New Travel Bug to visit all 50 states

Guest regoarrarr

Guest regoarrarr

I have created a new travel bug to go along with Man-at-Arms. He has the goal to visit caches in all 50 states. I will be including some disposable cameras along with Man-at-Arms so that people can take some pictures of state Welcome signs as they cross state borders, as well as pictures of Man-at-Arms at various national landmarks.

I have created a webpage with instructions at http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/manatarms/index.cgi

I'll also print these instructions out to put in a plastic bag to go along with Man-at-Arms as he moves from cache to cache.

They haven't been placed in a cache yet as I'm still waiting for my travel bugs to arrive in the mail.

Anyway, my questions are:

1) Do the instructions listed seem detailed enough? Too detailed?

2) Being new at this, my understanding is that there is no need to create a separate "cache" page at Geocaching.com - the Travel Bug page will automatically log things? I was a bit confused when I saw the Puff and Stinky's Great Race page - do they have a separate cache page because they don't have an actual Travel Bug?

Any other comments, questions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Man-at-Arms will most likely start his journey within a week or so in the Cincinnati, OH area.

dan.

Guest Markwell

Puff & Stinky and Scooby & Shaggy had their pages set up LONG before Travel Bugs were released. This was the only way to track their movements at the time.

After arffer and I talked for a while, we both decided that we liked the old way of tracking on the cache pages as well as the travel bug method. I think we both decided that we'd leave the original hitchhikers like (Puff and the Pair) like they are complete with their updates, but any NEW hitchhikers we send out would be with the travel bugs. All of the features that we have to do manually with updating the cache page are taken care of with Jeremy's Travel Bugs.

As far as your instruction page, it's fine, but I would think you would want those instructions on the Travel Bug's page, not on a linked page (maybe you're just beta testing icon_wink.gif).

Three disposable cameras and a log book with maps etc. You're going to have to find mighty big caches to put this in. eek.gif Most smaller containers are already full of Happy Meal Toys, let alone this large packet of materials.

If there is any way you could consolidate the materials, that would be great. What about getting a little binder that holds 3x5 cards and putting the instructions, the state maps and everything else on 3x5 cards to be bound? That way Man-at-Arms could have his own little travel book. If people need a new page or two, they could just hole-punch some blank 3x5s.

I would also suggest against sending out 3 disposable cameras at once. That's an AWFUL lot of stuff to lug around. Another suggestion is to send out one camera. When that one gets full, have the person who has Man-at-arms mail you the camera and you can mail him a new one (or send him enough money to buy a camera and cover the postage for mailing).

Just my 2¢.

Guest Markwell

Puff & Stinky and Scooby & Shaggy had their pages set up LONG before Travel Bugs were released. This was the only way to track their movements at the time.

After arffer and I talked for a while, we both decided that we liked the old way of tracking on the cache pages as well as the travel bug method. I think we both decided that we'd leave the original hitchhikers like (Puff and the Pair) like they are complete with their updates, but any NEW hitchhikers we send out would be with the travel bugs. All of the features that we have to do manually with updating the cache page are taken care of with Jeremy's Travel Bugs.

As far as your instruction page, it's fine, but I would think you would want those instructions on the Travel Bug's page, not on a linked page (maybe you're just beta testing icon_wink.gif).

Three disposable cameras and a log book with maps etc. You're going to have to find mighty big caches to put this in. eek.gif Most smaller containers are already full of Happy Meal Toys, let alone this large packet of materials.

If there is any way you could consolidate the materials, that would be great. What about getting a little binder that holds 3x5 cards and putting the instructions, the state maps and everything else on 3x5 cards to be bound? That way Man-at-Arms could have his own little travel book. If people need a new page or two, they could just hole-punch some blank 3x5s.

I would also suggest against sending out 3 disposable cameras at once. That's an AWFUL lot of stuff to lug around. Another suggestion is to send out one camera. When that one gets full, have the person who has Man-at-arms mail you the camera and you can mail him a new one (or send him enough money to buy a camera and cover the postage for mailing).

Just my 2¢.

Guest regoarrarr

Markwell,

thanks for your input. Yes, I am still beta-testing things. I don't actually have a travel bug yet as I'm waiting for them to come in the mail. Once I do, I'll set up an official page on the site with instructions. I will probably still keep the linked page for more detailed information as well.

Your suggestions about only including one camera and otherwise limiting the size of the container are good ones as well. That also solves the problem of what to do if I run out of pictures. I don't think that all the stuff will be too big, but after I get everything all set, I'll see how big things are.

Thanks, and anyone else that wants to make some comments is welcome.

dan.