be dispersed over several days.

The longest it has taken is about 4 months at a National Park where there were no other earthcaches and they wanted to be sure they were doing it right. They wrote to me about the the concept of earthcaching (if their staff would have any duties), the relationship with existing virtuals, public safety information, and reviewed the geological content of my submission.

One local agency had a change in management and even though there were existing earthcaches in the park, the current administration knew nothing about them and I had to inform them about not only my submission, but the existing earthcaches.

Some agencies have wanted to read the description and have their own geologists review it. Another wanted to see only a map of the placement. One was only concerned that people would be asked to take whatever they brought with them when they left. One agency did not want to see anything.

8. Did you submit at EarthCache.org or on geocaching.com? Both

9. Did you find the submission process or forms to be difficult to use? Much easier since the changes. Its nice to be able to submit the page as it is intended to be published.

10. Have you had a submission returned, requesting more information? Not really. I was once requested to provide a copy of the email from the official at a National Park who approved he earthcache - but nothing having to do with the content of the submission.

11. Did you feel help was available from the EC (forum or local) community if needed? N/A

12. How would you rate the overall difficulty of developing your EarthCache(s)? Please explain your reasons.

I try to keep my earthcaches simple, in part because I am not a geologist. Understanding the geology of the area has taken the most time, and then developing tasks or questions related to the geology.

Edited by mulvaney

Yes

To promote the educational aspects of geocaching.

Given my background in geology and earth science, not much.

If any research is needed it comes from online sources. In this area, I am considered the regional expert and have probably help develop more ECs than I’ve created. None the less, I’m pleased w/the increasing number of ECs in this area.

Most of my time is spent in field verification.

Nope, I prefer the face-to-face approach.

Earthcache.org

Nope

Nope

I find different perspectives through the EC Forum.

I try and keep them easy w/in the range of 1-1.5. I see no reason to make anything difficult when trying to teach someone who is unfamiliar w/the topic. These are suppose to be educational not competitive. I find many older people enjoy ECs…

1. How many EarthCaches have you developed? One published and another "in the works."

What type? Fossil

2. Do you feel the guidelines for submission are clearly stated? Yes, they are very clear and easy to follow.

Are you aware of the recent changes? Yes

3. What is your primary reason for developing an EC? There are only a few in the DFW area.

4. Roughly how much time did you put into research? 8 - 10 hours

5. Did you research online or in a library? Consult an expert? I was fortunate to discover a local association that answered my specific question promptly. They have an awesome website that gave me all of the information I needed and inspired me to think about other opportunities for ECs in our area.

6. How much time did it take to write the page? 2 hours

7. Have you had to jump through hoops* to get permission? Getting approval for my published EC was very easy. The EC that is "in the works" is delayed because I haven't gotten approval. I need to follow up with the city official.

8. Did you submit at EarthCache .org or on geocaching.com? I submitted it after they were combined.

9. Did you find the submission process or forms to be difficult to use? No, it was very easy and fast.

10. Have you had a submission returned, requesting more information? No

11. Did you feel help was available from the EC (forum or local) community if needed? Although I didn't have to ask for help, I certianly knew who to ask.

12. How would you rate the overall difficulty you had in developing your EarthCache(s)? Please explain your reasons. The difficulty depends on the location of the EC. Some public agencies are more friendly than others.

Edited by Winstonsmom

1. Three Earthcaches, all featuring eskers.

2. Yes and yes.

3. To teach people about interesting, though perhaps not spectacular geological features right beneath their feet.

4. Probably six hours of research, average, per Earthcache.

5. I conducted research online, spoke with experts, and consulted books from my personal library.

6. Once the research was ready, it took about two hours to write each Earthcache.

7. No hoops for permission. All of my Earthcaches are roadside and did not require special permission.

8. I submitted at Earthcache.org, using the old process.

9. I did not find the submission process difficult in any regard.

10. My Earthcaches were all published after their first submission.

11. I find that Earthcache help is easy to attain. The website is comprehensive, and there is active reviewer participation in the forum.

12. I had absolutely no difficulties getting any of my Earthcaches published.

1. 3 and one is waiting for review. Erratic rock, fossils, mineral springs and others

2. Not all is clear, you can spot it while reading some topics on this forum.

3. Show to people some geological interesting places in my area

4. It depends, few hours.

5. Online, books, "experts" and on inforation signs on site

6. Mostly 2 days - in one day write Polish text and another day translate to English.

7. The longest time I've waiting for approval was about 9 months.

8. On GC

9. Simple

10. Not yet

11. The forum is helpful, but what I have to say some people are unpleasant and malicious...

12. I'm trying make it not too hard to attract more people into this great fun.

1. How many EarthCaches have you developed? What types? (fossil, sedimentary, etc)

44 - across a range of topics

I am aware of the changes - and by following the forums one gets a good idea of applicability etc.

I love geography and earth related sites. So Earthcaching was a great way for me to include these into caching. I also travel to many remote areas (caching remote that is) - and initially I set up traditional caches - thatw ere difficult to maintain (evebn with local cachers in Uganda/Rwanda etc.). It is much easier to leave an Earthcache remotely too. There was a dearth of Earthcaches in all the areas I've travelled and lived (Middle East and africa) - so I was very keen to expand the number of caches in these regions. South Africa is now booming and sustainable - grew from 3 odd when I started to more than 100 now. Middle East is growing slowly.

Probably well over 10 hours on each.

in situ; internet; my own books and email correspondence with geologists in my network.

About 90 minutes

Permissions are difficult at times - I really try and aim for sites that are public domain and do not need additional access permissions. Much easier in my part of the world.

Both

No - GC.com is easier now.

Yes - about 3 or 4 - but all were eventually approved when I tweaked them. Mainly my misunderstanind (or pushing the boundary) of the guidelines.

yes - it sometimes took time - but always comes through. Most amazing is one that was approved within minutes of submission. Gary must have been bored and just waiting for me :P

12. How would you rate the overall difficulty you had in developing your EarthCache(s)? Please explain your reasons.

A lot more difficult than most traditional caches. I have also "matured" as I have placed more ECs. Some of my earlier ones are not so great (hindsight is always good) - and I would probably have done some of them a lot different - not so "academically" challenging - but more one the ground work needed.

This was my stumbling block when I tried to develop an EarthCache. The requirements were 'explicit written permission' (though many EarthCaches did not seem to have that...) I asked permission from the head ranger. She gave me verbal permission, but not the 'explicit written' permission. Follow up with letter and e-mail got no response. (This despite the fact that I maintained a trail in that park for fifteen years!) So I gave up.

All EarthCache sites developed must have prior approval of the landowners before submission (depending on local country laws and customs). When applicable you must have written approval with the appropriate owner or land-managing agency. The name and contact details of the person from who you received approval MUST be given at time of submission in the “Note to Reviewer”. The developed text should be sent to the landholder/manager for approval*. * Please note that by placing an EarthCache on public land, even with approval, does not mean you can use the public land logo in your text. For example, only EarthCaches developed by US National Park Service personnel in their park can display the NPS logo in their cache text.

'Explicit written permission' is now only required 'When applicable'. So, sometime, I may go back and work up the EarthCache. (I no longer maintain the trail.) It is definitely a unque area, and deserving of an EarthCache!

I spent several hours on Internet research on the area. I am trying to develop an interesting 'educational task' that cannot be Googled.

Aside from the one potential Guideline violation as well as a possible conflict with the TOU, I agree it looks great :)

I've done a couple of these "home experiment" type Logging Requirements, and generally I don't mind playing along, but I can't say the reception by the GC Community has been overwhelmingly positive.

My guess is that most folks prefer a task that can be done with materials available at the cache page coordinates.

My 0.02 :wub:

............. I am trying to develop an interesting 'educational task' that cannot be Googled.

Here is an interesting concept that will NEVER be Googled!! GC22YG4

Ooh! Sounds good! :) Naw. The state park would not like people taking home rocks...

It's a series on oval concentric petrified sand dunes, of purple puddingstone. I was thinkng of asking finders to "Find this tree" (with coords listed)

bbfe186d-0461-4d72-9784-9ecfa702c69c.jpg

Use your GPS to measure the depth of the valley west of this spot. (Insert photo of interesting rock formation at the bottom of the valley). I'm not sure that can be Googled...

But, I would also want finders to find the pond nestled in the ridges. I need a good question for that.

98772fb5-8d21-4e0a-9119-64903c348d85.jpg

Estimate the distance to the cliff of the other side of the pond? Arrow saying 'Follow trail to this point', and use GPS to give the distance? And the height of the cliff above the water level?

Dunno...

............. I am trying to develop an interesting 'educational task' that cannot be Googled.

Here is an interesting concept that will NEVER be Googled!! GC22YG4

Ooh! Sounds good! :unsure: Naw. The state park would not like people taking home rocks...

It's a series on oval concentric petrified sand dunes, of purple puddingstone. I was thinkng of asking finders to "Find this tree" (with coords listed)

Use your GPS to measure the depth of the valley west of this spot. (Insert photo of interesting rock formation at the bottom of the valley). I'm not sure that can be Googled...

But, I would also want finders to find the pond nestled in the ridges. I need a good question for that.

Estimate the distance to the cliff of the other side of the pond? Arrow saying 'Follow trail to this point', and use GPS to give the distance? And the height of the cliff above the water level?

Dunno...

My feedback / comments for you.

1. I would ask them to describe what "object" (this would be the tree) thay would find at the given co-ordinates rather than "find" the tree.

2. Asking to estimate the distance of the cliff could be guessed by using Google Earth measuring application.

3. Good idea to ask for the elevation at the water's edge - What does your GPSr indicate the elevation to be? You would need to accept an error margin in your logs.

By adding those 2 specific questions you could eliminate the arm chair loggers.

My 2c worth.

None. They are way to convoluted to get published plus they aren't even geocaches.

I have no idea why they are permitted anyway. I see no logic in it. If they are trying to take you somewhere to learn then lets make some museumcaches and librarycaches.

???

If that is your feeling about EarthCaches then what are you doing reading the EarthCaching Forums? Everybody is entitled to an opinion and fortunately we all have differing opions and interests. I suppose that is what makes caching such a great sport - we can CHOOSE what caches we wish to look for and those we wish to hide. I personally do not like Puzzle caches or micros. So what do I do - I have the choice to avoid them if I so wish.

Happy caching - searching for those caches that blow your hair back. EarthCaches blow mine back!

None. They are way to convoluted to get published plus they aren't even geocaches.

I have no idea why they are permitted anyway. I see no logic in it. If they are trying to take you somewhere to learn then lets make some museumcaches and librarycaches.

???

If that is your feeling about EarthCaches then what are you doing reading the EarthCaching Forums? Everybody is entitled to an opinion and fortunately we all have differing opions and interests. I suppose that is what makes caching such a great sport - we can CHOOSE what caches we wish to look for and those we wish to hide. I personally do not like Puzzle caches or micros. So what do I do - I have the choice to avoid them if I so wish.

Happy caching - searching for those caches that blow your hair back. EarthCaches blow mine back!

Good points! :unsure:

Harry Dolphin, I hope you feel encouraged to develop your EarthCache, it's a beautiful place that I would love to visit and learn about.

1. How many EarthCaches have you developed? What types? 6; 2 sedimentary, 2 river feature, 1 comparing soil types and 1 water table.

2. Do you feel the guidelines for submission are clearly stated? Are you aware of the recent changes? Yes.

3. What is your primary reason for developing an EC? (Master’s requirements, great site you wanted to share, other?) My first one was to qualify for the Silver Master and was a revival of an archived EC. My next 3 were to highlight features that Lewis and Clark wrote of in their journals. The fifth to highlight features at another historical location and my latest was an onsite example for a class I was giving on EarthCaching.

4. Roughly how much time did you put into research? A few hours each.

5. Did you research online or in a library? Consult an expert? Online research.

6. How much time did it take to write the page? Usually less than an hour.

7. Have you had to jump through hoops* to get permission? (*Being sent from person to person, major delays or requests for impact statements, etc. not just a delay in receiving permission.) No, generally asking permission is the last thing I do, so that I can send a formatted presentation of my page and get input from the land manager. That coupled with a good explanation of what EarthCaching is seems to have helped the permission process along for me.

8. Did you submit at EarthCache .org or on geocaching.com? All of mine were submitted through EarthCache .org

9. Did you find the submission process or forms to be difficult to use? No, but I am looking forward to using geocaching.com, especially once they have the wysiwyg editors.

10. Have you had a submission returned, requesting more information? Yes my second sedimentary EC needed more geology. My research had already been done; I just needed to add more of it to my descriptions.

11. Did you feel help was available from the EC (forum or local) community if needed? Yes, for the most part, I feel good suggestions are made and posters are friendly.

12. How would you rate the overall difficulty of developing your EarthCache(s)? Please explain your reasons. Low difficulty, I find the process of research and writing the page to be very enjoyable, good logging tasks can present a challenge to developing an EC but once those are decided upon the rest goes quickly.

1. 250+, I think I have missed a category or two. I don't think I've done an impact feature.

2. I think they are fine. I learned of the details after the fact, but I think they are pretty common sense.

3. I've always enjoyed geology and those people I hike with are interested in what I point out. Many features are often overlooked. This is a great way to point them out to more people.

4. Large variance. Some places already have field guides that just need 15-20 minutes. Other places are difficult to locate information for, 6 months or so to get the library to copy the correct article. I've been able to re-use some research.

5. On-line 80% of the time. Personal books most of the rest. Library only when there's an article that looks to be essential.

6. 1-2 hrs for typical ones. 20 min when reusing research on a new site. 3-4 hrs for more complex ones

7. I've had hoops, juggling on a ball, song and dances,... you name it. I've had to "electronically sign" agreements, submit special use permits, even submit a 12 page proposal to get test cases evaluated for a season. (They passed with flying colors by the way). Right now I'm working with a National Forest district that is being very particular about the technical details of the write up. I think I'm on the 3rd draft with them. Other places they have given me blanket permission to publish locations as I find them.

8. Both

9. I never do get the html correct off of the forms. I always add that later.

10. 2 or 3

11. Great support. I had a few of the figures generated by the community

12. I would put it at moderate to difficult where permission is needed, it takes time to explain it and get their consent. Where permission isn't needed, it is just moderate. The writing and research are the challenge there.

The other question of interest I find would be:

13. How long have you had to wait for permission?

I'm now going on 2 years waiting for 20+ to be approved in the Inyo National Forest. They just can't find the time to say they are OK. For ones that have been approved, it was just about 1.25 years. Yosemite where I had to write the proposal.

Well I just submitted my first earth cache and am on pins and needles waiting to see if it will be approved.

Good luck! :D Let us know how it goes.

Well, since this post I have actually developed 4 of them. What can I say, I really wanted to earn my platinum level! So here are my answers:

1. My first one was more ecological than anything else. It talked about the unique environment of our only temperate coniferous rainforest. It had just enough information about geological features to squeak by to get approved. My other 3 have been about land formations.

2. Do you feel the guidelines for submission are clearly stated? Are you aware of the recent changes? I had to go back and read them a few times. Plus, I ended up asking Geoaware a lot of questions. He was very patient with me, thank goodness!

3. What is your primary reason for developing an EC? (Master’s requirements, great site you wanted to share, other?) I guess I wanted to do it for the Master's requirement. But the whole reason why I was even trying for the Master's program was because I think EarthCaches are cool!

4. Roughly how much time did you put into research? My second one wasn't too hard and didn't require too much work. The first, third and fourth took me a few days of research.

5. Did you research online or in a library? Consult an expert? I researched at the site and online.

6. How much time did it take to write the page? My first required many revisions so it took a very long time. My second took 1-2 hours. My third and fourth each took 2-3 hours once I started writing, longer of course if you include the research.

7. Have you had to jump through hoops* to get permission? (*Being sent from person to person, major delays or requests for impact statements etc, not just a delay in receiving permission.) I had to jump through a few hoops, really it wasn't too bad. The hardest part was waiting for permission. The first was in a National Park so it took over a month to even get a form asking for permission. Then a few more weeks to get it approved. My third and fourth EC's I got permission fairly soon but the person in charge contacted me many times afterwards to make sure I was treating the area with respect. Once it got approved I sent a link to the pages and he didn't contact me again. Apparently he was satisfied.

8. Did you submit at EarthCache .org or on geocaching.com? geocaching.com

9. Did you find the submission process or forms to be difficult to use? Nope

10. Have you had a submission returned, requesting more information? The first one had to be returned several times. Ugh! It took a while! But that's OK, it was a learning process for me. My following caches were a much smoother process.

11. Did you feel help was available from the EC (forum or local) community if needed? Geoaware was very helpful. I'm sure that if I had felt that I needed more help I could have posted on the forums and gotten it. I don't really know any other cachers locally. :-(

12. How would you rate the overall difficulty you had in developing your EarthCache(s)? Please explain your reasons. It was a bit of a challenge to gather all of the information. But that's fine, it should be. The point of these things is to be educational so I can hardly complain about having to gather information.

And on a personal note, I have only been caching for 5 months. My very first cache was an EC and I was instantly hooked. I have no background in geology, or even science. I am a preschool teacher. I just really enjoy learning!