Hiding my first Cache

Hey guys! I recently started geocaching and i really want to hide my first cache. I had an idea for a cache, but i wanted to see what you guys thought, or see if it had been done before before i give it a try. online you can find all sorts of puzzle boxes that are really tough to open. i was thinking of getting one and (since they are usually not waterproof) putting them inside a normal cache, but having the log and all the goodies inside the puzzle box. the only think i'm curious about is would that sort of defeat the purpose of caching, because they would have to FIND the cache in order to have a go at the puzzle box, but if they can't open the box, they end up in a sticky situation where they technically FOUND the cache but could not sign the log. what do you guys think?

another similar idea i had would be to do a multi-cache with the puzzle box protecting the coordinates to the next (or final) stage. what do you guys think about something like that?

has anything like this been done before? if so, did it work out at all?

Hey guys! I recently started geocaching and i really want to hide my first cache. I had an idea for a cache, but i wanted to see what you guys thought, or see if it had been done before before i give it a try. online you can find all sorts of puzzle boxes that are really tough to open. i was thinking of getting one and (since they are usually not waterproof) putting them inside a normal cache, but having the log and all the goodies inside the puzzle box. the only think i'm curious about is would that sort of defeat the purpose of caching, because they would have to FIND the cache in order to have a go at the puzzle box, but if they can't open the box, they end up in a sticky situation where they technically FOUND the cache but could not sign the log. what do you guys think?

another similar idea i had would be to do a multi-cache with the puzzle box protecting the coordinates to the next (or final) stage. what do you guys think about something like that?

I like the idea. I think there have been variations on it. I'm pretty sure there's been a puzzle box of some type in a cache, but I haven't encountered one that was just a premade box puzzle. However, I don't know how well it will go over. If it's listed as a traditional cache, I'd be worried someone might get frustrated and break it. I would make it a mystery cache even if you'll just be providing the coordinates. After all it does require a puzzle to find the log.

I like the idea. I think there have been variations on it. I'm pretty sure there's been a puzzle box of some type in a cache, but I haven't encountered one that was just a premade box puzzle. However, I don't know how well it will go over. If it's listed as a traditional cache, I'd be worried someone might get frustrated and break it. I would make it a mystery cache even if you'll just be providing the coordinates. After all it does require a puzzle to find the log.

well that would have been a given. obviously i would have listed it as a puzzle cache, if i don't go with the multi cache

I've done a couple of times. Buy a few of the puzzle boxes because they will get broken pretty quickly. Some cachers want the smiley as fast as possible and don't want to mess with anything that slows them down and will use tools to open the box.

I had an idea for a cache, but i wanted to see what you guys thought...

A few intemperate thoughts;

1 ) Is that a Utilikilt in your profile pic? Extra kudos for that!

2 ) I would personally suggest you hold off on hiding a cache for a little while. While there is no rule requiring X number of finds before you hide, and some folks are able to create awesome hides right from the beginning of their caching careers, experience is an awesome teacher. I can't help but think BillyBob with 50 very different finds will have a broader view regarding what works and what doesn't, than BillyJoe with 5 very similar finds. I should reiterate that this is just my opinion, and is in no way a Groundspeak requirement.

3 ) The Wherigo cache I'm building now is going to include a puzzle box inside an ammo can as one of its stages. As 9Key pointed out, these boxes are often quite delicate, and even without someone brute forcing their way into them, they can get broken fairly easily. My plan is to buy a few of them to have on hand, in the event one gets broken. Just something to consider.

I had an idea for a cache, but i wanted to see what you guys thought...

A few intemperate thoughts;

1 ) Is that a Utilikilt in your profile pic? Extra kudos for that!

2 ) I would personally suggest you hold off on hiding a cache for a little while. While there is no rule requiring X number of finds before you hide, and some folks are able to create awesome hides right from the beginning of their caching careers, experience is an awesome teacher. I can't help but think BillyBob with 50 very different finds will have a broader view regarding what works and what doesn't, than BillyJoe with 5 very similar finds. I should reiterate that this is just my opinion, and is in no way a Groundspeak requirement.

3 ) The Wherigo cache I'm building now is going to include a puzzle box inside an ammo can as one of its stages. As 9Key pointed out, these boxes are often quite delicate, and even without someone brute forcing their way into them, they can get broken fairly easily. My plan is to buy a few of them to have on hand, in the event one gets broken. Just something to consider.

yes, that is a utilikilt!

and yea, i can see what you are saying about the puzzle box

First of all, utilikilts are AWESOME. I wish I could convince my husband to wear one. Second, I think a puzzle box would be really a fun thing to find. You've gotten a lot of good advice already, but I know that there are folks out there who would love to find this sort of thing.

I recommend for your first cache though, to hide a traditional because then you can get a good idea of how cache ownership works with maintenance, dealing with finders, etc. and then you can decide whether to put in the time and expense of a puzzle box.

First of all, utilikilts are AWESOME. I wish I could convince my husband to wear one. Second, I think a puzzle box would be really a fun thing to find. You've gotten a lot of good advice already, but I know that there are folks out there who would love to find this sort of thing.

I recommend for your first cache though, to hide a traditional because then you can get a good idea of how cache ownership works with maintenance, dealing with finders, etc. and then you can decide whether to put in the time and expense of a puzzle box.

that sounds like a fair point. Yea, right now I only have one Utilikilt, so I can't wear it all the time, but come christmas, i'm hoping to have 1 or 2 more, because they are just so stinking cool, although they are really expensive.

I've found a puzzle-box cache before. It was listed as a mystery/puzzle cache, and was placed near the cache owner's home where he and his family could keep an eye on it. It was also placed inside a larger waterproof container to protect it somewhat from the elements.

Even if the box itself isn't broken, the mechanism is likely to get looser as a result of use and exposure to weather. As others have suggested, buying a few replacement boxes is probably a good idea. Also, try to choose a puzzle box that is more rugged, rather than one of the more delicate ones.

You may also consider making the puzzle box a "geocaching game piece", rather than the actual cache itself. As others have suggested, you could put the coordinates for the next stage inside the puzzle box. You could also make the actual cache be a smaller container within the puzzle box. The difference is that those who find just the puzzle box won't have found the actual cache; they still need to open the puzzle box before they can claim to have found the cache.