Travelbug question

alldatndensum

I have a new travel bug that I am set to release into the wild. I was editing the TB and the site is asking me if it is collectible? What exactly does this mean? I know that TBs are to be found, logged, and moved to a new cache. If I mark it as "collectible", does that prevent it from being logged and moved?

Collectibles, as I understand it, can only be Discovered. They can't be grabbed into someone else's inventory.

The reason you can't drop a TB, is because it's not in your inventory. Try grabbing it from the cache page.

Collectable also implies that a finder can keep it.

I don't think so. As the Knowledge Book explains it, the purpose of tagging an item as collectible is to allow it to be moved from your trackable inventory, into your collectible inventory. Once in your collectible inventory, it doesn't show up in your inventory when you post logs. That's the intent, but it appears to be broken right now, as you can move non-collectibles into your collectible inventory. I expect that will be resolved in another release.

I don't think so. As the Knowledge Book explains it, the purpose of tagging an item as collectible is to allow it to be moved from your trackable inventory, into your collectible inventory. Once in your collectible inventory, it doesn't show up in your inventory when you post logs. That's the intent, but it appears to be broken right now, as you can move non-collectibles into your collectible inventory. I expect that will be resolved in another release.

I'm pretty sure the collectible/non-collectible setting is working as expected:

I was able to move my own trackables into my collection (whether they were marked "collectible" or not.) This makes sense to me. Ownership trumps collectability. This also means I don't have to remember to edit them if I decide to release one into the wild.

I also have in my possession a TB that I transferred ownership of to my son's caching account. I was not able to move that one from my inventory to my collection when the collectible preference was not set. Once it was set to "yes" I was able to move it to my collection. (And when it was set to "no" again, it was immediately moved from my collection to my inventory.)

I'm pretty sure the collectible/non-collectible setting is working as expected:

I was able to move my own trackables into my collection (whether they were marked "collectible" or not.) This makes sense to me. Ownership trumps collectability. This also means I don't have to remember to edit them if I decide to release one into the wild.

I also have in my possession a TB that I transferred ownership of to my son's caching account. I was not able to move that one from my inventory to my collection when the collectible preference was not set. Once it was set to "yes" I was able to move it to my collection. (And when it was set to "no" again, it was immediately moved from my collection to my inventory.)

Yes, I've heard back on my inquiry to Groundspeak on this. The Knowledge book is a bit vague on exactly how this works, and leaves out the fact that it works slightly different on trackables you own. If you own a trackable, you can move it in and out of the col. inventory without having to set it to be a collectible.